PDA

View Full Version : Sight Radius & Sight Settings

texasmac
08-26-2013, 08:11 PM
Guys,

I just posted a short article on my website titled “Sight Radius & Sight Settings”. If you’re interested in reading it go to http://www.texas-mac.com/Sight_Radius_and_Sight_Settings.html.

Wayne

texasmac
08-26-2013, 09:41 PM
Guys,

I was just made aware of why 36” is the ideal sight radius for a BPCR with a soule tang sight. Since many BPCR shooters these days speak in terms of points rather than MOA, implying sight changes in increments of 0.010" and assume that one point makes a change of 1" at 100 yds. Therefore the ideal sight radius is 36" rather than approximately 34" and the article needs to be modified accordingly.

Regards,
Wayne

texasmac
08-27-2013, 01:51 AM
The article has been rewritten. Hopefully it now does a better job of reflecting conventional wisdom.

Wayne

texasmac
09-25-2013, 09:54 PM
I just updated the article and changed the title to Sight Setting - MOAs vs. Points. Hopefully it now does a better job of explaining the differences. If interested, go to:

http://www.texas-mac.com/Sight_Settings_MOAs_vs_Points.html

Wayne

mulehead
09-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Wayne, that is the best explanation that I have ever heard on the point system. Even I could understand it. Have a Shiloh Sharps Creedmore on order with the MVA tang sight and this will be a great help to me as I am totally ignorant when it comes to using tang sights. Unfortunately I have to wait till October 2014 to get my hands on it.

EDG
09-27-2013, 01:14 PM
100 yards = 3600 inches
36/3600 = .010 and 3600/36 =100
.010 is the ratio of one distance to the other.
Draw a cartoon of the line of sight to the target as a straight line.
Then draw a line representing the path of the bullet.
At the breech the bullet is below the line of sight. As it leaves the barrel headed up hill it crosses the line of sight and then impacts the target at some distance above the line of sight. This cartoon illustrates the ratios of the distances and explains why .010 at the sight equals 1" on the target.

Guys,

I was just made aware of why 36” is the ideal sight radius for a BPCR with a soule tang sight. Since many BPCR shooters these days speak in terms of points rather than MOA, implying sight changes in increments of 0.010" and assume that one point makes a change of 1" at 100 yds. Therefore the ideal sight radius is 36" rather than approximately 34" and the article needs to be modified accordingly.

Regards,
Wayne