Spent brass is "one time used" shell cases
used by our Military for
training purposes.

They buy the brass,
recondition it, and then reload the brass for
resale to Law Enforcement,
Gun Clubs, Gun Shops, and stores like
Wal-Mart. They normally
buy 30,000 lbs of spent brass at a time.

This week the DoD wrote a
letter to the owner of Georgia Arms and
informed him that from now
on the DoD will be destroying the spent
brass, shredding it. It
will no longer be available to the ammo makers,
unless they buy it in a
scrap shredded condition (which they have no
use for).

The shredded brass is now
going to be sold by the DoD to China as scrap
metal, after the DoD pays
for it to be shredded. The DoD is selling the
brass to China for less
money than the ammo makers have been paying,
plus the DoD has to pay to
have the brass shredded and do the
accounting paperwork.

This sure helps the
economy now doesn't it? Sell cheaper to China , and
do not sell at all to a
proven US business. Any hidden agenda working
here? Obama going after
the Firearms Industry and our ammunition!!

The Georgia Arms owner
even related a story that one of his competitors
had already purchased a
load of brass last week. The DoD contacted him
this week and said they
were sending someone over to make sure it was
destroyed. Shell cases he
had already bought!

The brass has no value to
the ammo maker if it is
destroyed/shredded/melted.

The ammo manufacturer only
uses the empty brass cases to reload
different calibers, mainly
.223 bullets.

The owner of Georgia Arms
says that he will have to lay off at least
half of his 60 workers,
within 2-3 months if the DoD will no longer
sell spent brass cases to
the industry. Georgia Arms has 2-3 months of
inventory to use, by
summer they're out.

If the Reloading Industry
has to purchase new manufacture brass cases,
then the cost of
ammunition will double or even triple, plus Obama
wants to add a 500% tax on
each shell.

You can read the
information and see the DoD letter to Georgia Arms
here :

The Shootist Site
http://www.theshootist.net/2009/03/dod-ends-sale-of-expended-military.html

If you're not outraged at
what this administration is doing you
should be! Be Afraid! Be
Very Very Afraid! Get involved! It's Your
Freedom and Our Country
They're Stealing! If You Fail to Act Now, there
may not be a Free United
States tomorrow!

I implore you to get
involved and forward this to as many people as you
can. Contact your
legislators and put them on notice, We're fed up with
what's going on in the
name of stimulating our economy!

500MAG
08-27-2013, 06:26 AM
They are treating ammo just like cigarettes, making it as difficult as possible for the manufacturer. Watch the ammo tax soon will make a $10 box of 22LR be $40. That is once 22LR are back on Walmart shelves.

Sasquatch-1
08-27-2013, 06:38 AM
This is the first couple of paragraphs from the article you posted a link to. It appears the DoD rescinded the order.

Notice: Thanks to the hundreds of people who have responded to this posting, and the thousands of gun owners who e-mailed DOD and their representatives in Congress...

This situation has been resolved.

DOD rescinded the order after a firestorm of criticism--which began almost immediately when they issued a directive to mutilate all expended military brass before it could be sold to the civilian reloading market.

nagantguy
08-27-2013, 06:58 AM
Hope they cancelled this bone headed move, won't hold my breath though. They are coming to disarm us folks, so we can be good little slaves.

Lead Fred
08-27-2013, 07:02 AM
Its got nothing to do with money.

It has everything to do disarming the terrorists

Same reason they gave to keep 700k M1 Garand out of the hands of those CMP terrorists

oldred
08-27-2013, 08:28 AM
Didn't this same article circulate a couple of years ago???? Not sure if it was the same ammo company but I definitely remember the same article almost word for word from a couple of years ago, could it be that maybe they attempted to try it again? Anyone else remember this?

:EDIT: Just as I thought there is no truth to this, it's an internet fueled "urban legend" that has circulated for a couple of years now. I just looked it up on Snopes and it's simply an untrue rumor.

www.search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q=military+brass&x=23&y=6&sp-a=00062d45-sp00000000&sp-advanced=1&sp-p=all&sp-w-control=1&sp-w=alike&sp-date-range=-1&sp-x=any&sp-c=100&sp-m=1&sp-s=0

:EDIT Again" Well I jumped too soon, the story is a couple of years old and is being circulated on the internet as a rumor BUT the original story is true, sort of anyway! This was a proposed regulation that was quickly rescinded and while this story is now of no concern to us we need to keep an eye on these rascals in case they try it again.

trapper9260
08-27-2013, 08:43 AM
I remember that was out before like oldred stated But do not know if they are trying it again or it is old news

KCSO
08-27-2013, 10:41 AM
This isn't new back in 1984 they tried the same thing. We had bought a barrel of 38 Special brass and were swedging the primer pockets for reloading when we got a notice that the brass was to be used for scrap only and had to be melted down. That order was also recinded.

gspgundog
08-27-2013, 06:10 PM
If I recall correctly weren't they also paying someone to destroy those M1's so the evil CMP terrorist would not get them?

Whiterabbit
08-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Look at the date in the original link. It is dated 03-2009. March 15, to be exact.

08-28-2013, 05:56 AM
Something told me to be skeptical. But we do need to watch them folks in Washington.

Taylor3006
08-28-2013, 06:59 AM
Something told me to be skeptical. But we do need to watch them folks in Washington.

LOL regardless of whether this story was current or not, them people in DC need to watched constantly. Wish we could put choke collars on them like ya do a puppy in training, give em a good yank (or 12) when they misbehave.

OBIII
08-28-2013, 08:13 AM
Shock collars would work much better.
OB

HATCH
08-28-2013, 08:28 AM
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6636674&convertTo=USD

2200 lbs. (Approx.) Fired 5.56MM brass shell casings contained in (1) cardboard box, sitting on wooden pallet. Ball casing head stamp is PMJ 10 and LC 09. Lot may contain casings with other markings. Box may contain blank and ball fired shell casings. Box and pallet are included in the weight and sale. Box measures approximately 4' x 4' x 3.5'. GL will only load Flat Bed Trailer with removable sides or tarp. Mutilation Not Required. No further information is available. Recommend Buyer Screen. Preview and load out by appointment only.

oldred
08-28-2013, 08:33 AM

Skeptical, maybe, diligent yes and that's what we all need to be in order to keep up with what these idiots might try to slip past us. I would much rather read an old article and find it irrelevant than to miss important news, thanks for bringing it up, it may be a bit outdated but still a good read!

ourflat
07-23-2021, 09:09 AM
This is the first couple of paragraphs from the article you posted a link to. It appears the DoD rescinded the order.

Notice: Thanks to the hundreds of people who have responded to this posting, and the thousands of gun owners who e-mailed DOD and their representatives in Congress...

This situation has been resolved.

DOD rescinded the order after a firestorm of criticism--which began almost immediately when they issued a directive to mutilate all expended military brass before it could be sold to the civilian reloading market.

The power of “We The People!”

gwpercle
07-23-2021, 02:08 PM
Another reason not to re-elect the ones who are now running the show .

I in no way expected them to rescind that order ... it was such a bad one .
Gary

MaryB
07-23-2021, 02:37 PM
You do know this was 8 years ago...

JimB..
07-23-2021, 05:13 PM
You do know this was 8 years ago...
Our outrage is apparently not bound by time, or even changing circumstance.