PDA

View Full Version : Rossi ranch hand

historicfirearms
08-25-2013, 10:27 AM
I've got a growing want to get a Ranch Hand just for the fun of it. I've got a Ruger Charger and it is one of my favorite guns I own. It's neither rifle nor pistol, I get it, and it is good. I get a good cheek weld with the Charger, holding it up like a rifle. It is very accurate and comfortable to shoot that way.

My question is, does anyone shoot their Ranch Hand in that way? None of my local gun shops have one to try out before I order one. It looks like the buttstock on the ranch hand would allow a good cheek weld, but would the stock dig into your face when fired?

junkpile
08-25-2013, 10:52 PM
How do you get a cheek weld on the charger?

I shoot mine laying down. I personally think the ranch hand is a novelty / hip shot entertainer. I've seen it on the shelf and in a few movies. Nothing beyond that.

maglvr
08-25-2013, 11:47 PM
Having fired my neighbor's ranch hand, I have to say, if you want to shoot from a rest they are OK, shooting off hand in any manner, they are a joke and of little worth whatsoever.
However, I can see where adding a laser to it, would elevate it's usefullness and worth ten fold!

historicfirearms
08-26-2013, 07:31 AM
Try holding the Charger up to your face like it had a butt stock. For me, the little bit of pistol grip or what would be the wrist if it had a stock, fits perfectly near the corner of my mouth. I find this position almost as stable as firing a rifle off hand.

KCSO
08-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Sounds like a real good idea with a 44 Mag ranch hand and full loads...not. I have shot a 357 with 38's and it was accurate from a rest and holding it two handed pulling forward on the froend and back on the grip it wasn't bad, about as accurate as a typical revolver at the same distance. I was thinking of gettng one to pack on the bike in place of my revolver, but haven't been able to come to grips with the idea yet.

helice
08-28-2013, 01:14 AM
I am told that some of the Canadian shooters have mounted M-92 stocks on these to have a sweet trapper type. I think this is a great idea. I wish the BATF agreed. I have a Browning in 44 Mag. I could see shooting one of these with the short stock and full-house loads might bring on an immediate need for a dentist. I might try it with the .357 tho.:p

jh45gun
08-28-2013, 06:24 AM
I have one in 45 Colt. I made a lace on butt extension of a couple of inches and with that you can shoot it like a rifle just fine. Some other tips you can put on one of them rifle sling barrel setups and use a sling around your neck and hold it out with both hands. The sling steadies it for accurate shooting. Personally I just like the extension I made. It is not permanent and it is not a full stock so the BATF has no issues with it and it makes shooting from the shoulder possible. It is no different than adding a rubber grip to a handgun.

robertbank
09-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Interesting thread. Up here the guns are classified as rifles and we can add a regular stock legally with no problems. We don't see a lot of .45Colt rifles up here so I may go with the ranch hand route and add a full stock. Could be the ticket for a truck gun.

Bob

metalbender
09-05-2013, 07:24 PM
I put a Rossi 92 butt stock on mine, cut the stock at the plate inlet and added a rubber pad. LOP is 12 in. In 44 mag it's a super little bush gun loaded with 300 gr XTP.
http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae4/metalbendr/IMG_2451_zps3eb6da51.jpg (http://s952.photobucket.com/user/metalbendr/media/IMG_2451_zps3eb6da51.jpg.html)
http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae4/metalbendr/IMG_2453_zps9c6d131a.jpg (http://s952.photobucket.com/user/metalbendr/media/IMG_2453_zps9c6d131a.jpg.html)

robertbank
09-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Exactly what I have in mind. I will likely go with the 45Colt though. Bigger is mo betta. LOL

Take Care

Bob

dunkel
09-17-2013, 06:45 AM
I did have a crazy idea of getting a Ranch Hand and putting in the SBR paperwork and throwing a full size 92 stock on it. But that's just crazy talk, I know.

KCSO
09-17-2013, 02:22 PM
I had to test to see what if anyting these offered.

First the original Mares leg from Dead or Alive was strictly a novelty. The barrel was 9" long with NO sights. The total capacity in 44-40 was 5 rounds.

The Rossi has a 12" barrel and compared to a 7 1/2" revolver gives about 100 to 170 fps more velocity depending on the load and the powder. The Rossi has sights and is capable of some good shooting from a rest but I have yet to find a comfortable psition for offhand work with the Rossi. The Rossi 357 I used held 6 rounds so there is no firepower advantage and in addition it takes TWO hands to cycle the action. Spin cocking is a dangerous joke and requires a specially modified gun to accomplish.

The bottom line for me is that my revolver is just as powerful and faster to use. This one is a movie prop that really has no practical value other than it's COOL.

helice
09-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Metalbender,
Thanks for the digital "proof" that these short trappers were being made. I like what you have done with the short LOP and the pad. Like I said above, It's a great idea for a truck rifle.

metalbender
09-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Thanks. It has it's own cool factor and speaks with authority. I also put on a Skinner peep/ghost ring sight which had to be slightly modded to bring the poi down to poa.

jh45gun
09-21-2013, 04:01 AM
I disagree they do not have a use of course they do. That would be like saying a snub nose has no use just be cause YOU do not like them. If a person wants one and enjoys it why not. That is their prerogative to own one. Once I changed to a higher front sight I am perfectly happy with mine.

ironhead7544
09-21-2013, 11:57 AM
People have reported using the 357 Mag RH like a rifle on their cheek with no problems. The larger calibers would be uncomfortable IMHO.

Since you can take one to Canada, it would be a good camp gun.

historicfirearms
09-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Thanks ironhead, I hadn't heard of anyone firing one like that. Sounds like a fun gun, and IMHO, that's reason enough to own one.

robertbank
09-21-2013, 03:10 PM
Since you can take one to Canada, it would be a good camp gun.

You might want to read our regulations first and have your paper work done BEFORE you hit the border. The guns is classified as a rifle up her so it doesn't have to be registered any more. I am not sure what other requirements are involved as I am not affected by them. I only have to worry about going south.

With a regular stock it makes a great camp gun. I suspect you would need to practice a lot with it in it's stock form.

Take Care

Bob

jh45gun
09-22-2013, 03:12 PM
I have shot mine in its regular form Robert with no issues in a 45 Colt. Adding a lace on extended butt pad makes it easier yet and it only has to extend about two inches.