PDA

View Full Version : Lyman or Hornady Gas Checks?

mtgrs737
10-19-2007, 11:17 PM
I will soon be the owner of a new Lyman 30 cal. 311041 rifle bullet mould which casts bullets that use a gas check My question is which brand of GC should I buy? Are they both the same in fit, form and function? I have Hornady checks available localy, but not Lyman, should I seek out the Lyman brand? Thanks for your help.

NVcurmudgeon
10-19-2007, 11:23 PM
Honady makes Lyman GC these days. I don't know if they keep up the difference in the two brands or not. I always used Hornady because it just stood to reason the crimp-on was better. Now I have Gators in two calibers and can hardly wait to try them.

mtgrs737
10-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Oh, then the Hornady is different than the Lyman used to be. Localy the Hornady GC are 24.95 per 1000. I have not heard of Gator GC. Thanks for the reply.

dromia
10-20-2007, 04:31 AM
No_1 has been trying to run a gator check group by but it has been dragging on for months, we seem to be waiting for Mr Gator to decide on the calibres he will run for us and the price.

The threads are on the Group buy board.

Lloyd Smale
10-20-2007, 05:35 AM
the old lymans are not a crimp on design and tend to come off bullets in flight. thing is that some bullet designs are cut with differnt gas check shank sizes and some need lyman sized checks. I dont know if this is a consern with .30s I know it definatley is with 41s and can be with .35s and 44s too. Nice thing about gator is he makes them to fit about any shank size and you can even send him a sample bullet and he will see which fits the best on your specific bullet.