PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Manual

xs11jack
08-29-2013, 09:24 PM
I am getting a used Jet metal lathe Model 920N tomorrow and would like to have a owners manual for it. If anyone out there has a spare or one that can be copied easily, would you help me out. I can afford a small fee and pay for postage. Thank you.
Ole Jack
PS I would have posted this sooner to have the manual at the time the lathe got here, but I just got out of the hospital for a small bowel obstruction. Man, those things are a pain!
OJ

dkf
08-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Jet has some manuals listed online. Type "920" in the search window in the link below and see if any of those are what you are looking for. As a whole manual lathes are very similar in design/function with some minor differences.

http://www.jettools.com/us/en/service-and-support/manuals/

oldred
08-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Far more than just similar, the Jet is the same exact lathe as the the Harbor freight 9x20 (I know for a fact as I had both of them), the Grizzly 920, Enco 920 and several other brands of the same machine, the only difference is the color. The point is if you can find a manual for any of theses machines it will pretty much cover the Jet.

http://images.harborfreight.com/manuals/45000-45999/45861.pdf

Just a note, I think the Jet 920n is the older model which was identical to the others but the newer models have some cosmetic changes made to the headstock sheetmetal and some of the controls to make it appear different, still the same basic machine however.

oldred
08-30-2013, 09:33 AM
Duplicate post

montana_charlie
08-30-2013, 01:32 PM
https://www.zeekly.com/index.php?page=search/web&search=owner%27s+manual+Jet+920N&type=Web&fl=0

David2011
08-30-2013, 06:23 PM
xs11jack,

If you're new to operating a lathe, "How to Run a Lathe" by the South Bend Lathe Company is highly recommended. It's available through Brownell's and possible as a free PDF online.

David

oldred
08-30-2013, 06:48 PM
xs11jack,If you're new to operating a lathe, "How to Run a Lathe" by the South Bend Lathe Company is highly recommended. It's available through Brownell's and possible as a free PDF online.David

X2 on that one! More good info packed into that than a person is likely to find anywhere else short of taking classes.

moreau
08-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Machinist here, pro & hobby. FYI all these Chinese lathes are either built at same plant or made to the same prints. I have bought parts for my HF 12 x 36 from Grizzly with no problems. They have a good website and service.

Practicalmachinist.com is a great place to learn Don't mention what lathe as hobby chinese equipment is forbidden. Questions on techniques are fine and there are some very knowledgable and helpful people the there

oldred
08-30-2013, 10:15 PM
FYI all these Chinese lathes are either built at same plant or made to the same prints. I have bought parts for my HF 12 x 36 from Grizzly with no problems. They have a good website and service.

I bought a new Jet 9x20 and payed waaaaaaay to much for the darn thing because of the name only to later get a HF version in a trade for some tractor parts, the ONLY thing different between the two was the paint! When I bought my 14x40 I bought the HF version this time and sure enough it's the same as my buddy's Enco 14x40 and looks identical to the Birmingham YCL 1440 which costs a good deal more, the really telling part is that when HF first offered this particular machine the on-line owners/parts manual was a link to the Birmingham YCL 1440 manual! That link has since changed but we all got a big kick out of it at the time.

BTW, check out Homeshopmachinest those guys will help anyone and they don't look down on Chinese machine owners, don't necessarily approve of Chinese stuff but everyone is welcome and there are a lot of Chinese owners there.