PDA

View Full Version : HELP- I got a walnut stump

nekshot
08-29-2013, 07:08 AM
I have been offered a walnut stump. I can take what I want and leave the rest. The tree blew over and the logs are gone. I have heard alot about the wood in the stumps but never saw it done or heard how to do it properly. Trust me my son and I can make pieces out of it but do any of you know how to do it properly or do you square it up like a tree trunk? Stinks I still can only lift 5 pounds but we will get this done.
thanks Nekshot

country gent
08-29-2013, 08:13 AM
Trying to judge grain for best looks and strngth is the issue here. Stumps ussually have beautifull grains and colors so cutting it for the best display of them is important.

Zymurgy50
08-29-2013, 08:28 AM
for gun stocks you should quarter saw it, look at the cut end and divide it into quarters, then make the rip cuts.

nekshot
08-29-2013, 09:11 AM
ok, thats kinda what I thought. I did play with the idea to drag it home(about 5 miles) and let it grind down on the road, turn it every now and then to get it squared up like in Clint Eastwoods movie when they towed that VW without wheels till only half was left hooked to wrecker!

Stephen Cohen
08-29-2013, 09:43 AM
As a cabinet maker, I find it helps to run belt sander over the end grain where it has been cut. by looking at this you can get a good idea of what figure you have and where to cut you first flat. its a bit like looking at it in 3d if that makes sense.

waksupi
08-29-2013, 10:50 AM
As a matter of convenience, I would use a chain saw, and cut vertical slabs like a saw mill. I'd make them about 3" thick. Bet you would come up with some good two piece stocks, and lots of handgun grips.

Reg
08-29-2013, 11:39 AM
No matter how you cut it, be sure to quickly seal the end grains ( both ends ) then have patience.
Stump wood tends to be dense and a 3 inch blank could easily take up to 7 years to fully and properly dry. Yes, sometimes it could be worked in less time but this is where that patience comes in. Would be a shame to put that much effort into a super nice piece of wood and if it's just not totally right , sit and watch it crack and warp.

Hardcast416taylor
08-29-2013, 01:32 PM
A buddy in Pa sent a LFRB of walnut pieces. They had been run thru a log splitter after being cut into blocks from the tree limbs and main trunk! I asked what about the stump, "Oh that, we piled the dead limbs and sawdust on it and set it afire"! The remainder of wood from the tree was divided up among the wood cutters for home heating wood. I guess that black walnut tree had been dead for 5 or 6 years and finally was cut down.Robert

shooter93
08-29-2013, 06:13 PM
The highest grade wood is generally found at the large Y's or crotches in a tree. I've been "given" many walnut trees, Black and English, for their removal and most of it became fire wood. Lots of plain wood but figured wood is another story. Cutting for high grade stocks is a bit of an art and the first cut is EVERYTHING to get the nicest and highest yield. Exhibition is a very abused term when stock blanks are listed, true exhibition isn't common although you see lots of it listed. I have some very nice gunstocks made and in truth only one of them would make exhibition grade.Claro is the easiest to get wild grain in but has always been considered the lesser of stock woods.

mroliver77
08-30-2013, 08:27 AM
Stumps are a pain to cut! Dirty with stuff hiding and lots of times hidden rot. Pressure washing is a good way to start. I have an apple tree sitting upside down letting nature clean the stump.
I agree with shooter93 that crotch wood makes beautiful and stable lumber if sawed correctly and God wants it to be used!
J

Wayne Smith
08-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Do you have it or is it still in the ground? If it is in the ground dig it out. There is a tap root that is useable wood maybe five feet down, depending on the size of the tree.

texassako
08-30-2013, 04:04 PM
I have cut up a few stumps, but not walnut. Definitely use the power washer and try to peel off as much bark as you can. If it came from ground with any kind of rocks, be prepared to hit them. I don't know what you will cut it up with, but it will dull blades or chains faster than you would think. I would quarter saw, or as close as you can get to it, for any stocks. The waste between those cuts can make nice small boards or pistol grip pieces. Buy a jug of anchorseal or something similar and mop it on because the grain seems to go everywhere in a stump and checking is a real bummer.

nekshot
08-30-2013, 08:47 PM
The stump is out of the ground and I am going to try get as much roots cut off and bring it back to our shop. Thank God for a tractor with front end loader! Thanks for all your input.

DHurtig
08-31-2013, 12:37 AM
+ 1 on the anchorseal. I've been told that a lot of bow makers seal their blanks with Elmers glue. Just make sure to seal the end grain at least and it wouldn't hurt to seal the whole blank.