PDA

View Full Version : New RCBS mold for my 30-30.

44man
08-25-2013, 08:51 AM
I just received the mold with our last order that was on back order 3 months. I washed it with soap and water. The sprue plate was too tight so I loosened it. I seen light through the blocks and a tap on each pin fixed it.
I stuck it in my little oven while the lead melted. The first two boolits were perfect but the front cavity had a tiny flash so I loosened the plate a little more. Flashing went away and I cast a pile with zero rejects.
I suppose I have 1/2 hour cleaning, putting handles on and getting the mold working. Boolits fell right out or just a light tap on the hinge.
It casts just the right size, .310" to .311".
It was a pleasure to have a new mold work so easy. Not often a mold is right!

Larry Gibson
08-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Which bullet?

Larry Gibson

DrCaveman
08-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Yeah 44man, which boolit?

I just received the 30-180-fn yesterday, and looking forward to breaking it in today...the rains have arrived, so shooting is not in the cards. Good thing since i am hoping to get a deer with this boolit so i need to get a good load figured out pronto!

You shooting a win94 or marlin 336?

44man
08-25-2013, 01:29 PM
It is the .30-150-FN and I have the 336 Marlin.
No break in required for any mold. That is a myth. The first boolit should be perfect after a little work before even casting. Then a tweak without a boolit loss.
Let me know how the 180 does.

44man
08-25-2013, 01:35 PM
I just slugged my bore and groove runs .309" to .3092" Hard because I do not have brass rods to fit the .30.
I used the .311" die to lube but it does not touch much so the boolits will be close to .310". The boolit nose is a perfect fit at the muzzle for the bore ride. I might have the best of the best. It will be the powder and load.

44man
08-25-2013, 03:27 PM
I did not work loads, just took a few. 18 gr of 4759 gave me 1-1/2" at 100. Varget had three high, close and two 4" low in the bull. Looks like I will work with 4759.

detox
08-25-2013, 07:05 PM
I cast that boolit using linotype, sized to .310 and lubed with SPG. 1200fps using 9 grains of Trail Boss from my Model 94. I have also used Lyman #2 alloy, but linotype does a much better job filling the mould and target shooting.

w30wcf
08-26-2013, 10:03 AM
My 336A micro groove .30-30 really likes the 150 RCBS. Hard to believe that its been over 25 years ago that I purchased that mold. 44man, great to hear that your RCBS mold is still of the same quality today.:smile:

Back then it was all about how fast could I push a cast bullet accurately. I had made some bullets from w.w. + 2% tin (158 grs) and heat treated them. I started with the Winchester recommended load of 748 and then started going up from there.

At a velocity of close to 2,500 f.p.s. I stopped. At that velocity, a 10 shot group at 100 yards went into 2 1/4" with 5 of them a bit under 1 1/2". To say that I was happy would be an understatement. :smile:

I purchased the 180 RCBS at the same time. In w.w. alloy the bullet weighs 190 grs inc g.c from my mold. Because the base of the bullet protrudes below the case neck, for 2,100 f.p.s. loads, I like H414 / W760 in 36 gr doses. Accuracy is very good with groups in the 1 1/2" range if I do my part.:smile:

w30wcf

DrCaveman
08-26-2013, 10:18 PM
I poured a small batch yesterday with the new mould, after a brake cleaner and soap and water cleansing

Overall very impressed with the mould performance, it dropped nicely but required about 10 pours to get up to temp and wrinkle-free. I guess i underestimated the amount of time and temp required on my hotplate before running it

I am a bit disappointed with nose diameter, it was a loose sloppy fit in my marlin muzzle

UPDATE
I just got done with a batch where the alloy was around 675* and now the bore riding section is micing about .307x304 which is PLENTY big. Im about to walk back to the furnace and see if she's around 700 which i think might be perfect.

Yesterdays pours were using an alloy quite a bit hotter. Amazing how these seemingly subtle changes affect the final product.

All in all, a much better mould than my Lee's...big surprise, eh?

44man
08-27-2013, 08:35 AM
I shot some yesterday. I tried 17.5 gr of 4759 and had 3 shots center bull at 3/4" but two went out to the right to open it to 2-3/8". 18 gr opened and hit to the right 2-3/8". Anther half gr to 18.5 shot into an inch but 4-1/2" high and 2-1/2" right.
There is no way a half gr will do that so I am thinking the old scope has a problem and I don't have another to try. I have been seeing to many weird shots, even with other powders.
The scope does not follow adjustments like it should either, old Tasco I had laying around.

DrCaveman
08-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Hmmm, looked over the boolits cast from my new 30-180-fn and see that most have finned noses. Sure enough, daylight showing between mold halves. So i gave the alignment pin a little squeeze in the vice and now it's all dark

Also the bolt securing the sprue plate had loosened. I readjusted and THIS TIME used the correct allen wrench to tighten. It was way too tight when i opened the box, then when i checked today it was way too loose. Seems good now

All in all it is looking like the same treatment as 44man gave, and the mold is now just about up to temp so i will go try again.

Any of you have a favorite load with this boolit using H414 powder?

DrCaveman
08-27-2013, 11:32 PM
Well now that i have recessed the alignment pins to the point that the mould closes fully, the boolit noses are a sloppy fit once again. I seem to need about .302-303" to fit the bore-riding portion, and i am getting .300-3015" or so.

Tried alloy temps from 675 up to 900, no change.
Tried mould temp from 2 second sprue soldify time up to 8-10 seconds sprue soldify time

Not sure what gives, this mould is starting to frustrate me

Sorry w30wcf, didnt see your 36 gr load recc for this boolit. Will try it if i can get the sucker to fit!

