PDA

View Full Version : Coon Proofing Your Deer Feeder

buckwheatpaul
08-26-2013, 07:43 AM
In Texas we are blessed or cursed with wild hogs and plenty of coons....You keep the hogs away from your deer feeder by placing 28" tall cattle panels around your feeder....and when a feeder has a throw radius of 24 feet you can only guess what that costs....but the coon over population is a big issue...they tear up your feeder and waste deer nuggets and corn......a friend told me about a way to COON PROOF my deer feeder and it is very simple. I took his suggestion and modified it to make it work better.

Material List:

The average leg diameter on a deer feeder is 1-1/4".
1. You buy 10 feet of plastic pvc that is a larger diameter than the leg. In my case it was 1-1/2" pvc water pipe.
2. I also went and bought 2 packages of 11/32" x. 2-3/8" x. 0.90 springs @ Lowes (0 38902 00244 0 scew).
3. Thin wire about 14 ga. or 16 ga. about 4 feet ( I used galvinized hot wire).
4. 3 self-tapping screws to secure the spring to the feeder legs.

Assembly:

1. Cut the 1-1/2" pvc into 3 equal lengths (3'4").
2. Drill two holes in line with the first hole about 1" from one end of 1-1/2" pvc leg. The second hole is drilled about 1" below the first hole. These holes are for the 14 ga. wire to be threaded through.
3. Cut the 14 ga. wire into three equal lengths (1' per piece worked for me) and make a curve in one end of each wire so that you can thread it through the two holes. Make a loop with the wire and the loop is on the outside of the pipe and extend past the end of the pvc sleeve.
4. Slide the 1-1/2" plastic sleeves on the three legs with the wire loops facing up.
5. Attach one self-tapping screw to the top of each leg and on the bottom side of each leg.
6. Attach one spring to the exterior loop on each sleeve and slide the sleeve up the leg towards the self-tapping screw. Bend one end of the spring around the loop, on the sleeve, and bend the other end of the spring around the shank of self-tapping screw and then tighten the screw to hold the top of the spring against the bottom side of the feeder leg.

When a coon attempts to climb the leg of the feeder the pvc pipe will rotate, spin, and throw the coon off of the leg.....Be sure to attach the loop of the sleeve to the bottom side of each leg.

Sorry for no pictures....not sure how to attach pictures.....

The cost of the materials is between the cost of 50 pounds of corn and deer

nuggets.

110416;110419

Fishman
08-29-2013, 09:40 PM
Sounds a bit better than the carpet tack strips a lot of folks use.

Rojelio
08-30-2013, 10:51 AM
Or you could just grease the legs. That will stop them for a while 'till they wear all the grease off.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb280/rojelio0/376_zps296673d5.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/rojelio0/media/376_zps296673d5.jpg.html)

buckwheatpaul
08-31-2013, 06:45 AM
My feeders throw a 24 ft. radius....I figured the number of 28" panels I would need to encircle the feeder and then placed t-posts at roughly 5 ft. spacing and no more hog problems.....several studies have shown that 28" hights will stop most of the hogs.....you can also take cattle panels (16 ft long and made of heavy wire) and cut them in half....keeping the hogs out is good....you will still get plenty of shots and the brats, sausage, ribs, chili and meat loaves made are worth the effort!!!!!

Just Duke
08-31-2013, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the update and the pics.

buckwheatpaul
07-12-2014, 08:28 AM
Finally figured out how to post pictures.....deer season is just around the corner.....good luck!

Paul

GoodOlBoy
07-12-2014, 08:54 AM
By the way if you ever want to get only hogs to eat your corn (for hog traps) spray a little diesel in it and mix it up good. Nothin but a hog will touch it afterwards, and they love it.

For coons, I suggest going coon hunting. A rapidly forgotten very fun hunt these days.

GoodOlBoy

jmorris
07-12-2014, 09:53 AM
I have a tripod that has a pully at the top with a boat style winch on one leg. Lifts a 55 gallon drum from the lid (with an old concrete saw blade as a big washer on the bottom of the lid).

The height of the bottom and the fact that the legs go above the top of the barrel make it too far for them to travel. Doesn't stop them from getting it when it hits the ground though.

Powder Burn
07-16-2014, 07:34 AM
Cool. I'll use this on my Martin houses. Squirrel baffle doesn't seem to work.