PDA

View Full Version : Bear Cub Master 6x

pickler54@yahoo.com
10-20-2007, 01:15 PM
My gramps passed and going thru his stuff, found above scope. Also with info of Kollmorgen Optical and Stith Mounts stamped on it. Should I find a good home for it or Goodwill/Yard Sale and see what happens?

Phil
10-20-2007, 01:21 PM
In its day it was a great scope. Does it have internal adjustments? If I remember correctly the very early ones did not have internal adjustments, they were in the mounts. If it is an external adjustment I'm sure it doesn't have a centered reticle. I had one and enjoyed using it. Let me know what you decide to do with it, I might be interested.

Cheers,

Phil

monadnock#5
10-20-2007, 01:23 PM
My pop worked for Kollmorgen in Northampton, MA towards the end of his working years. There was a target set up on a mountain about 5 miles away that they used to calibrate periscopes for submarines. I don't know what your scope is worth, but I do know that in their heyday, Kollmorgen produced top drawer optics.

Welcome to the Board, by the way.

Bret4207
10-21-2007, 08:06 AM
Good scopes. Check Ebay and you'll see there is a collectors following out there.

beemer
10-21-2007, 01:25 PM
I looked up the scope in the reference book Old Rifle Scopes. Kollmorgan made scopes for Stith and then started producing them under their own name. Redfield bought out Kollmorgan in 1959. The Bear cub was made under Stith[1950-56], Kollmorgan[1956-59], and Redfield
[1959-64]. The Master 6x is listed under the Stith brand fron 1952 till 1956. It was made without any internal adjustments. Stith made adjustable mounts to use with the scope.
The value is listed at $75- $150 depending on condition.It was printed in 2000 so prices might be out of date.

I have seen some of those old scopes around but they seem to have a limited following and don't seem to move fast. The problem is finding a mount to work on the rifle you want to put it on. You have to find someone that likes to tinker around with the old stuff. If I had my Grandfathers scope I would hang on to it. At any rate I wouldn't send it to Goodwill.[ Unless it is one close to my house]

Anyway that is what I found,hope it helps and is correct.

beemer

scrapcan
10-21-2007, 02:34 PM
I have a stith mount to fit remington 721/700. I do not have the scope mount or scope rings taht go with it. Look up a thread titled need hep with stith mount or search my user name. If you ahve the rings and scope par tof the mount, the rifle side of mounts that I have may work.

Let me know if you are interested.

milsurpcollector1970
10-24-2007, 02:00 AM
The Kollmorgen 4x bear cub was used by the USMC on their Korean war version of the M1 garand sniper rifle.

Put it ebay, or www.jouster.com WTS board I bet you will be pleasantly surprised.

Crappy weaver 330c scope go for $400 and the military 2.5x lyman alaskan sells for close to $800 sometimes.

I think you could easily get $200 for it