PDA

View Full Version : Mold vs Mould

Rattlesnake Charlie
08-23-2013, 06:46 PM
I finally did some research, and found the following online via the Oxford Dictionary. Them thar English have been setting the rules for ever on the somewhat loosely defined "English Language". Now, they finally help clarify our quandary.

"Remember that mould and the related word mouldy are spelled with a u after the o (the spellings mold and moldy are American)."
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/mould

I'm proud to be an American.

Tatume
08-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Hi Honcho,

I made the same discovery after ordering a mould from a British gent. When I deal with him in the future I will order another mould, but when it gets to this continent it becomes a mold and will thereafter be so called.

Take care, Tom

MtGun44
08-23-2013, 07:12 PM
Yes, this has been my impression, outdated spelling in American English, but the Brits still have "behaviour" and "colour",
too.

Bill

Cosmiceyes
08-23-2013, 07:28 PM
So now a mold is a cast boolit mold,and a mould is what you find in a "cup 'o tea"! :)'s

Shuz
08-23-2013, 07:31 PM
My wifey has allergies and suffers from various kinds of molds, like aspergilla's, hormadendrum, and alternaria.
I'm a cast boolit addict and I suffer from various kinds of moulds too.....Lee, Lyman, and NEI!!

Hamish
08-23-2013, 07:31 PM
"Mould" denotes the appliance used to produce. "Mold" denotes what is produced. Hence, a cast boolit is a "mold". It only matters if it does,,,,,not a big deal,,,,,

This is one of those "zombie threads" that just keep coming back, again,and again, and again,,,,,,,,

Cosmiceyes
08-23-2013, 07:41 PM
"Mould" denotes the appliance used to produce. "Mold" denotes what is produced. Hence, a cast boolit is a "mold". It only matters if it does,,,,,not a big deal,,,,,

This is one of those "zombie threads" that just keep coming back, again,and again, and again,,,,,,,,

Not by the dictionary!

:Main entry : mould:

chiefly British variant of mold....
and no other definition period.

youngda9
08-23-2013, 08:08 PM
Easier pronounced with the butter tooth.

Doc Highwall
08-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Mold grows in dark damp places, and a mould is what I cast boolits with.

BattleRife
08-23-2013, 08:23 PM
I made the same discovery after ordering a mould from a British gent. When I deal with him in the future I will order another mould, but when it gets to this continent it becomes a mold and will thereafter be so called.

...unless it migrates north over the border, wherein it will become again a mould, the fact that it remains on this continent notwithstanding.

08-23-2013, 08:24 PM
Lyman and RCBS use mould, which makes it good enough for me.

I've been reading "Roughing It" by Mark Twain (free Kindle book) and he used mould.

BruceB
08-23-2013, 08:29 PM
I suggest y'all go look at a Lyman box.... right there, before God and the public..... "MOULD"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

felix
08-23-2013, 08:33 PM
Bruce, so is 'there' versus 'their', and those other pairs so often used backwards on this board. So, nothing new. ... felix

Ben
08-23-2013, 08:44 PM
I guess all this implies that the people at Lee precision don't know a thing about spelling ? ? ? ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Capture-4.jpg

RobS
08-23-2013, 08:45 PM
Who cares really.............read the word mold or mould and everyone here on this board can still convey it's what we use to create boolits or for heavens sake bullets if you are not a cast boolit forum member.

btroj
08-23-2013, 08:45 PM
I am a die hard mould man myself. Oddly, my moulds are somewhat discolored but never discoloured.

Jack Stanley
08-23-2013, 08:54 PM
Ah one people separated by a common language ........ or something like that . Meters 'maters and metres right along with the high caliber of folks here or is is calibre , collimation , collater ...... Give 'em an inch and they'll take a hectacre .

I think it's time for some ice cream .

Jack

Harter66
08-23-2013, 09:01 PM
Is molde ok too then.

I had always excepted that moulds were forms generally hollow cavities. Molds make green bread and penecillian.

Oh well gun metal blue is still my favourite coloure.

Mike W1
08-23-2013, 09:14 PM
I prefer mould myself but mold doesn't bother me. What does get my goat is incorrect uses of words such as site or sight. They're, their, there. And so on. Thought I'd been treated to most of the lousy grammar (and mind you mines NOT perfect) until I noticed a 4th Addition of the Lyman Casting manual and a recent thread about Patients paying off. Thought maybe a Doctor finally collected his fee on that one! Course since you commonly see somebody casted a bullet on here I remembered that recently I readed a book. Typos and even mispelled words are doable (?) but some of this stuff simply amazes me.

Hamish
08-23-2013, 09:15 PM
Not by the dictionary!

:Main entry : mould:

chiefly British variant of mold....
and no other definition period.

:roll:There's a big 'ol world out there outside of freedictionary.com, some things are picked up whilst experiencing them,,,,,,,,said it wasn't a big deal,,,,,,,,reminds me of the crusty old Lead Man (rhymes with deed) on the Inland Waterway's who would beller "We ain't got no *ing ROPES on the river, we got LINES!".

[/QUOTE]and no other definition period.[/QUOTE]

Really?

