PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Pro - Melt 120 volt furnace

REDBARON
08-26-2013, 10:30 AM
Just received the above furnace. After seven years with my Lee pots, decided to change. Had my first casting session last Friday. Long story short, I had to turn the temp dial to the highest setting to achieve 600-625 degrees. Believe the temp markings were either 750 or 850. Can't remember. Have any of you had the same experience? Thermostat markings only for reference? Other than that, pleased with the results. For the record, both of my Lee pots, turned to the highest settings, only reach 600-625 degrees.

Sweetpea
08-26-2013, 11:03 AM
I think you should check your thermometer first.

detox
08-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Some of the cheaper casting thermometers are not set correctly or not very accurate. I have two RCBS thermometers. One is 15 years old and the other is 1 year old. Both read the same. I have another cheaper budget thermometer that reads 50 degrees different from the RCBS...i had to twist dial face to rezero. I trust the RCBS versions more,.

David2011
08-26-2013, 11:24 AM
The numbers might as well be 1-10 until you adjust the knob to match the temp in the mold. Even after adjusting, it's still only an approximate guide. To adjust, let the alloy melt and sit for a while to become stable in temperature. This is how I adjust it and there may be a better way; this is just one way. When the pilot light goes off and you hear the furnace click off, check the thermometer. If they match, you're done. If not, loosen the setscrews and make the knob match the thermometer. To test the thermometer you can melt some stick on WW or other "pure" lead. Pure lead melts at 621.43 degrees F.

David

REDBARON
08-26-2013, 11:27 AM
I had followed the instructions in regards to setting the temp and adding alloy. Two hours later, solid ingots. After calling the RCBS service line and being told to send the furnace back, I turned the thermstat dial to the highest setting. Ingots finally melted. Thermometer has always been consistent...either correct or incorrect. Will check.

Echo
08-26-2013, 11:29 AM
And maybe check actual voltage (power) to the pots. A low voltage will not heat as much.

And most pots don't have thermostats, they have controllers. A controller simply adjusts the duty cycle, turning the pot on and off, depending on the setting, with no real feedback from the temperature. The dial is calibrated for 120 volts, and if your mains voltage is only 105, say, then the pot won't get as hot. Possibly the RCBS does have an actual thermostat - IDK...

David2011
08-26-2013, 11:36 AM
The RCBS has a thermostat.

David