PDA

View Full Version : I made a cocking piece sight

MBTcustom
08-24-2013, 10:04 AM
I designed this sight for use with a Mauser action. I'm building a special rifle for myself and I really wanted this. Unfortunately, there is nothing available for me to design off of, so I reinvented the wheel just a little bit.
It has click elevation adjustments that should be pretty close to 1/2" @ 100yrds per click. We'll see how it works!

btroj
08-24-2013, 10:29 AM
But it isn't polished or blued.........

Nice work Tim. Very nice.

texassako
08-24-2013, 10:57 AM
I like the idea of using those and would really like to know how it works out. Evers since seeing these: http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=151111&an=0&page=1 , I have wanted to put one on my Mannlicher-Carcano project target rifle.

Dan Cash
08-24-2013, 11:01 AM
I have an old Henry Atkin 1895 Manlicher in .375 Flanged that has a folding cocking piece sight in addition to a 3 leaf express sight. The cocking piece sight works extremly well but mine is only graduated at 1,2 and 3 hundred yards.

Doc Highwall
08-24-2013, 11:15 AM
Tim, just make sure you don't put it in a gun that has a lot of recoil. I read in one of Elmer Keith's books where a woman was shooting uphill and the recoil caused the sight to go into her eye and she lost it.

MBTcustom
08-24-2013, 11:15 AM
But it isn't polished or blued.........

Nice work Tim. Very nice.

Steel doesn't have that look all on its own.
Those parts were polished and flame colored. Should really set off a mauser that is blued, if I do the same trick to certain other parts on the gun for contrast.
It may be a while, but I'll have my photographer shoot pictures of the finished rifle and I'll post them.

LIMPINGJ
08-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Ilove the look of the classic Mauser sporters with the row of leaf sights and a cocking piece sight.

MBTcustom
08-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Tim, just make sure you don't put it in a gun that has a lot of recoil. I read in one of Elmer Keith's books where a woman was shooting uphill and the recoil caused the sight to go into her eye and she lost it.

This is for my rifle, and it will be chambered in 30-06 I'm thinking. You're point is duly noted!

HollowPoint
08-24-2013, 12:40 PM
I love this kind of stuff. It shows the uncommon genius of the common man.

It gives me an idea for a rear peep sight for one of my milsurps. I mounted a scope rail and scope on it and I've kind of wondered what I'd do if something ever went wrong with my scope while in the field. This would be a good back-up sight for such a mishap.

Right now I have the bolt-hole in the butt-stock enlarged on this particular rifle so that I can store the factory sight and small tools to remove and install it.

With your setup, if it were a flip down arrangement I could have my cake and eat it too.

Can you tell me if this type of add-on would affect the lock-time of the firing pin? Just wondering.

HollowPoint

MBTcustom
08-24-2013, 12:52 PM
It would effect lock time, but this is a mauser, and the mass of metal that is moving in the original configuration is already pretty hefty. Besides, it's going to be a hunting gun, not a bench gun, so who cares?
I'm going to put it in and see how it does. As long as it's slightly faster than my flintlock (Notice I said my flint lock. I wouldn't want to put the ignition speed of some of you fellers rock-locks to the test under any circumstances because it sounds like a good way to lose money! LOL!) then I'm a happy camper.
Should be pretty sweet looking. We'll see how it shoots.

W.R.Buchanan
08-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Tim I suspect that this is going to be a bolt action rifle made in the classic form of the rifle makers of the 20's and 30's.

The sight looks nice and I did catch that you flame colored it!

I might add that a friend of mine said the best way to develop a product is to make something you like and then put it out there and see if others like it as well.

Bet others would like these.

All businesses revenue is "cyclic" in nature. IE; it goes up and down on a monthly basis. One of the ways to flatten the sine wave that plots your income is to have products that you manufacture yourself (or farm out) to sell on the side, or Ebay!

Search "Jeep Seat Risers" on Ebay and you'll see one of my products that I have been selling for many years. I make about $1000-1500 per month from this one and it helps during the lean times.

You might give some consideration to this concept. What I try to do is design something and then make prototypes and then maybe 25-50 of them and see how they fly. Then I make drawings and find small local machine shops to manufacture the piece parts. I assemble, package and sell/ship. This allows you to concentrate on your primary pursuit and still be making money during off times. You can also use it for fill in work when things are slack.

Getting a big outfit like Brownells to carry your product insures it's continued success.

Another allotment of my .02.

Randy

MBTcustom
08-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Thanks Randy!
I'll take that into consideration.
This is merely a prototype that I will install on my rifle and see how I like it. If it's the bees knees, then I may very well consider selling them.
Thanks for the input!
BTW, I saw your jeep project. Lookin pretty good there buddy!

nekshot
08-24-2013, 04:53 PM
neat job and I like the application for a mauser. I would be interested in a one of them and the good old word backorder can get you out of jams. Surely Tim you made a mistake on your caliber didn't you, I think you meant 30-35 or 35 whelen as known to us?

W.R.Buchanan
08-24-2013, 07:01 PM
Tim if your striker has little clearance between the OD and the ID of the bolt shroud then the striker won't flop around and the sight will repeat.

I have a Turk Mauser that the striker moves around about 1/16" when you pull the trigger and it wouldn't be a good candidate for this type of sight.

And yes if you looked at the whole project you would definitely see the "attention to detail," and also the personal responsibility of remaking of parts that didn't quite come out right the first time. It has been quite a project.

This project has kept me off of my more complicated gun projects for the last several years. When it is driveable I will get on them.

still a ways to go.

Randy