Alloy is WW/magnum shot/5050 solder ratio about 30:1:2

DrCaveman
08-27-2013, 11:35 PM
44man

What is considered the 'perfect fit' at the muzzle for the bore ride? I thought it was supposed to be a very firm push with fingers or a light tap with a mallet. But not drop-in. Please correct me if wrong. Thanks

detox
08-28-2013, 06:18 AM
44man

What is considered the 'perfect fit' at the muzzle for the bore ride? I thought it was supposed to be a very firm push with fingers or a light tap with a mallet. But not drop-in. Please correct me if wrong. Thanks

Linotype will cast larger and fill the mould best. Nose ride is a snug fit in my Model 94 muzzle. I also use the soft SPG lube which leaves a good lube star at end of muzzle after shooting. Soft lube slings off boolit more uniformly when shot.

44man
08-28-2013, 08:25 AM
44man

A lever gun has little power to chamber a tight fit so I think it should just fit. A little play does not hurt.
I made a mold for the gun and they are too tight, a devil to close the lever. I have a hard time with cherry dimensions so I just bought the RCBS.
The best for micro groove is a short bore ride and more drive area.
The hotter you cast, the smaller the boolit will be. Sprue times have no affect, just let get solid so there are no lead smears on the mold or plate.
I ladle cast, slow and easy so 750* works for me. If you cast real fast, turn the heat down.
I tried Varget and do not get groups, needs more load testing but I have little powder and need it for my 6.5.
I am going to cut testing to 3 shots, I was getting the gun too hot. I always had to do that with my Weatherby, shoot 3, let the gun cool and shoot 2 more.

BABore
08-28-2013, 09:43 AM
Varget does seem to like the pressure up there to burn correctly. If you have any IMR 3031, give it a try. I'm using my own version of the 311041 with a load that is just a grain or two shy of book max jacketed data. Accuracy is very acceptable at 100 yards with a scope.

44man
08-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Varget does seem to like the pressure up there to burn correctly. If you have any IMR 3031, give it a try. I'm using my own version of the 311041 with a load that is just a grain or two shy of book max jacketed data. Accuracy is very acceptable at 100 yards with a scope.
I have some left Bruce.
I read what I posted and see my typing again sucks! I guess I should edit.
I am quite happy with 4759 right now but have been shooting the gun to high heat. I put up a bunch of targets and keep shooting one after the other. It has been too hot to keep walking down or sitting to cool a gun. The Marlin has a very tight fore end and band I don't want to pound off. I should relieve it.

BABore
08-28-2013, 12:12 PM
I have some left Bruce.
I read what I posted and see my typing again sucks! I guess I should edit.
I am quite happy with 4759 right now but have been shooting the gun to high heat. I put up a bunch of targets and keep shooting one after the other. It has been too hot to keep walking down or sitting to cool a gun. The Marlin has a very tight fore end and band I don't want to pound off. I should relieve it.

That usually helps. Are you hand holding the forend when benching it. About 75% of my Marlins require a hand between the forend and bag. Some need a grip, some like palmed. Need to experiment when you get a consistent load. I've never had to shoot anything harder than WD 50/50 (22 bhn) to get best accuracy at full velocity. Size to what will fit a fired case for safe expansion and boolit release.

Are you using Felix lube on your boolits? I've never found Felix lube to be accurate in any of my rifles. (No offense Felix) It works fine in most all handguns, but rifles ain't hanguns. Don't pigeon-hole yourself if you want accuracy, experiment.

Larry Gibson
08-28-2013, 01:09 PM
I did not work loads, just took a few. 18 gr of 4759 gave me 1-1/2" at 100. Varget had three high, close and two 4" low in the bull. Looks like I will work with 4759.

That's the almost the same load I use with the same RCBS bullet in my Win M94 carbine, rifle and Contender carbine. I use a dacron filler and get excellent accuracy with a three. Got the mould new and never had a bit of problem with it from day one. Cleaned it with carberator cleaner and dried with a propane torch. Started dropping excellent bullets as soon as it warmed up. Out of range lead + lead +tin ( BHN 12-14) they drop .3105 so I just GC 'em and lube in a .311 H die. Excellent thread, mould and excellent cast bullet.

Larry Gibson

cbrick
08-28-2013, 07:17 PM
Yep, good thread & a great boolit.

Once I tried 18.0 gr 4759 with the RCBS 180, either the FP or SP in my 26 inch Winnie 94 30-30 I stopped testing everything else in that rifle. Air cooled clip-on WW with 2% tin and standard primer, it's an amazing shooter.

18.0 - 18.5 or 19.0 gr 4759 with either of those two boolits in the 308 is as good or better than the in the 30-30.

4759 is about my most used powder in several calibers for the past several years, I buy it by the 8 pounder. Good stuff with boolits.

Jim's experience with RCBS molds mirrors mine with my 20+ RCBS molds. Clean it (I use Denatured alcohol), pre-warm it and start casting. Beyond doubt the best off the shelf mold you can get.

Rick

44man
08-29-2013, 08:36 AM
I haven't worked with the rifle much yet, weather has been hot and very humid and it has been raining on and off all week. I have to cast again today.
I use a .311" die and boolits run .3105" to .311". I used Felix, have some CR to try. I also want to try softer lead just in case I decide to hunt with it. Seems like cheating any more with a rifle!

BABore
08-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Get farther away and shoot left handed if it will make you feel better.:grin: