PDA

View Full Version : Top Punch info needed

bradmugs
08-29-2013, 09:12 PM
HI, I finally started melting lead, have a friend that's been showing me things and I've actually done it. I've got a Lyman sizer & lubricator and need a Top Punch for it - going to use a Lee 452-200 SWC model 90348 - thats the H&G 68 shape - what Top Punch do you recommend?

bradmugs
08-29-2013, 10:14 PM
What a great site! Found a thread talking all about Top Punches = what I need is a #460 Top Punch. Thanks!

runfiverun
08-30-2013, 12:25 AM
or for that flat nose none at all.
a bolt cut off to near the appropriate length will do the job on about 50 different boolits.

oldpapps
08-30-2013, 08:20 AM
Back when I experimented with lots of strange nose shaped bullets, I would make 'I'/nose punch fillers with hot glue. Oil a bullet and run 'hot glue' on and into the nose cavities, let it set up, pull it off and trim to fit into my Lyman 450 sizer. They would last longer than I expected and I didn't disturb the very soft (pure lead in most cases) front portion of my two piece bullets. I should note, even with some excellent expansion from the soft front half and higher velocities with the harder back ends, the accuracy was dismal at best. And an alarming number would just separate. I gave up the attempt.

Always error on the side of safety,

OSOK

ultramag
08-30-2013, 08:35 AM
There's a lot of ways to skin this cat. You can also use a TP that is really made for a larger SWC bullet nose.

Example, I just sized 1000 of the exact bullet you're asking about with a 421 TP.