PDA

View Full Version : more than one?

Battis
08-28-2013, 03:57 AM
Is there any logic behind owning two (or more) of the exact same rifle? (or handgun). I have a Vetterli .41 and it's by far my favorite rifle to shoot (I load black powder rounds). Well, I saw and handled another one last night that's in good shape. It's cheap (under $200), I have the brass, dies and mold already, I know how to convert it to centerfire...
But I already have one...
I have a Trapdoor 50-70 and would also like a 45-70, but at least they're different enough to justify it. I have a Schmidt Rubin 96/11, but wouldn't mind a K31. I see lots of postings here and other forums where shooters own many of the exact models.
Any thoughts from The Addicted?

bob208
08-28-2013, 06:25 AM
just what is our collection? say you have 9 krags to some they all look the same. but they all different years and dates. or mausers say you have a pile 0f 98's they are all the same but from different countries.

now in your case the vetterli are they from different countries. maybe one Russian marked? even then at the price you are talking about buy it convert it use one to trade.

Nobade
08-28-2013, 07:59 AM
Yep, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one for $200. Heck, it might be more accurate than the other one you have. Or you could invite a friend to the range and have a shooting match. Or even more likely it will have a different size chamber and you get to figure out how to make ammo for it that is different from what you make already!

-Nobade

Sensai
08-28-2013, 09:10 AM
I'm a little limited as far as multiple copies of the same firearm. The only exceptions for me are the rifles that I have one for cast and one for jacketed. I only have these for the chamberings that I use for varmint shooting. I still haven't found a way to get the trajectory on the 243 and 270 from cast as I can from jacketed. I'm sure that if I could afford them I would have multiple of just about all of them, why not?

kenyerian
08-28-2013, 09:25 AM
Go for it.

Battis
08-28-2013, 10:16 AM
I should have noted the serial number to see how close it is to the one I have. I gotta go back and check the bore.
I was thinking that the chamber probably is a different size. But that's not really a problem.
They have two, maybe three for sale. Here's the listing for two:
(I wonder why one is an inch shorter than the other? It didn't look cut down)

Model: M78
Action: RIFLE: BOLT
Caliber: 11MM
Condition: 85%
Features: CHIP AT STOCK PIN; 32"; MATCHING#
Price: $195.00

Model: M78
Action: RIFLE: BOLT
Caliber: 11MM
Condition: 80%
Features: GOOD BORE; 33"; MATCHING
Price: $295.00

jakharath
08-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Yes. I had several of the same (or very similar) 1911's before I donated them all to the homeless shelter. I *really* like the 1911 platform.

enfield
08-28-2013, 09:54 PM
that's just crazy talk, owning more than one of the same gun !

Battis
08-28-2013, 10:29 PM
On the surface, it might look like a dumb question, whether or not to own more than one of the same gun, but, if you like to own and shoot different guns, you'll limit yourself if you start "collecting" a certain model (unless you have endless funds). My Vetterli is a Model 81 - I'd like to find an earlier model Vetterli. Then again, the one I'm looking at is still intriguing.

dtknowles
08-28-2013, 10:36 PM
I have three CZ-52's each with original holster cleaning rod and spare magazine. I put new sights on one and I have two extra barrels one in 9x19 and one that was 9x19 that I rechambered to 9x23. The 9x19 does not feed well from the stock magazine so I got a P-38 magazine and that works well except that it is a bit futsy to make it secure in the mag well. The 9x23 runs great with the stock magazine. I got stiffer recoil springs from wolf to use with the 9mm's. I could have done this all with one gun but I am not sad I have all three, it better than money in the bank.

Tim

Battis
08-28-2013, 11:46 PM
The store where I buy my stuff has a 45-70 barrel for sale and I brought my 50-70 stock up to see if it would fit - the stock would need some modifying so it's not worth it.
The store gets so many different guns in, and usually they don't know what they have or don't care. I bought what they said was a Belgian SXS 12 ga percussion shotgun at a low price, but when I stripped it down, I discovered it was a British 10 ga SXS percussion shotgun.
I bought this Gallagher .54 (ERMA repro) at a crazy price - it uses brass cases, roundballs or bullets, and musket caps for ignition.
You really never know what this store will take in and sell. So far, the Vetterli is the only gun that I'd consider having two.
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m217/pohill/DSCF4328_zps47fa3932.jpg

Nobade
08-29-2013, 08:18 AM
Those Gallaghers can really be made to shoot if you get the barrel relined to the correct dimensions and twist rate. The machine gun barrels ERMA used had way too fast a twist compared to the originals. I wish we had a gun store around here that didn't know what they were selling!

