PDA

View Full Version : Problem with a Lonewolf barrel

Hunter
08-26-2013, 07:00 PM
I ordered a Lonewolf barrel for my Glock 20 to shoot 175gr cast bullets, mold number 401638. I initially ordered a .401" sizing die but about 1/2 of my loaded rounds stopped about 1/2 in the chamber using the "plunk" test.
I then ordered a .400" sizing die and cut the cull rate to about 30%. With fmj bullets I have not having trouble with the round falling all the way into the chamber of the Lonewolf barrel.
Also I shot a few dozen of the lead bullets through the Glock barrel (yes I was watching for lead build up carefully) and had zero issues.
I realize the Lonewolf chamber is much tighter than the Glock chamber but this seems excessive. Even with the bullets sized to .401" the rounds had no trouble dropping into the Glock chamber.
I am not really belling the case and only crimping enough to remove any bell of the case mouth.
Should I drop a finish reemer in the Lonewolf barrel?

300savage
08-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Well you could but personally I would just drop the factory barrel back in it.

Hunter
08-26-2013, 09:02 PM
After about 20 rounds of lead bullets(about 19 bhn with 8.0gr of IMR 800X) the Glock barrel begin to lead up at the lede.

xacex
08-26-2013, 10:35 PM
I had that problem with a LW Glock 22 barrel. I found that the chamber was tight and needed to be opened up a little. Kind of like a Bentz chamber of a good .22 barrel, they can be a little tight. After that it was fine, but I just use the Glock barrels now.

Lloyd Smale
08-27-2013, 07:41 AM
my wolf 20 barrel was the same. I was told that wolf cut a bunch of them to tight so I sent it back to them and they supposidly opened it up. It helped some but still did it with some loads and the bottom line was my factory barrel actually shot better even with lead. So down the road it went.

prs
08-27-2013, 11:12 AM
my wolf 20 barrel was the same. I was told that wolf cut a bunch of them to tight so I sent it back to them and they supposidly opened it up. It helped some but still did it with some loads and the bottom line was my factory barrel actually shot better even with lead. So down the road it went.

My 401-175-TC Lee bullets dropped right into my Lone Wolf barrel, but I did get some modest leading and it was not as accurate as the OE Glock 23 barrel which never leaded at all, lube is LLA. Now, my Glock barrel is hugely generous of chamber, but does not "Glock" my brass with mild plinking loads; so I have a Wolf barrel in a drawer somewhere. If I ever get the bug to shoot full house lead loads in my Glock, maybe it would do.

prs

300savage
08-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Hunter could you be getting blow by in your factory barrel?

sargenv
08-27-2013, 11:55 AM
I have trouble with my LW barrel.. I have to seat the Lee 125-2R's to something insanely deep.. 1.030" to make them not engage rifling.. I am using a mid range load of a medium rate powder (PB) so I get no pressure signs.. but I would really prefer to seat to 1.130"..

RobS
08-27-2013, 08:32 PM
The lone wolf barrel I put into a Glock 22 for a friend had a tight chamber too; actually it was tapered toward the rifling end of the chamber. I ran a wide diameter split rod and some strips of 320 grit wet dry sand paper along with a cordless drill and worked the chamber until I had it opened up to the needed dimensions. Also the throat on the barrel I had was short as well so I lengthened it with an 11 degree brass lap and some 320 grit lapping compound.

dmize
08-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Personally I would write a nice note describing the issues and place it in the box that the barrel is going back to Lone Wolf in.
But that's just me and all my 1911's shoot cast bullets just fine.

Hunter
08-29-2013, 12:12 AM
Hunter could you be getting blow by in your factory barrel?

I don't think so. The lead bullet is hard but not overly so, 19 BHN. I am using IMR 800X a slow burning powder and using Lyman Moly lube. I have loaded a similar bullet weight with the same alloy and similar velocities in .45 Auto with zero leading.

I am thinking on having a friend of mine drop in a finish reamer.
I am hesitant to shoot a lot of lead through the factory barrel from all which I have heard about lead bullets and Glock barrels.

Lloyd Smale
08-29-2013, 06:44 AM
little hint if your sending it back to wolf. They used to take them and redue the chamber and send them back free. they had so many 10mm barrels come back that they changed there policy and now if you contact them first require you to send in money for return shipping. So dont contact them ahead of time. Just package it up and send it to them. I did and they paid for the return shipping. Thing is when it came back it was still to tight.

Ed_Shot
08-29-2013, 02:21 PM
I load for 6 different Lone Wolf barrels: 3 ea 9MM, 2 ea 40 SW and 1 ea .45 ACP. Totally pleased with the function and accuracy of all. I load all boolits to the COAL spec'ed in the Lyman 4th Ed. One 9MM barrels I had to "very lightly" lap the bearing surfaces to allow it to go in and out of battery without binding.

seagiant
08-29-2013, 03:10 PM
I load for 6 different Lone Wolf barrels: 3 ea 9MM, 2 ea 40 SW and 1 ea .45 ACP. Totally pleased with the function and accuracy of all. I load all boolits to the COAL spec'ed in the Lyman 4th Ed. One 9MM barrels I had to "very lightly" lap the bearing surfaces to allow it to go in and out of battery without binding.

Hi,
I have one in 10MM and had to take a cleaning brush and wrap some 0000 steel wool around the brush then oil and polish the chamber for a few seconds and was good to go! Shoots as good as the factory barrel and would use it for CCW if I had to! YMMV!