PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper Than Dirt Tracked Me down..................

KohlerK91
08-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Just got the Cheaper than Dirt Catalog.

I havent been here long and havent bought anything from them or even contacted them in a very, very long time, and that was from a different address.

How did they come up with my name and new address in such short time? Hacking my emails/PM's or someone out there selling info?

Kinda Scary!!!!!!

Skip62
08-23-2013, 07:52 PM
They know someone at the NSA....Oops, hope they didn't hear that.

08-23-2013, 08:16 PM
For sure the NSA and Obama have all our Internet addresses. Nonetheless, but just as scary, some site you visited sold your information. Just this past week, I received a Taurus catalogue. I've never owned a Taurus product, don't plan on ever owning one, and never requested the catalogue.

375RUGER
08-23-2013, 09:51 PM
companies have been buying and selling mailing lists for a very long time. Have you never been on a mailing list before?

Ed Barrett
08-24-2013, 08:45 AM
Back 40 years ago I had two customers that sold lists. One was Bankers Life and the other was Worshowski's (Known as J.C. Whitney everywhere outside Chicago). Bankers life would put ads on every form of media they could and have you fill out a form to get their insurance. They kept this info and would sell lists based on what people you wanted to sell to. Worshowski would check auto registrations and transfers in all the states they could, that way when they sent you a catalog they were sure you had a car. If you bought a Jeep or an old car, they would send you a Jeep or antique car catalog. When they sold a list, it was for a one time use, they insured this by having one address with an unique name and the address of one of their employees. If he got two pieces of mail with that name the lawyers started to work. This is probably more than you wanted to know about mailing lists.

km101
08-24-2013, 12:41 PM
If you use Gunbroker.com you will be on a bunch of mailing lists!

lylejb
08-24-2013, 02:23 PM
maybe you should mark that catalog "return to sender" and tape a brick to it

opos
08-24-2013, 02:35 PM
Just write "deceased....left no forwarding address" on the thing and send it back

TheDoctor
08-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Waste of their money if they ever send me another. Then again, let them waste their money!

Ehaver
08-24-2013, 04:18 PM
If you ever gave your address to a vendor, like sports authority cabellas, or bass pro. You might end up with random outdoors mags. Somehow, I ended up with a wood working catalog, never used it, but neat stuff.

mroliver77
08-24-2013, 04:26 PM
I had a BSA motorcycle some years ago. I got a catalog from a limey company. I called them and asked how they got my name and address. They said they had bought it from somebody that compiled information from the title office.
J

David2011
08-24-2013, 05:25 PM
Several years ago SWMBO ordered a Dillon roller handle from Dillon (after I told her the reloading supply store nearby had them on the shelf). It was the only firearm related item she has ever ordered from anywhere as there were several good gun stores nearby and ordering wan't necessary. She was bombarded by firearm related direct mail within weeks. I called Dillon and expressed my displeasure for selling our info. They must have taken the complaint seriously because firearm related mail with her name on it quit coming pretty quickly.

David

376Steyr
08-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Yep, mailing lists. You can get all sorts of interesting catalogs that way. Strangest I ever got was from a company that was convinced I wanted to spend thousands of dollars to make home-made sausage. Nothing against home-made sausage, it was just the optimism that I would plunk down that much money on a whim that amused me.

wiljen
08-24-2013, 05:42 PM
I can tell you the staff here doesnt even ask for a street address so it isnt us that is betraying anyone's trust.

Bad Water Bill
08-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Some of those folks sell names for a loooong time.

My wife died in 1980. A couple months ago I got a letter saying "important message open immediately"

I marked the envelope "return to sender. Addressee died over 30 years ago. Get your money back.

There is big money in selling names.

MtGun44
08-24-2013, 11:23 PM
Interesting. I buy from CTD whenever they have something I need at a
good price. This isn't too often, but I got a case of XM193 on strippers from
them for a really decent price now (about 10% high then, but they HAD
it) JUST the day before TSHTF after the last election cycle.

I can't see the animosity that some have.

Bill

Love Life
08-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Let them send me all the free catalogs they want. Free stuff to read while in the bathroom, free packing material, and free ballistic testing material.

I'm a glass half full kind of guy. A whole bunch of glass half empty folks running around...

waksupi
08-24-2013, 11:33 PM
The State of Montana sells it's vehicle registration list to various advertisers. Businesses do it, too.

opos
08-24-2013, 11:39 PM
We really got a shock a few years ago...My wife is a cancer survivor and my Father died of cancer so we wanted to support the American Cancer Foundation and began to send checks...we were getting letters asking for money from all over the Country...nursing homes, private hospitals and rest homes, etc etc....it went on and on....I have a friend with the Cancer Foundation and asked if he mailing lists were sold...she said no...then she said she'd check and then she said they had recently started to sell the lists...I asked if we could donate anonymously and not be on the list and she said no....so we don't donate any more....we have sent money orders to the Foundation bu even that is not to our liking...

km101
08-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Interesting. I buy from CTD whenever they have something I need at a
good price. This isn't too often, but I got a case of XM193 on strippers from
them for a really decent price now (about 10% high then, but they HAD
it) JUST the day before TSHTF after the last election cycle.

I can't see the animosity that some have.

Bill

I think it has to do with the 1,000% price increases that they had when things got scarce. That tends to create a little animosity. At least it did for me.

Lance Boyle
08-25-2013, 10:34 PM
My step mother has a cousin who was disabled in VN so she likes to send a donation to the DAV for all the stuff they used to help with. She gets 20 solicitations a week for money from churches, hospitals, medical foundations etc because DAV sold her name.

Gliden07
08-25-2013, 10:45 PM
Waste of their money if they ever send me another. Then again, let them waste their money!

I hear there catalogs are good for Paper Patching!! :kidding: