PDA

View Full Version : Deluxe Liquid x-lox?

Jayhawkhuntclub
08-28-2013, 01:45 PM
I'm thinking about switching from Lee Alox to the White Lable Lube for tumble lubing and have a couple questions. 1) Have any of you had any issues with this product? 2) What is the consistancy of it (ie water, syrup, jelly)? Any heating required? Thanks!
I don't have any problems with the Lee product as far as performance. But it's a bit messy (as you know).

geargnasher
08-28-2013, 01:50 PM
It is the same product. Lar altered the name to comply with copyright law.

Gear

mikeym1a
08-28-2013, 01:57 PM
It is much thinner than the Lee product, which makes it easier to use. There are instructions in the site here to make your own. I haven't yet, as I am lazy, and have bought White's product. Once I gather up all my little Lee bottles, I'll probably do my own, just for giggles. As White's is thinner, some have suggested two coats. To me it seems to take a little longer to dry than the Lee version, but that could have just been high humidity when I used it. Subsequent uses showed shorter drying times. As to thickness, it's about medium syrup consistency. Cheers!

geargnasher
08-28-2013, 02:08 PM
My bad, I didn't realize the "Deluxe X-Lox" is what Glenn is calling his version of 45/45/10 or Recluse lube. That indeed is what it is after reading the description on his site. I don't know what the consistency is, but when I make it I like to thin it to about like 30-weight engine oil at room temperature. Since the solvents evaporate past the lid seal on my bottle over time, I occasionally need to splash some more mineral spirits in there, warm the bottle in a mug of hot water, and shake to blend.

Gear

Echd
08-28-2013, 03:40 PM
I use the 45-45-10 mix from WLL and it works very well.

Not a lot to say on it- it works good at TL velocities.

Kacki
08-28-2013, 05:12 PM
45-45-10 for me as well. Course, only using the TL boolits at the tiem.

Recluse
08-28-2013, 08:54 PM
I'm thinking about switching from Lee Alox to the White Lable Lube for tumble lubing and have a couple questions. 1) Have any of you had any issues with this product? 2) What is the consistancy of it (ie water, syrup, jelly)? Any heating required? Thanks!
I don't have any problems with the Lee product as far as performance. But it's a bit messy (as you know).

My bad, I didn't realize the "Deluxe X-Lox" is what Glenn is calling his version of 45/45/10 or Recluse lube.

Gear

Gear,

I didn't realize that Glenn re-named the lube either. Thanks for pointing it out--makes it a lot easier to endorse knowing what the name of it is now. :)

Rock Chalk,

Once you leave the "regular" alox and go to White Label Lube's "delux alox" aka 45/45/10, you'll never look back.

As far as heating and consistency go, it depends on your local climate at the time. There is a sticky here on the Lube forum about the 45/45/10 and I always heat it before applying it. I use a heat gun from Harbor Freight, but others use everything from their wife's blow-dryer to boiling water to a microwave oven to letting it set out in the hot Southern sun. I also always heat the boolits prior to the first application of the lube. Let dry, size, apply a second coat of lube, let dry, store or load.

:coffee:

runfiverun
08-29-2013, 12:23 AM
definitely heat both the boolits and the lube.
it gives a thinner more even coating and dries faster.

mdi
08-29-2013, 12:18 PM
I've purchased xlox from White Label Lubes twice. The thickness/viscosity was different for each bottle. One was like syrup, and the other like chocolate pudding. No big deal 'cause I cut with mineral spirits or make 45-45-10, so I control the consistency/viscosity...

Jayhawkhuntclub
08-29-2013, 01:25 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I ordered a bottle. So I guess I'll find out for myself. BTW, I haven't heated Lee Alox in years. It always coats well and they are dry enough to load in an hour, two tops. I guess I'll just experiment with the White Label and see what works.

dromia
09-02-2013, 02:46 AM
I use it now instead of Xlox, you do need to heat the boolits though as well as the lube in order to get a thin even coat. It hangs on too thick if the boolits are unheated.