PDA

View Full Version : 125 gr 9mm Lyman Mold hollow point. How to properly use it?

capt.hollis
08-27-2013, 08:49 PM
My brother in law gave me this mold, but I have no idea how it works.. I have the handles on order and on the way, but what is the punch for, and what is the extra screw for? I know Im a rookie, lol, but I don't want to screw this mold up.
Thanks Guys

runfiverun
08-27-2013, 11:02 PM
the extra screw is the "lock" for the hollow point pin.
you turn the pin to the flat spot on the e-clip to slide the pin in and out of the mold.
and turn it so the screw holds it [the e-clip and pin] in place.

you want to keep the mold hot and the pin hotter.
many make a little holder for the pin to rest in the pot of lead or for a torch to blow it's heat on the tip while you open and close the mold and knock out the boolit.

capt.hollis
08-27-2013, 11:33 PM
Oh ok I kinda got ya there . So the pin goes in plane before you pour correct ?
the extra screw is the "lock" for the hollow point pin.
you turn the pin to the flat spot on the e-clip to slide the pin in and out of the mold.
and turn it so the screw holds it [the e-clip and pin] in place.

you want to keep the mold hot and the pin hotter.
many make a little holder for the pin to rest in the pot of lead or for a torch to blow it's heat on the tip while you open and close the mold and knock out the boolit.

thehouseproduct
08-29-2013, 01:36 AM
My two cents: if you're just getting into casting, hang onto this mold and get a Lee 2 cavity mold that meets your needs. Once you've got the process down with the Lee, go back to hollow point mold and or custom molds, 4, 5, 6 cavity molds, etc.

runfiverun
08-29-2013, 04:16 AM
yeah the pin is last in and first out.
there are other nuances like cavitaion in the hollow point in the boolit around the tip of the pin and such, but heat is your friend.
if this is your first or second mold, running a hollow point mold is a handful and you will learn some techniques to get good boolits that could help you down the line.
it could also loosen up some new swear words and you'll learn how to cast with gloves on.