PDA

View Full Version : Fill: "Polyester" fluff = "Dacron"???

Grump
08-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Trip to the local crafty store was a bust, asking for Dacron and all they had was "poly".

Then my old memory kicks in and I remember hearing Dacron called "Dacron-polyester".

Same stuff? I'm rarely this anal, but I'm also too embarassed to ask about the natural alternative, kapok. That stuff don't grow here.

But we got cat-tails down by the river and at a few springs. Would that fluff do as well???

My hot-weather testing of a lube in .223 loads is stuck right now because of this.

Thanks!

41 mag fan
08-26-2013, 05:10 PM
Polyester is the same stuff. Dacon is Duponts trademark name for it.
Kapok...I got 5lbs I'll sell you for $45 shipped

crash87
08-26-2013, 05:33 PM
Find yourself an old, very old life jacket, the old orange ones that went around your neck. It will be full of Kapok.
Crash87

williamwaco
08-26-2013, 05:43 PM
You should find some hanging out of the bottom of most furniture and or some old pillows.

I don't use it any more but when I did, I used .75 grains per cartridge.

That means 1 pound will load 9,000 rounds.

You will never use that much.

You will quit using it long before you use it up.

Grump
08-26-2013, 07:16 PM
You should find some hanging out of the bottom of most furniture and or some old pillows.

I don't use it any more but when I did, I used .75 grains per cartridge.

That means 1 pound will load 9,000 rounds.

You will never use that much.

You will quit using it long before you use it up.

mmmyeah, that's why I was reading tags on pillows and stuffed toys last week.

Just read up on cat-tail, and during The War (WWII), it was used as a substitute for kapok in life vests.

Looks like I might have a local choice here. Methinks the non-cotton "cotton balls" are polyester, no less... Will check that too.

Anyone try cat-tail fluff?

Baja_Traveler
08-27-2013, 10:33 AM
I just pinch off a small piece of a poly "Cotton" ball. Works great, and easy to get...

bangerjim
08-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Dacron poly is available at WalFart in a BIG HUGE bag for $3.50. Gals stuff teddy bears with it!

Dacron poly will not burn easily as will cotton or cat tails. If you hunt and are worried about starting a forest fire, do not use cotton! I have used cotton B4 and have never had any "great balls of fire" coming out the end of my rifle. But some say it will do that.

Better safe than sorry, I guess.

bangerjim

dbosman
08-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Polyester is inherently flame resistant.
If you can wait, the big bags are usually a dollar or less on December 26th. The bags marked as treated for fire resistance, use an ferric solution.

Grump
08-27-2013, 05:14 PM
Kewl.

Thanks for the updates and clarifications and all that. Posted this before finishing the Proper Use of Fillers thread (slightly hard to read on the mobile device...and I got to the real computer last night).

Will use poly with confidence.

Still no one ever used cat-tail fluff? For some reason there is some appeal to the idea of using a "natural" and "renewable" and Obama-proof filler, free from dependence on heavy manufacturing in distant cities.

And I HAVEN'T been watching zombie shows, either!!!!

HollowPoint
08-27-2013, 06:01 PM
If you have any "Dollar-Stores" in your neck of the woods you might try going to one of them and buying one of their cheap little "Throw-Pillows."

They're stuffed with dacron so you don't have to buy a giant bag of the stuff that you will most likely never use up. If it's going to be used for testing to see if it's going to work for you, these "Dollar-Stores" also carry cheap little stuffed toys that are full of this stuff.

HollowPoint

zomby woof
08-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Jo-Ann fabrics. I get the flat batting in 8 and 10 ounce. I cut it into strips and then cubes. This way you get consistent pieces.

Grump
08-28-2013, 01:26 AM
Actually, Ahmma gunnah check the label on an Angry Birds pig "pillow" that my youngest has been using for an archery target.

Couple of holes in it already.

Lead Fred
08-28-2013, 01:51 AM
I asked Mrs Fred if she had an old pillow I can gut for stuffings.
Cant tell ya what came out of that pillow, but Ive been using it for years now, and Ive never had any melt yet.
I use the pillow tucking for patches too.

calgunner
08-28-2013, 04:03 AM
Like bangerjim I got a big bag of it at Wal-Mart.

nekshot
08-28-2013, 07:06 AM
geeez I am a tight wad. I use the lint out of the dryer if I need a filler.

hiram
08-28-2013, 02:38 PM
I'm still working on a bag of polyester pillow stuffing. I don't know if I will ever use it up, but I read that as an alternate, keep a zip lock baggy available and when you clean your clothes dryer filter save the lint.