PDA

View Full Version : There's gotta be a market for............

JeffinNZ
10-21-2007, 04:38 AM
Spent primers and wheel weight clips.

Man, I never have a shortage of either................

Lloyd Smale
10-21-2007, 05:21 AM
primers are brass and can be sold as scrap as can ww clips be sold for scrap steel.

trooperdan
10-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Is the anvil in a primer also brass? Man, I've tossed out a lot of brass then! Sure would be a dirty smelt, with all that residue in there though!

monadnock#5
10-21-2007, 09:40 AM
The last time I went to the scrap yard, my spent primers were enclosed in a baggie on top of the pile of brass, anvils included. The attendant picked up the bag, eyeballed it severely, then tossed it back on the pile and gave me the full cash price.

mike in co
10-21-2007, 10:27 AM
brass is almost $2/lb at the scrap yard, and steel is 95/ton....
if your gonna shoot lead, you are a recycler , so dont throw money away.

mike

Sundogg1911
10-22-2007, 11:32 AM
I tried to scrap some brass here in Pittsburgh. they wouldn't take it just in case there was a live primer or a loaded round in the barrel, so instead the guy gave me about a thousand of once fired 40 S&W's and about a thousand once fired 9's that were turned in from a police range. (He was as happy to get rid of them as I was to take them)

JeffinNZ
10-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Well done Sundog.

Hard to imagine how even a loaded round would be a problem in a crucible of molten brass. Surely it would just go 'futt'?

kodiak1
10-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Sundogg I would say you deffinetly came out ahead on that deal.
Ken.

cattleskinner
10-23-2007, 01:20 AM
They pulled that one on me here in Ohio too, almost verbatim. They were afraid of a live round being mixed in. :roll:

~Amos

S.R.Custom
10-23-2007, 02:01 AM
Eh... the steel tire clips go in the trash. But the primers all go in a big coffee can. And when the can is full, I make a special run of my patented "cups & anvils" 12 gauge shells. They make great range plinkers and bush blasters. Good times, boys... :-D

Ken O
10-23-2007, 10:49 PM
A couple years ago I posted how surprised I was when I had a coffee can of spent primers, took them to the scrap yard and got $20. The guy pushed a mangnet in the can and stirred it around, nothing stuck and he said that was good clean brass. The price has gone up since then, I'm now thowing them in with my split neck brass, .22rf cases etc. I'm working on filling a 5 gallon bucket now.

Typecaster
10-24-2007, 12:06 AM
My favorite scrap yard manager saves "live" stuff for me—even if I don't buy anything, he'll ask if I want the "bad stuff." Usually it's destined for the trash, but there have been some interesting folded-head cases (caliber undetermined, as yet) and some old .45 LC, and a bunch of 5.56 AP in stripper clips.

I have a policy of never using ammo someone I don't know has loaded. On the other hand, if I take someone out to the range, I'm happy to let them use what I've loaded. Go figger...

randyrat
10-24-2007, 05:49 AM
Eh... the steel tire clips go in the trash. But the primers all go in a big coffee can. And when the can is full, I make a special run of my patented "cups & anvils" 12 gauge shells. They make great range plinkers and bush blasters. Good times, boys... :-D LOL.. i like that. I'll have to load a couple up and try them. I'll have to dig out the 1 1/2 oz shot cups. Scatter gun loads.

S.R.Custom
10-24-2007, 11:40 AM
The spent primer... detritus... is all brass, so it won't foul the bore; you can cut the petals off the wad and get more payload. Indeed, if you have a plastic fouled bore, five or six rounds of this stuff will clean it right out...

Payload weight will vary with the wad and hull you use, of course, so the mocking up of a couple of rounds and weighing the "shot charge" to determine the correct powder charge is necessary.