PDA

View Full Version : I THINK I may have struck gold on a heat source at a thrift store

Animal
08-27-2013, 04:10 PM
Hey guys, I'm not a caster yet but I've been keeping an eye out for good deals on casting equipment. Today I was looking for a good heat source at a local good will and came across 5 (still new in the box) 2 burner stoves. I'm guessing that these stoves are meant for being installed in an RV or a college dorm room. They are heavy duty, rock solid and pretty as hell. I like this idea because the stoves are portable, heavy construction yet light enough that I can carry around and tuck away under my reloading table when not in use.

I looked the model up online and found they they are being sold for $275.00 bucks, but I bought 2 for 22 bucks! Talk about a bargain! The second one is for a friend that gave me a super cheap deal on a rifle. He wants to learn to cast too and he needs a heat source.

The only problem I have is that I don't have a way to hook a standard propane tank to it. I know I need some adapters. I have a tank of propane but I don't have a clue on how to get it to work with this grill. I was hoping that some of you fellas could give me some ideas on how I'd go about this. I hope these pictures help. Thanks...8038080381803828038380385

Dan Cash
08-27-2013, 04:25 PM
There should be an LP gas dealer in your area. Take the burners in to them and they should be able to fix you right up. As an alternative, check out a Heating, Vent and AC (HVAC) shop. They can fix you up too. Good looking burners. Weld up a stand for them to sit on and you are really in business.

shadowcaster
08-27-2013, 05:48 PM
When you talk to the pro's ask them if they are high pressure. My experience has been that any of the low pressure burners don't have near the BTU's that high pressure does, and take a lot longer to heat the melt.

Shad

bangerjim
08-27-2013, 06:03 PM
This will NOT have the BTU's you need to smelt lead. Mabe if you wait for hours for it to heat up. They work on about 7-10 inches of water column pressure. A standard gas stove burner is made for boiling water and frying meat, not melting lead.

Get a turkey fryer and a big cast iron pot from a camping store. They are not that expensive.

You can use these to brew your coffee while you turkey fryer is melting your lead!

bangerjim

mikeym1a
08-27-2013, 06:18 PM
I think they would have enough. When I first started casting, I used a 3lb cast iron pot, and the big burner of the gas range in an old travel trailer. So these would probably work, but, he would probably need to make a 'tent' or 'skirt' to go around his pot and trap the heat in so it wouldn't get carried away by any breezes. :grin:

Animal
08-27-2013, 07:16 PM
Mikeym1a, I was considering the 'skirt' idea. I've melted several pounds of lead over a small fire I made in the backyard. I'm sure this will do just fine.

12,500 BTU on the big burner according to one of the manufacturers websites... that good enough to melt lead?

shadowcaster
08-27-2013, 08:08 PM
12,500 BTU on the big burner according to one of the manufacturers websites... that good enough to melt lead?

It will only do small batches in a timely manner. To do any sort of capacity a turkey fryer is going to be your best bet with a start in the (high pressure) 50,000 BTU range.

Shad

What are you using for a pot?

Animal
08-27-2013, 08:34 PM
I haven't made a decision on a pot yet. I've been looking at several cast iron pots, some sold by RCBS and Lyman. I might use regular steel pots if there is any benefit with this type of burner... it worked out well in my campfire.

dragon813gt
08-27-2013, 08:35 PM

That is not a lot of energy. While it will work don't expect to do a lot at once.

Oreo
08-27-2013, 08:56 PM
I use a 180k btu banjo burner to smelt with. I use the big lodge cast iron dutch oven pot. It still takes a fair amount of time to go from a full pot of range scrap to a full pot of melt. 13k btu is nothing.

I say you scored good on those burners but you'd be better ebaying them for a profit and use the proceeds to buy a turkey frier and a bottom pour furnace.

turmech
08-27-2013, 08:58 PM
If you do go with the burner you purchased get a pot with a lid. It will help you get up to temp. My turkey fryer's high pressure regulator broke on me once. I substituted a standard regulator from a BBQ grill until I got a new regulator. I took at least an hour (maybe more it has been a while) with a 5 quart dutch oven to melt the 70 or so pounds of lead. I think I may still be waiting without the lid.

shadowcaster
08-27-2013, 08:58 PM
I haven't made a decision on a pot yet. I've been looking at several cast iron pots, some sold by RCBS and Lyman. I might use regular steel pots if there is any benefit with this type of burner... it worked out well in my campfire.

It's not that your burner won't work. It is going to depend on how big of a batch you want to do. Even when you melt your lead over an open fire, you have to get it big and hot enough to do the job that you want it to.

Another question.. How much are you willing to spend on get your burner going? Would it be money better spent on a turkey fryer? I bought mine for 50 dollars and it puts out 58,000 BTU's, and does both large and small batches.

As for a pot you have options. Watch the thrift store for a steel stock pot. No aluminum.. It WILL fail. Cast iron (cookware) is a popular choice. I started with one myself until I built my steel bottom pour smelter. Again.. How big of a batch do you want to do?

Shad

Animal
08-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Shad, what will make or break going any further with this stove is if it is going to cost money better spent going to another heat source to make the conversion. I'm only 11 bucks into the stove, so it isn't a big deal if I nix it. I can sell them on ebay to recoup my 11 bucks.

I'm also interested in building a rocket stove. I like the idea of casting 'off the grid' since I live in an extremely rural area with LOTS of wood for fuel.

As far as batch size, I'll have to figure that out as I go. We'll see how long I'm willing to spend in a casting session under the Georgia sun with a 700 degree pot of lead.

Wayne Smith
08-27-2013, 09:14 PM
I agree, it is inadequate to do any size of smelting. It is about the right size for a 1-2qt pot of lead and a ladle, though.

dragon813gt
08-27-2013, 09:17 PM
As far as batch size, I'll have to figure that out as I go. We'll see how long I'm willing to spend in a casting session under the Georgia sun with a 700 degree pot of lead.

Trust me, not long. I melted about 325 pounds into ingots on Sunday in the shade of my carport. Temp was in the mid eighties and humidity was high. It was uncomfortable and was at the limit for when I will do it. The quicker it melts the quicker youre finished. There is no way I could wait an hour for a pot to melt. I generally fill the pot with around 70#s at a time.

shadowcaster
08-27-2013, 09:31 PM
Shad, what will make or break going any further with this stove is if it is going to cost money better spent going to another heat source to make the conversion. I'm only 11 bucks into the stove, so it isn't a big deal if I nix it. I can sell them on ebay to recoup my 11 bucks.

I'm also interested in building a rocket stove. I like the idea of casting 'off the grid' since I live in an extremely rural area with LOTS of wood for fuel.

Animal, to make your burner work, you are going to have to build a sturdy steel frame. You will have to buy the proper connectors, possibly an new orifice, hose, and regulator. I don't know what these will cost. If you scrap this burner and sell on ebay you will probably be money ahead. A turkey fryer will come ready to go with the proper regulator and hose.

Being able to live off grid is also an appealing idea for me too. A wood fired smelter is totally doable whether it be a rocket stove or some other design. Casting is easily done over an open fire. It's been done for centuries.

The cast iron RCBS and Lyman pots only hold 20 pounds. If you are staying small scale then these will be just fine. I found that I needed a much larger capacity smelting operation, that will fire under wood or propane.

Casting can be done with the most meager of setups. That's why your small fire out back works.

Any more questions? Always happy to help.

Shad

el34
08-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Just for perspective, with numbers-

I smelt on the side burner of my BBQ grill. No idea the BTU rating but I'm sure it was only meant to heat up baked beans.

I use an 8 quart stainless steel stew pot from Walmart, $6.93 with lid. It fits perfectly on the burner.

The grill is positioned against the back of my house (brick) such that the pot is close to the brick. With the grill lid closed the other side of the pot is shielded. The hinged lid normally covering the burner shields the rear of the pot, and I place a loaf pan in front of the pot for the junk skimmed off the lead.

The pot is pretty well protected from wind.

I typically do 40-50lbs at a time. The biggest load was 77 lb. I have a 2x3 leg for support under the burner.

A normal batch of wheel weights, say 45lb, takes about 30 minutes to melt. Since this is the only system I've ever used I don't have a point of comparison but this seems very acceptable to me. While the pot is melting I bring out all the other paraphernalia and set up 2 muffin pans on the grill grates.

Then the skimming, fluxing, and skimming again. I use a sturdy SS soup ladle ($6 Walmart) with a lip bent 90 deg at the end for good grip. It is the right size to exactly fill a muffin cup, about 1.7lb each.

I hope this gives you additional info to use in forming your vision. I completely agree with the turkey fryer approach, I've seen them for $29 at WM and elsewhere. You'd be working near the ground unless you re-arranged it. Using my grill was a no-brainer when I started, and everything is at working height while standing. I still use this, just haven't found a need to supersize yet but won't hesitate to go the turkey fryer route if I feel a need to.

80404 80407

Spawn-Inc
08-27-2013, 10:36 PM
you missing the orifice that feeds into the venturi, but it can be built easily enough if your handy with hand tools.

here is a picture of what i mean, in the picture they call it a jet hole.
http://www.duncanshearer.co.nz/kilnplans/burners/venturi/venturi%20burner-01.jpg (http://www.duncanshearer.co.nz/kilnplans/burners/venturi/venturi%20burner-01.jpg)

dilly
08-27-2013, 10:50 PM
Even if it is a bit lacking for big batches, who among us didn't start small in some ways?

If you find it insufficient to your needs or your needs grow, adapt your equipment. If not, be content! That is, after all how all of us do it really.