-Nobade

bigted
08-29-2013, 08:25 AM
I'm a little limited as far as multiple copies of the same firearm. The only exceptions for me are the rifles that I have one for cast and one for jacketed. I only have these for the chamberings that I use for varmint shooting. I still haven't found a way to get the trajectory on the 243 and 270 from cast as I can from jacketed. I'm sure that if I could afford them I would have multiple of just about all of them, why not?

little off subject but couldn't let this go by ... try paperpatch in your hotrod calibers. they will keep the lead outta the barrel and allow some 2500 fps loads or maybe over. try the smokless paperpatch area for particulars.

as for multiple species in the same closet of the same mother ??? sounds downrite fun to me. oh yea I do that with my modern hiwalls and 74 sharps. many different reasons but the best I can come up with is just that when a feller desires another rifle of the same that he has ... he just desires it ... walla!

bigted
08-29-2013, 08:26 AM

little off subject but couldn't let this go by ... try paperpatch in your hotrod calibers. they will keep the lead outta the barrel and allow some 2500 fps loads or maybe over. try the smokless paperpatch area for particulars.

as for multiple species in the same closet of the same mother ??? sounds downrite fun to me. oh yea I do that with my modern hiwalls and 74 sharps. many different reasons but the best I can come up with is just that when a feller desires another rifle of the same that he has ... he just desires it ... walla!

Battis
08-29-2013, 08:56 AM
You know your Ermas...yeah, the MG barrel has a 1:18" twist. I use .535 roundballs - at 50ft, it's accurate as heck. At 50 yds, they start to wander. I can gong the gong at 100 yds with a few practice misses. $2.50 per brass case but they last forever (no dies needed for loading). I read that the originals were .52 caliber and Bob Hoyt will reline them in .50 caliber. I have a Hoyt-relined antique Belgian muzzle loader and the man is a genius but I kinda like it the way it is. I can buy a Moose Mould bullet mould which might be the way I'll go.
I like it - awkward at first, but interesting.

Roundball
08-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Being an admitted rifle loony and have paid all sorts of dues for my shooting hobby-don't have to justify nothing to nobody. Years ago, I was at a territorial BP match and this topic came up. I owned having three Swed 96 Mausers that had been purchased for less than one hundred dollars each. One of the other shooters admitted he owned eleven 96's. Do what you want-you are only this way once!

Battis
08-29-2013, 10:45 AM
I highly recommend Robert Hoyt in PA for barrel relining. I bought an antique Belgian wall hanger that apparently started life in 1842 as a flintlock, then was converted to percussion probably in 1869 - it has the date "69" stamped on the lockwork (I got this info from a Belgian site)
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/a%20a%20site%20belge%20gb.htm
I sent them pics and they told me what it was.
Anyways, the gun was bored out to a smoothbore at some point, so I got it really cheap. I sent it to Bob Hoyt and he had it a few months, then one day it arrived relined in .50 with a twist of 1:48. Now it's a great shooter, and I don't have much moola invested in it.
It's under the 50-70 in the pic.
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m217/pohill/DSCF3413.jpg
Belgian markings on bottom of barrel
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m217/pohill/IMG_0350.jpg

Geez, I'm hijacking my own thread - I'm all over the place.

Nobade
08-29-2013, 07:43 PM
Geez, I'm hijacking my own thread - I'm all over the place.

Yep, but it's all interesting stuff and you are right - Bob Hoyt is a national treasure. I sure wish I lived closer to him and could convince him to teach me some of what he knows!

-Nobade

Battis
08-29-2013, 08:59 PM
I have an H.Aston .54 that I shoot, but it's a smoothbore, and not very accurate. Bob Hoyt said he'd reline it to .50 (rifled) for about $60.00. It's tempting, but I don't know if I want to lose its history.
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m217/pohill/Picture072.jpg