PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Powder Measure Questions

What Cheer
08-29-2013, 10:00 PM
Were the open drum type Hollywood measure bodies made from cast iron or aluminum alloy?

The drums, same question?

Thanks, and best regards,

What Cheer

LUBEDUDE
08-29-2013, 10:50 PM
Those first two models, both open and closed were cast aluminum, as were the drums as well.

Evidenced by an article from AMERICAN RIFLEMAN in October, 1955, to quote " The Hollywood Model M micrometer powder measure, the Hollywood micrometer shot measure of almost identical design, and the Turret and Senior reloading presses of the same make, are currently produced with their aluminum alloy working parts coated with an extremely hard aluminum oxide. This is formed on and in the metal itself and is stated to have a hardness of 83 Rockwell C which is in the jewel range, much beyond even casehardened steel"

I can testify to that hardness as mentioned on another thread!

The third model powder measure weighs about 4x as much as the previous ones for it is cast "Meehanite", a steel type casting of great strength and wear resistance, as promoted by Hollywood.
The third models are easy to spot by the micrometers being center rather than on the side. Also it does not have a bench clamp.

What Cheer
08-31-2013, 06:42 PM
LUBEDUDE,

Thanks for your reply. The reason for asking the question, on the 55 Project site they state that the first Micrometer measure, introduced in 1949, was plated to resist rust. That made me wonder if they were made of cast iron.

I have never actually seen or handled one of the open drum variations.

Thanks again. and best regards,

What Cheer

HGS
09-02-2013, 05:59 PM
LUBEDUDE,

any chance that you could post pic's of the difference between the different models of Hollywood powder measures you are talking about??

HGS

Pressman
09-02-2013, 08:50 PM
They are cast iron. The real early ones are bare steel and plated, later they were painted. Aluminum entered sometime around 1953, I have not been able to pin down the date or if iron and aluminum measures and presses were made at the same time.
Ken

LUBEDUDE
09-03-2013, 02:52 AM
If All open models are "first" models, I have a hard time believing that mine is cast iron after feeing how heaving my third model is. However, if I was betting money, I'd put it all on Pressman

There are some time figures that muddy up the waters a bit. 1949/project, 1953 aluminum, 1955 American Rifleman. Throw in Hollywood craziness for extra measure, yeah, I'll take Ken!

LUBEDUDE
09-03-2013, 02:59 AM
HGS- my computer with all my pics is down, I am using my iPad now.

If just drop to the bottom and start maybe 10 pages down, scroll or do a search for "help with Hollywood powder measures".

There are pics of all three and as usual, Pressman comes to the rescue.

What Cheer
09-03-2013, 07:14 PM
LUBEDUDE,

Pressman's post says that the aluminum alloy measures appeared around 1953. The information I have access to, which is the same that we all have access to, tells us that the solid drum measures appeared in 1955. Therefore it would seem that the open drum measures were produced in both cast iron and aluminum alloy.

Do your open drum measures pass the magnet test?

Best regards,

What Cheer

What Cheer
09-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Pressman,

Thanks for your reply, I'm learning.

Best regards,

What Cheer

LUBEDUDE
09-06-2013, 03:02 PM
LUBEDUDE,

Pressman's post says that the aluminum alloy measures appeared around 1953. The information I have access to, which is the same that we all have access to, tells us that the solid drum measures appeared in 1955. Therefore it would seem that the open drum measures were produced in both cast iron and aluminum alloy.

Do your open drum measures pass the magnet test?

Best regards,

What Cheer

What Cheer, sorry it took so long to get back.

All of my reloading equip is in storage far from my house.

All I could find were 3 "second" models. They did NOT pass the magnet test.

I hope to have everything home in a few months and I can check then.

Pressman
09-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Early 1st model with plated frame and separate bench clamp

Later 1st Model with cast iron frame and integral bench clamp. These are the most common 1st models. 2nd Model appears the same except the cylinder is solid rather than open through the center.

LUBEDUDE
09-07-2013, 03:40 PM
My first model(s) look like the second pic, however I do have a plated one or two with bench clamp as well.