PDA

View Full Version : 311252 in 32 H&R ?

BigSlick
10-21-2007, 12:49 PM
Hi guys,

One of my buds just called and picked up a mould for me at the Tulsa gunshow. He knows I'm a .32 freak and he found a box of moulds and started digging.

I've done a little work with the 78gr Ballisticast bullet (I like it) and have been out of those bullets and don't have a source for any more.

So the mould I have coming in is a 311252. 77gr 2 lube groove RN, most likely intended for 30 Carbine or 32 ACP.

I size everything I shoot in the 32 Mag to .313 and get great results. The 311252 supposedly drops .311 bullets, but I'm pretty sure they'll drop a hair bigger, maybe .313 if I'm lucky.

The bullet doesn't have a crimp groove, but it does have two lube grooves. I'm thinking (again, if I'm lucky here) I can lube the lower groove and crimp in the top groove, or lube both grooves and taper crimp.

My SP101 throats are dead on at .3125, groove diameter is .312. With everything I've fired at .313 and a dose of Lar's Red, I 've experienced zero leading.

64,000 dollar question is, is the mould worth looking at with 32 Mag or 32 SWL ?

If not, I'll sell it or trade it. If it is, I'm gonna shoot a bunch of these for plinkers and such.

Any suggestions/experience with this combo ?

Anyone want to swap for a 32-98-SWC RCBS instead ?

I'll have the mould in hand in a couple of weeks when I get home, but my buddy says it's in perfect shape and looks unused. Not sure he would know, but it sounds good.

Here's a pic

http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/highresimage?saleitemid=461284
________
Exiga (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Subaru_Exiga)

Larry Gibson
10-21-2007, 01:31 PM
I've a 31227 which is pretty much the same only 90 gr. The bullets of WWs drop .312. They shot ok in S&Ws which most often did better with .314 bullets. However in my Ruger SS which has .311 throats they shoot quite well over 3 gr Bullseye. Great for grouse as they slip through without much meat damage. Not good "stoppers" on jack rabbits though. Good plinkers but with a 6 cavity Lee TL314-90-SWC the lyman mould hasn't got much use in years.

Larry Gibson

9.3X62AL
10-21-2007, 02:06 PM
My only use of #311252 was in the 32 ACP, some commercial castings from a gun show quite a while back. They did well in the 32 ACP with both grooves filled with the commersh candlewax/crayon hard stuff.

Option 3 for crimping might be to seat with front drive band at or just below the case mouth, and a roll crimp of a strength suited to the powder charge/type involved.

If you don't care for the mould, I would be amenable to buying it. The RCBS 98 SWC will be staying, though. :)