PDA

View Full Version : Navy arms wing musket caps

KyBill
08-29-2013, 10:43 PM
Recently bought a 58 cal Remington Zouave lots of extras.1000 Navy arms winged caps in paper pack . (have more tins from Germany250 caps each) . should I hold onto these & buy regular caps cannot find much info .8052280523

fouronesix
08-29-2013, 10:48 PM
Yeow, that's a nice extra! I'd be tempted to try a few and see how they fire. If they act right, I'd keep them and use them. While not as market scarce as some of the center fire primers have been, I've still seen spotty availability of good musket caps the last 6-8 months- not to mention the steady increase in price.

Baron von Trollwhack
08-30-2013, 05:00 AM
Those are great caps for the CW minie' guns. I believe RWS made them for NA. Absolutely reliable and made to high standards. I used them for many, many years, and no others for my rifles.

NOT A REENACTOR!

BvT

OverMax
08-30-2013, 06:59 AM
RWS are the best when it comes to musket caps. Shoot em. Don't save em. You can buy more from Track of the Wolf when you need too. A 58 you say. Wow!! you'll have to buy two box's of lead at a time to feed it. Lucky you. lol

bob208
08-30-2013, 12:32 PM
I got 2 sleeves of them when we at the warehouse in W.V years ago. paid $20 a sleeve. should have bought more. they are rws and very good caps. I even use rws for my other cap locks even pistols.

fouronesix
08-30-2013, 12:37 PM
Didn't know Track had caps. I know some of the suppliers who have musket caps only have the low poop re-enactor types. Plus, whether the hazmat fee is built into the price or not, it does get paid for.

No matter, those musket caps are a real bonus to the deal on the musket. Hope it shoots well. BTW is that an original Rem Zouave or repro? If original with a good bore- they are nice!!

Fly
08-30-2013, 08:17 PM
Track of the wolf sells musket caps??????I did not know that.

Fly

KyBill
08-30-2013, 10:10 PM
OverMax I get 15 mini bullets per pound I casted about 200 to get started had to add tin (to many rejects) . I get a lot of waterline lead from construction .This is My 1st 58 it is an Hy Hunter built in 1963 . I am the 2nd owner and it is Mint Condition. The guy who bought it new was an Reenactor and kept a show piece got all His molds , Reciepes for the bullets and yards that was a big plus

fouronesix
08-30-2013, 10:27 PM
Sounds good. The bore should be near perfect then! Ought to shoot well. I know the locks on some of those need a little work depending on the manufacturer. They all work OK and fire but sometimes the sear nose ticks or glances off the top of the half cock notch (since the design doesn't incorporate a fly)- especially noticeable when really squeezing slowly when trying to hold steady for best accuracy.

OverMax
08-31-2013, 05:26 AM
For those not knowing. I buy my caps and other needs there in person. I assume on-line customer's could place their order for em as well. The last non current catalog I got from them list a full complement of: CCI, Remington, RWS 4-6 flange availability.

KyBill
Sounds like you got one he11ava deal from the previous owner. Powder recipes, caps, and all you say. NICE!!

Boyscout
08-31-2013, 08:17 AM
I have used these caps on my 50 cal. Traditions Lightning Fire (1:32 Twist) muzzle loader. The only issues I have are the same for the RWS caps I have used. I have to squeeze the wings to make sure I have a tight fit on the nipple, make sure I have them pressed on firmly and the metal tins hard to open at times. If I don't ensure a tight fit I get occasionly misfires or lose the cap. I use this rifle for hunting and it is dead on accurate with Barnes Red Hots with sabots. I plan on using my Lyman 250 Devastators this year in the same.

bob208
08-31-2013, 10:16 AM
boyscout do you have a nipple for the musket caps in your rifle? I have known of others who have tried to use musket caps on the nipple for number 11 caps and they have the exact same problem you are.

bob208
08-31-2013, 10:20 AM
kybill get a nipple like the nssa shooters use. it is like a hotshot. a lot of the repros have too large of a hole in them. if the hammer is being blown back to half or full cock is a good indication also.

KyBill
08-31-2013, 03:10 PM
bob208 havent had the hammer blow back my max load so far 60gr.but the blow back spreads the top hats out considerably. I will check into changing the nipple wouldnt hurt any to update it .