Oreo
08-27-2013, 11:38 PM
One big advantage of a higher btu rating is temperature recovery time. Every time you stick a slotted spoon, ladle, etc. into the melt the melt will first freeze onto it until the tool comes up to temp. The tool cools very quickly once its removed to the air. This can really be a nuisance on under-powered setups where the heat being added is only marginally more then the heat being lost. You can put a lid on a pot and walk away for an hour while the lead melts but eventually you have to remove the lid and get to skimming and ladling. Those tasks can take forever if you're under powered.

Animal
08-28-2013, 07:02 AM
Ok, you guys have given me a lot to think about. It seems like several forum members had discussed coleman camp stoves as being a great heat source; so I figured this was a no brainer for the money. I'll do some more checking around on heat sources. The odd thing is that none of the thrift stores around here have a turkey frier or any sturdy cookware. I have nothing against buying new... I'd just rather not spend a great deal until I can set up a brick Rocket Stove. Thanks guys!

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/backyard-pro-square-single-burner-outdoor-patio-stove-range-sq14/554BPSQ16.html?utm_source=Amazon

I assume something of this nature and BTU rating should do the trick with a properly selected pot?

Spawn-Inc
08-28-2013, 07:47 AM
Yup. That would work great. Add a heat shield for better use of the heat. I added one and went through half as much fuel.

jmort
08-28-2013, 09:55 AM
The ones from BassPro seem to work. I'm saving for a Blichmann. It will pay for itself.

Dale in Louisiana
08-28-2013, 10:07 AM
Double-check the 'jets' in this burner. The ones for natural gas are different than the ones for LP gas.

dale in Louisiana

Animal
08-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Okay... I have to say that my joy for finding such a great heat source quickly turned to a source of regret after I saw so many reviews concerning its low output.

I purchased a 35 buck turkey fryer from walmart today. Like I said previously I have not begun to cast boolits yet, but I fired the fryer up, threw a few pounds of COWW into a pot and had a glossy mirror soup in no time at all! I skimmed the dross and poured it into a muffin pan. I didn't make much, but I have 4 nicely filled out lead muffins. Extremely happy with my purchase today. Maybe I can take those stoves to a pawn shop and cover the cost of the fryer I bought. Thanks guys, you have always been a great help.

Petrol & Powder
08-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Those are nice units. They don't have the "fence" that most marine type burners have so I'm going to guess RV and not boat. I'd almost hate to convert those to melting lead. They have sealed type burners, a nice pan and are just the right size for a cabin kitchen or RV. You'll need the orifice, a control valve and the related plumbing but I think you still have a good start. Excellent find!

cz75shadow
08-31-2013, 08:50 PM
I have found out the hard way that a 10,000 btu propane camp stove is completely useless for smelting, I have about 30 pounds of lead in my pot, takes about 4 hours to melt it and it cools way too fast. Guess I need a better heat source too..

capt.hollis
09-01-2013, 12:05 AM
My little burners like that had the screw in small propane tank adapters on them. They would melt the lead with no issue but couldn't maintain a consistent them because of wind or whatever. I just use them for ingot making. So at least you could use them for that.

NineInchNails
09-02-2013, 10:19 PM
The ones from BassPro seem to work. I'm saving for a Blichmann. It will pay for itself.

The Blichmann uses this burner (http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/bg14_cast_iron_burner.htm). I have that cast iron burner yet rarely use it. It is a HUGE SOB and uses up a LOT of propane, but it's good for quick 'heat up' of mass volume. I bought that cast iron burner and welded up my own frame/stand and had the stand high temp powder coated locally for a lot less than a Blichmann. That Blichmann is expensive!

I also have this burner (http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/bg12_cast_iron_burner.htm) and I usually prefer this one because it seems to be more efficient and precision adjustable with most things I use it for. I suppose it depends on how big of a pot you are coockin. If you're cookin a BIG pot then a big burner makes sense.

jmort
09-02-2013, 10:55 PM
The Blichmann goes for $149.00. The are some minor differences in the pictures on the Blichmann Engineering site and the Bayou site burner you linked, but I do believe you are correct. Home beer brewers, with similar needs to our's, have nothing but praise for the Blichmann. I'm not going to fabricate my burner/melter/stand set-up, but the Bayou Kick A Banjo Burner Plus looks nice, same burner, and would save me about $50.00. Thanks for the info. Very useful.

mikeym1a
09-02-2013, 11:37 PM
The one you showed is very similar to the one I got from Lowes. It was called a fish fryer. I am easily able to melt 20lbs of lead alloy on it in about 5 minutes. That should do you very nicely. For a pot I took an old freon can that my dad gave me years ago, and cut it in two, and use the bottom half as my pot. I'm about to do the same to a 20lb lp tank, as the freon tank isn't quite big enough. Once you get your pot, make a skirt to go around the sides to trap the heat in, and the wind out. Heats up much faster that way. A camp stove will work with a little pot, but if you are outside, you still need a skirt for it to concentrate the heat. :-o

shadowcaster
09-06-2013, 10:12 PM

I just took a look at the Blichmann, Wow.. that's nice. I usually have a heat up time of about 30 minutes with my current burner for my 400 pound smelter. I bet I would be really smokin with that burner.

Shad