PDA

View Full Version : Tarnished Gas Checks

fixerupper
08-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Made an AWESOME score at a garage sale..... I picked up 6 and 1/2 boxes of old Hornady 30 cal gas checks for.... ***drumroll*** ..... TEN DOLLARS!!! Woot.

Problem is they're fairly dark from tarnish.... darker than an old penny. I know they're probably ok to shoot ..... but.... If I wanted to spiff them up a bit..... do you guys think I could run them through some weak CLR solution or simply toss them into my tumbler without any ill effects???

Any other Ideas???

Thanks!!

Fixer

gmsharps
08-26-2013, 11:06 AM
I'd say just shoot them. If they are only dark and not corroded it would be to much trouble for what you get in return.

gmsharps

mold maker
08-26-2013, 12:16 PM
I can't see any gain by cleaning them, but I know all about pride in your product. Most any method of cleaning GCs should be OK. Citric acid, Lemishine, Koolaid, CC or walnut tumbling, will all do the job.

Dale in Louisiana
08-26-2013, 02:31 PM
They're absolutely bad and dangerous.

Hundreds of shooters are killed each year due to spoilt gas checks like yours.

Tell you what, though. for a fellow shooter, if you send them to me at your expense, I will dispose of them in a proper manner.

dale in Louisiana

gray wolf
09-01-2013, 10:10 AM
House hold vinegar, one cup and a small amount of table salt, stir a little and add the checks or any copper object. Shake em up for 30 seconds and WA - La
shiny new looking checks. Rinse in tap water, don't get any easier.

dbosman
09-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Washing them is easy. Finding tiny little towels to dry them is the hard part.

1Shirt
09-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Have shot a bunch of old tarnished gas checks! They shoot just like shiny ones!
1Shirt!

barrabruce
09-11-2013, 10:31 AM
I hope you don't mind the but in...but I procured a small handful of 25 gas checks in a glass jar.
They all seem to have a green ring in the inside on the bottom.

Will these clean up too to be usefull??
I doubt if I'll find any 25 cal checks at the local shops.
Barra

WILCO
09-11-2013, 10:52 AM
They all seem to have a green ring in the inside on the bottom.

That green ring stabilizes them in flight. :kidding:

barrabruce
09-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Sounds like I got a bonus with these checks then. :)