PDA

View Full Version : Chaparral Arms 1873

alexanderkidd
08-26-2013, 05:45 PM
I purchased this recently for what I thought was a really good price. It was new and unfired. I put about 100 rounds through it to make sure it works. Sure is a pretty one with the color case hardening and octagonal barrel.

Have read since that people tend to stay away from this brand. Is this going to be a problem gun?

hornady308
08-26-2013, 10:02 PM
I have a model '76. Overall, it is a nice gun and very accurate. The quality control seems to be a bit spotty on the Chaparrals, especially the early ones. While it isn't obvious, the barrel on mine is so off center that there is no way to get a Lyman tang sight to work without shimming a ridiculous amount. Still, it is a very pretty rifle, lots of fun to shoot and I'm glad I got it. Did your's come from CDNN?

alexanderkidd
08-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Not sure if it did or not, it was from a friend's safe. Never been shot.

Front sight is a little loose, but it has a screw in the top and I haven't tried tightening the screw yet.

Also pretty stiff extracting things, I think it could use some lighter hammer springs.

But have shot it and haven't seen any serious problems. Just wondering whether to keep her or try and move up to a Uberti.

ReloaderFred
08-27-2013, 02:27 AM
If you're going to move up on a '73, then go for the Winchester. Although it's made in Japan, the workmanship is top notch. A friend of mine is shooting one in SASS matches and doing very well with it. He likes it much better than his old Uberti, and they cost about the same.

Hope this helps.

Fred

alexanderkidd
08-27-2013, 06:45 AM
I too would like to know how your rifle works out, accuracy on paper at measured distances. I have a Uberti 1873 SRC in 44 special, it will shoot 1" at 50 yards. I have to get time to shoot it more. It has good rifling more like what some call Ballard type rifling, more like originals and suitable to cast boolits. I prefer that over the Miroku rifling.

I'll lug it to the range next time I go and see what the groups are like. Have only tried handloads thus far (Bullseye, RNFPs from Oregon Trail).

alexanderkidd
08-27-2013, 11:49 AM
.45lc

alexanderkidd
08-29-2013, 11:02 AM
I too would like to know how your rifle works out, accuracy on paper at measured distances. I have a Uberti 1873 SRC in 44 special, it will shoot 1" at 50 yards. I have to get time to shoot it more. It has good rifling more like what some call Ballard type rifling, more like originals and suitable to cast boolits. I prefer that over the Miroku rifling.

I got about 2" at 50 yards at the range yesterday with my reloads (7gr Bullseye, Oregon Trail 200 grain hard cast bullet).

This was from a sandbag rest and with buckhorn-style iron sights so I'm sure it could be improved. Not sure the twist rate on the barrel but it may prefer heavier bullets and softer lead.

I'm by no means an experienced shooter from the sandbags; it sure is easier with optics, even as low as 3x makes a big difference to me at that range!

missionary5155
08-31-2013, 11:06 AM
Greetings
Two years ago purchased a Chappi in 50-95. It is a fine shooting rifle. My only "no like-um" was the ladder sight. Not well made. But I do not need it anyway so replaced it with a nice full buckhorn that gets me to 200 yards... And a caliber .50 350 grainer chugging along at 1463 average FPS really does not need to be aimed much past that. Especially where I end up hunting... brushy river bottoms and thick stuff.
Next time up gonna make a caliber .515 HP jig and see what a 320 grainer willl do. Just may get to 1500 fps with 3F as the old Exprss load did with a 300 grainer.
But as far as the rifle is I am very happy with the quality and the chance to shoot a 50-95 without having to sell off all my rifles to have just one lead launcher.
I am looking hard at the 40-60's still out there. Have a 45-60 and that caliber .40 would be a nice mid-bore caliber to pop corn crunchers and coyotees with.
Mike in Peru