PDA

View Full Version : Twilight zone

GOPHER SLAYER
08-24-2013, 04:52 PM
At times I feel like Burgess Merideth from an episode of the Twilight Zone from the 1960's. He played a meek and mild mannered man who loved to read books. The problem was someone was always badgering him for one thing or another, until one day something happened, I can't remember what but everyone was wiped out but him. He was in the library and books were scattered everywhere. When he realized that he was alone he picked up several books and sat down on the steps of the library to read to his hearts content. In the process of gathering the books and setting down he stepped on his glasses and crushed them. There he was surrounded by books and he couldn't read a word. I have a gun safe overflowing with fine single shot rifles and can't shoot them for lack of a range, or at least one within reasonable driving distance. When I was a young man I couldn't afford to indulge my desire to own nice guns although they were not exspensive for the time. In the early 1960's there was not much interest in old single shots no matter how fine they were. Most shooters wanted the latest wham bam magnum. I had all the bills that young people have and three children to raise. We did have plenty of shooting ranges within easy driving distance. Now the reverse has taken place. Bugger

Ithaca Gunner
08-24-2013, 05:41 PM
I know what you mean and remember that episode well. He was a bank teller who snuck into the vault to read, WWIII erupted while he was in there leaving him alone at least in his near by surroundings...

MrWolf
08-24-2013, 05:47 PM
I used to think can't wait till I am older and can enjoy my time and hobbies. Seems someone keeps breaking my glasses..

MT Gianni
08-24-2013, 06:07 PM
If you need a place to store them that is closer to a range let me know.

OeldeWolf
08-24-2013, 06:55 PM
I remember that episode. I also remember thinking that surely there was an optical shop somewhere in the rubble, and he should be able to find something to work. I guess I was a scrounger from way back.

But I do feel for you. All the ranges around here are 45 minutes or so away.

LUBEDUDE
08-24-2013, 07:10 PM
You nailed it Gopher!

That is page Two of the Libs play book, right after cutting off ammo/reloading supplies.

Goatwhiskers
08-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Know what you mean, Gopher. The guys around here are the same way, latest magnum meat pulverizer, 3 shots in a paper plate at a guesstimated 100yd. Only accurate rifles are interesting. I don't have but a couple of fairly "fine" singles, tho I shoot several of the cheaper ones. Got a Handi M158 .22 Hornet that gave me a .163" group and a Martini 30/40AI that'll consistently give less than 1/2" groups. That's why I'm shutting my shop at the end of the year, gonna do what I like rather than work on rusty junk that was Paw-Paw's rifle and they want it fixed up. GW

Ed Barrett
08-25-2013, 01:58 PM
I got ruined when I lived in St. Joseph Missouri, I was 10 minutes away from one range and 15 minutes away from another. Now I can shoot at my range, about 75 yards from the house or drive 18 miles to a public range. There is a range closer, about 5 miles, but it's trap and skeet only.

Don Purcell
08-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Four months to go.

km101
08-25-2013, 07:14 PM
I know how you feel! I could not wait for retirement so I could pursue my hobbies. Now I am retired and on a fixed income. I have the guns, the ammo and the time to reload and shoot if I do it in moderation, but the nearest outdoor range is a public range that is usually crowded and is almost an hour away. There is an indoor range that is closer, but it is only 25 yards, so my handguns get more of a workout than my rifles.

I guess the lesson here is: Be careful what you wish for!

Janoosh
08-25-2013, 07:54 PM
I believe the episode is called "The Bookworm"...and I hear ya about fire arm ranges...

Don Purcell
08-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Even though I live in this **** state of Illinois(Southern at least) I'm fortunate enough to have a 250 yard personal range soon to be extended to 300 yards. If any of you yahoos are ever in the area give a call and we'll make a day of it.

76 WARLOCK
08-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Ed Barrett I want to thank you again for putting me on to the Pigeon hill range, I go there when I am in St Joe.

Harter66
08-26-2013, 12:05 PM
I've got a whole desert to shoot in 5 min out the door. After getting the kids raised Ive found I just don't have enough hours to do it all.

Ed Barrett
08-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Ed Barrett I want to thank you again for putting me on to the Pigeon hill range, I go there when I am in St Joe.

It's a great range, most people don't know there is a shotgun range and an archery range there too. Also a law enforcement range. Before I retired from the DOC that was my main source of brass.

firefly1957
08-26-2013, 07:23 PM
I remember that one he was in the vault when it happened so he was saved .
I retired and bought a isolated place with 20 acres i can shoot day or night when i had coyotes in the front yard i shot one with the 30-06 at 11 PM both neighbors were up watching the news neither heard the shot. Those 190 grain Sierra bench rest bullets are terrible on deer the jacket being to thin but they work great on a coyote! Just today i was experimenting with 45 acp loads and powder coated bullets probably fired 30 shots and never had to drive anywhere.