PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pro 4-20...

BCB
10-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Who uses a Lee Pro 4-20 melter? I presently have a Lee Production Pot 4 (10 pound capacity and 4” of clearance). I purchased it 7 or 8 years ago when I first got into casting bullets. I wasn’t certain if I would pursue the hobby.

Anyhow, this little Lee Pro 4 has melted approximately 400 pounds of wheel weights of which I made them into ingots. The same melter was then used to melt the alloys which I use to cast my bullets. SO, it has earned its keep quite well. It still functions, but rust is eating away the top of the pot.

I really don’t cast enough to purchase the expensive Lyman or RCBS pots, so would the Pro 4-20 melter be the next step up? I am sure it will be plagued with the Lee drips, but I have been able to tolerate that inconvenience as I only cast a few thousand bullets per year—no big production here like many of the readers of this website would be!!!

Any thoughts from users of the Lee Pro 4-20 melter? Thanks…BCB

Patrick L
10-19-2007, 06:28 PM
I have one, and I like it.

My feelings about Lee products vary with the products themselves, but in this case I think its a winner. It melts well, and holds a lot of lead. You will have drip issues, but I've never been particularly bothered by that.

While it is clearly NOT in the same league as the RCBS or Lyman pots, the fact that it costs four to five times less makes it my choice. I mean, the RCBS is not five times the pot, so what do you gain for how much more$$$?

Jim
10-19-2007, 08:32 PM
I also have the Pro IV 20 pounder. It works fine for me and I'm very satisfied with it. As for the drips, I spin the valve stem a dozen turns or so with light pressure and the dripping quits.

eka
10-19-2007, 11:02 PM
I've been using one for about a year or so. I really like it. As for the drips. I get one rarely and when I do, I just spin the valve rod to clean out the gunk as Lee recommends. I also use the old vice-grip trick to add weight to the valve rod. I'd have to say, so far I very happy.

Keith

454PB
10-20-2007, 12:51 AM
The Pro-4-20 is definitely a step up from the older 10 pounders, but the the 10 pounders are useful for smaller boolits and/or batches of boolits. When I'm casing 55 gr. .224 boolits, I really don't need a 20 pound batch.

I have one of the first Lee 10 pound pots built, it has to be 30 years old now. It has melted at least 1000 pounds of alloy over the years and still works just fine. I bought a second one at a gunshow about 25 years ago, removed the valve hardware, and brazed the valve shut to use for dipper casting.

Still, for the small difference in price, I think the Pro-4-20 is a better deal.

GrizzLeeBear
10-20-2007, 08:42 PM
Still, for the small difference in price, I think the Pro-4-20 is a better deal.

Thats exactly what I think. I'm on a tight budget too, so the more expensive pots were out for me. I'm happy with mine. Give the valve stem a few twists every now and then and keep an ingot mold under it to catch the drips and cast lots of bullets. I'm definitely glad I got the 20 pounder instead of the 10. The price leaves more $ for buying molds, too!

IcerUSA
10-20-2007, 08:58 PM
I also have the 4-20 and like it but I took it a step further and add a the 10lb pot piggyback as a feeder for the 20lb pot, this stuff is way too addicting ya know :)

:castmine: so I can :Fire:

Keith

BCB
10-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks all,
That is sort of the way I am thinking. I really don't cast enough to spend the big $$$$'s for the RCBS or the Lyman expensive models. So, I will just put up with a few of the Lee quarks and still get to shoot some cast bullets...BCB

ssn vet
10-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Midsay now has the pro 4-20 on sale for $58.

Bula
10-21-2007, 11:38 PM
the pro 4-20 is definitely worth the $. I just uprgraded from a dipper pot and boy does this speed things up.

Adam10mm
10-23-2007, 01:08 PM
I went from the Lee 10# to the Lee 20#. Makes a difference. Especially with those heavy 45/70 boolits.

BCB
10-25-2007, 05:44 PM
I just received my Lee 20-pounder and things look O.K. with the EXCEPTION of the flow adjustment screw. Does this screw stay in place in the slot on the valve rod? It looks to me as though it could move out of the slot and cause problems? I am going to fire it up and just melt some wheel weights and see if I can adjust the flow.
Anyone with one of these pots have problems with what I just mentioned?...BCB

MT Gianni
10-25-2007, 07:14 PM
Yep it moves. A piece of tie wire helps it to stay in place. Gianni

Crash_Corrigan
10-26-2007, 03:33 AM
I have a Lee 4-20 from1996 and it seeps a bit. I use it to premelt my ingots and use a piece of angle iron to direct the flow to the lower newer Lee 4-20 from which I casrt. Even using a Lee 6 banger and using Bruce B's speed casting I cannot outrun the pots. They are a he## of a value and they get the job done.

TAWILDCATT
10-31-2007, 03:58 PM
I am glad to see the members here realize that most of us dont have the mony to spend on the expensive products and understand the limits and good points of LEE products.I am tired of hearing how good rcbs hornady and dillon are.when in fact they all have good and bad points.Lee gives the novice a chance to fly whith out bankrupting him.:coffee: :Fire: [smilie=1:

hunter64
11-18-2007, 12:36 AM
I was thinking of upgrading to the 20 lb. version also. I have had my 10 pound pot for 10 years now and no problems at all with it just that it is to small. I like to cast like heck in one day and make enough to do me for a while and hate having to wait between batches for the lead to melt. I guess I could also find another cheap used 10 lb. pot and have two running at the same time.

dragonrider
11-18-2007, 12:47 PM
I have two of the 4-10 Lee's and one 4-20, the 10's are plagued by leaks and one is now disfunctional because the spout has separated from the inner liner. But the 20 has no such problems, no leaks. I am very happy with this pot.

Blackhawk Convertable
11-19-2007, 10:48 PM
I just ordered one. Hope it serves me well. I did get the 220v one and not the 110v. I figured that it would heat up and hold temp better with the 220v.

Blackhawk Convertable
11-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Forgot to mention that I plan to run a hot plate beside to keep the ingots hot enough that melt down time is minimal.

DanM
11-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Keith....could you post a photo of your piggyback 10/20 setup?

Bob Jones
11-20-2007, 06:16 PM
I've been using the 4-20 for a few years and have no complaints, it does a great job for me. It will keep up with my casting until I get to the 230 grain 6-bangers. I use small muffin tins for ingots, about 1.5 pounds, and just drop one in every so often and keep the heat cranked up (when casting mass quantities).

I did learn one trick with them. Sometimes when a bit of hard grit gets in the valve it can be hard to get it to quit dripping. Take a small ingot and smack the top of the rod with it (lightly) and it will crush the little piece of grit in the valve and the drips will go away.

deltaenterprizes
11-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Nice to start with

Topper
11-22-2007, 12:02 AM
I had 2 10#, one was a freebee and bit the dust, nozzle rusted out.
So I ordered the 20# and LIKE it.
Use the 10# for pure lead only now.

smkummer
11-24-2007, 10:05 AM
Lee sells a new inner for $8 and it replaces the rusted inside. I did it with mine. I believe if the timer is exposed to the elements it may fail faster than it it was sealed.