PDA

View Full Version : Sight Problems

brad925
08-26-2013, 01:22 PM
I purchased sights for my Uberti Highwall. They where Pedersoli long range sights thinking that they would be the same as the Uberti sights given the fact the only difference I could find in the pictures online was the box for the pedersoli sights had a DP burned into the inside of the lid and the Uberti one did not. The bolt holes lined up on the tang and the front sight fit the dove tail. The only modification that had to be made was the rear screw head that was on my gun originally was too big to fit down in the slot on the mount. So I had a screw made for the lower mounting hole and one made for the upper one because the thread was different from the screws provided. Now the sight is installed I found another problem. Because the eye cup on the rear sight has an unusually long barrel to look through, if I mount the staff perfectly straight I cannot see the front sight. I guess you could say I have a limited field of view. Looking at a friends rifle with a different make of sight it does not have this long barrel on the eyecup. The pedersoli sight is quite thick in its design on how it all attaches to the staff resulting in this long barrel on the eyecup. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with this sight. I also am not able to lay the sight flat enough to clean the rifle from the breech end because even at its lowest setting the eyecup touches just at the point where the wrist rises. I could get another sight but at the price that I paid for this one i am hoping i stalled it wrong. any help would be appreciated.

hickstick_10
08-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Get rid of the pedersoli sight and get a proper tang sight from MVA (montana vintage arms).

Be ready, they cost more then the pedersoli sights.

Nobade
08-26-2013, 02:32 PM
I concur - I too bought the Pedersoli long range soule sight and really wish I had saved up some more dough and bought a MVA or other good one. They cost more than a nice Leupold, but they really are the way to go if you want to do precision repeatable shooting at long range with this type rifle.

-Nobade

country gent
08-26-2013, 03:17 PM
What may be happening is the staff is looking square but isnt try pushing forward and back on the staff and see if the view gets better. My pendersoli Long range soule sight is adjustable for staff angle front to back. You may be just outside of where you need to be. With the "long eye cup this will become ore critical. Set it up solid on sand bags on a heavy bench good and solid. Set the tang in the upright notch and then lightly push it forward while looking thru it to see if it needs a slightly diffrent angle. The angles of the tangs on diffrent rifles vary. The sight I got the spring is slotted and a screw locks it down in position. My C Sharps the spring is under the base and had to be sloted and radious refit to adjust it. Go slow and easy try this and see if it helps. A couple degrees off and your seeing the tube not thru it. Also make sure the sight is square to the bore at 12:00 otherwise with elevation changes windage will change also.

huntrick64
08-26-2013, 03:19 PM
I concur as well. I bought a Hoke sight from Kermit and a Baldwin tunnel sight from Baldwin. If you ever change guns you will move a quality sight to the next gun and not sell it with the gun.

montana_charlie
08-26-2013, 09:19 PM
i am hoping i stalled it wrong. any help would be appreciated.
If you really think that possibility exists, perhaps it's worth looking at.
Do you have the base mounted on your tang with the long leg pointing forward or backward?

Of course, a guy can install a rifle accessory in any configuration that suits his preference, but it is 'normal' to have the long leg of the base pointing to the rear when mounted on a Hiwall.

Turning things around WILL require adjusting the staff angle, and MAY allow cleaning from the breech with the staff laid back.

If not, you can always unscrew the eyepiece prior to cleaning.

CM

brad925
08-27-2013, 11:10 AM
I was wondering about that Charlie. Thanks for confirming that idea. I will give it a try.

EDG
08-29-2013, 07:59 PM
You do not say which sight you have but if it is the Soule version you are right about the design of the vertical slider and disk. The entire design is too thick and it will not lay down for cleaning.
The staff tension spring is a serrated flat spring that you can relax and move to tilt the sight so you can see through it. If you shoot at a fixed distance and don't mind using a flexible rod or cleaning from the muzzle you can get some use out of the Pedersoli sight. I have 3 different Ped sights that came to me at give away prices.
They are ok for fixed distance plinking or hunting but are not top of the line sights for competition.

brad925
09-06-2013, 06:27 PM
I have the soule long range sight. I tried turning the base around and that solved the problem of the sight not laying down but created one more and that is that I don't have enough adjustment to get the sight to line up properly now or to the point that I can see the front sight.

montana_charlie
09-06-2013, 09:48 PM
I have the soule long range sight. I tried turning the base around and that solved the problem of the sight not laying down but created one more and that is that I don't have enough adjustment to get the sight to line up properly now or to the point that I can see the front sight.
Are you saying the aperture won't go low enough for a zero at a hundred yards?
CM

bigted
09-06-2013, 11:09 PM
upon turning that long leg the other way for mounting on a Hiwall.... I also take the pivot screw out and turn the staff around so the indent is stopping it in the proper spot so as to get a good sight picture.

CanoeRoller
09-07-2013, 11:03 AM
I feel that most shooters sometimes get things backward. They are willing to spend big $ on the rifle, then slap the cheapest sights they can find on top. You want to think of the sights as more important than the rifle. If you are willing to pay more than a $1,000 for a rifle, but only $29.95 on the sights, you are only cheating yourself.

Lead pot
09-07-2013, 12:01 PM
CR I see this on our range. Not many BPCR shooters here but you see some fine high end HP rifles and look what's mounted on top and you see a low end scope on it. The shooter is spraying holes all over the paper and blaming the rifle for not grouping.

My first reproduction Sharps was the Pedersoli Quigley rifle when they first came on the market and it came with a tang sight. When I was cleaning the bore after unpacking the rifle and mounting the sight that thing flip-flopped sideways and I knew it wasn't going to work. I tightened it up as much as I could and headed to the range and shot a few rounds to get it on center and everytime I put the staff back up the flip-flop was back. Well I took it off and threw it in the weeds behind me and finished the day with the barrel sights.

I have 8 Sharps now and 7 have the MVA tang sight on them. There are other fine tang sights available for these rifles besides the MVA. Put a decent sight on your rifle and stop the frustration messing around with what you're using before you blame the rifle and lose interest.

oldracer
09-07-2013, 03:48 PM
Several things I found about tang sights in the few years I have been shooting BPCRs and now my long range muzzle loaders that were told to me by Doug Knoell. First off get the front globe somewhat centered. Next stap the gun down so the BORE of the barrel is exactly level. If the barrel has a taper and most do then you will have to use a digital level to make the top of the barrel at the correct angle. I use the level app in my iPhone. Next level the rifle left/right and use the top of the breech as a level point and hopefully the level at the front globe will be in the middle. If it is not then move the gun left/right to make the globe level centered and note any angle the top of the breech or barrel is off. Next mount the tang sight and tighten the screws snug and check for left/right by using a digital level on the side of the staff. If not vertical then shim it and repeat until it is. Next you adjust the fore/aft vertical of the staff usually by adjusting the tension spring and it's screw. This can be a pain in the *** but it is important. Once that is done, run the adjustment all the way down and look through it and then all the way up and look through it and the picture of the front globe insert should be the same with even space all around the globe insert. If the picture looks good then really tighten down the screws and recheck and you should be good to go.

You can check how well the tang sight is adjusted by inserting a drill bit or a length of drill rod the nearly the same diameter as the hole in the center of the eye cup and with the staff in the position that would be used to shoot, see where the rod points? It should be pretty close to pointing at the front globe insert.

On my limited edition Creedmoor #352 Sharps I had to pull the eye piece when cleaning the barrel so I got used to it. That never caused any issues as the sight picture never changed. Doug told me to always beware of anyone that said there is only one way of doing things or one type of equipment only as that is not a good idea and to test things and adjust things well first.

brad925
09-07-2013, 10:30 PM
Well I guess you cant go by the cost of something to determine whether its any good or not. The Pederoli sights were only about $25 less than the MVA.

hickstick_10
09-08-2013, 01:59 AM
Then youre getting ripped off as well.

montana_charlie
09-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Well I guess you cant go by the cost of something to determine whether its any good or not. The Pederoli sights were only about $25 less than the MVA.
So, let's get back to whatever the problem is that you are experiencing.

In what way are you kept from getting a usable sight picture now that you have turned the base around?

CM