Hamish
08-23-2013, 09:24 PM
:bigsmyl2:The funny thing about words is their malleability over the temporal tides,,,,,,,I have heard it said that in the time of Shakespeare the average vocabulary was in the neighborhood of 4500 words,,,,,,,,,,,,nowadays they say it is in area of 1500,,,,,,,,

Words are important, but if you let someones linguistic level get in the way of what they are saying, it can be easy to miss something you might want to hear,,,,,,,,,,,,

mikeym1a
08-23-2013, 09:55 PM

I occasionally find 'mold' growing on/in unmarked containers in the back of the fridge. My 'moulds' are used to cast my boolits! :drinks:

USAFrox
08-23-2013, 10:32 PM
Seems like I'm one of the only sane people on this forum, because I speak American. They're MOLDS! :wink:

Tatume
08-24-2013, 07:22 AM
...unless it migrates north over the border, wherein it will become again a mould, the fact that it remains on this continent notwithstanding.

Good point, thanks.

Sensai
08-24-2013, 07:37 AM
If you are writing to me, please use mold or mould at your pleasure. I am smart enough to determine what you're writing about by the context in which the word is used. Apparently this is a rare gift!

Virginia John
08-24-2013, 09:47 AM
The Canadians also spell it mould.

RobS
08-24-2013, 10:03 AM
if you are writing to me, please use mold or mould at your pleasure. I am smart enough to determine what you're writing about by the context in which the word is used. Apparently this is a rare gift!

yep......

ballistim
08-24-2013, 10:37 AM
I grew up next to Ontario and travelled to Canada to play hockey on weekends as a youth, so I guess I'm used to slight differences in spelling and accept both. You say "colour" & I say "color", makes no difference to me.

Texantothecore
08-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Mould is English. They also mispronounce aluminum.

USAFrox
08-24-2013, 01:06 PM
That's right! Mould is England English, and back in the late 1700's we fought a war not to have to be subject to the tyranny of England's horrible spelling (among other things...)!!! All true 'Mercans call 'em molds! ;) :kidding:

303Guy
08-24-2013, 04:16 PM
I'd be quite happy if a consensus could be reached and a mould was a for making boolits and mold was for making bread green (or the other way round). It's like nite and night.

We should have a poll to see what the majority of CastBoolit members prefer.

dudel
08-24-2013, 04:34 PM
Then maybe the process of using moulds to make boolits should be called moulding? :bigsmyl2:

geargnasher
08-24-2013, 09:40 PM
Mould is English. They also mispronounce aluminum.

Not really. The English pronounce "Aluminium" exactly the way it is spelled, they simply use a different spelling. Look up how the word was coined and came into use for a particularly interesting read on how Americans have been screwing up the English language for over 200 years and making it official. That's ok, I mispronounce and misspell "Tejas" as I'm sure most of us here do, so the English needn't feel alone in the American mutilation of languages.

Gear

Mal Paso
08-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Moold because we cast Boolits.

Mal Paso
08-25-2013, 12:32 PM
I guess all this implies that the people at Lee precision don't know a thing about spelling ? ? ? ?

You can't use Lee as a reference. They left the U out to save money.

USAFrox
08-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Not really. The English pronounce "Aluminium" exactly the way it is spelled, they simply use a different spelling. Look up how the word was coined and came into use for a particularly interesting read on how Americans have been screwing up the English language for over 200 years and making it official. That's ok, I mispronounce and misspell "Tejas" as I'm sure most of us here do, so the English needn't feel alone in the American mutilation of languages.

Gear

You, a Texan, mispronounce Tejas?! Blasphemy! :kidding:

I'm actually less than two hours up the road from you. But at least I know how to pronounce Tejas. ;)

303Guy
08-25-2013, 07:18 PM
The English language is evolving on both sides of the Atlantic. I grew up on inflammable and non-inflammable. Now it's flammable and non-flammable and inflamed means red and swollen. And swollen is mispronounced. It has two 'l's and is pronounced like it has one. So the English aren't right either. But because I chat to Americans the most, I find myself adopting American spelling.

gwpercle
08-25-2013, 07:40 PM
I find it funny that Lyman calls them "moulds" and Lee calls them "molds", never noticed.

I was told that boolits are cast with a mould and the green growing stuff was mold. But if you go on e-bay you see both spellings. I'm sticking with mould cause that was what I was taught in school.

Now how do you pronounce that planet Uranus......They way that would get a bunch of school children laughing ...a lot...or the way your elementry school teacher taught you ?

Gary

GLL
08-25-2013, 07:53 PM

Doc got it right ! Simple ! :)

Jerry

fatelk
08-26-2013, 01:55 AM
This is a common misconception, but not really correct.

http://grammarist.com/spelling/mold-mould/
"American English has no mould, and British English has no mold. In other words, the word referring to (1) the various funguses that grow on organic matter or (2) a frame for shaping something is spelled the same in both uses, and the spelling depends on the variety of English."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences# Miscellaneous_spelling_differences
Mould - Mold In all senses of the word. Both spellings have been used since the sixteenth century.[154] In Canada, both words have wide currency.[155] When speaking of the noun describing a form for casting a shape, the US will also use the "mould" spelling, but defaults to "mold" when referring to the fruiting bodies of tiny fungi. In New Zealand, "mold" is the spelling adopted when describing a form for casting a shape while "mould" is used when referring to a fungus

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/27542/mold-vs-mould
"mold" is the US spelling, "mould" is the British English spelling. No other difference.

The authorities on the subject look nearly unanimous, to me, but it also looks like you can use either one however you want and not really be incorrect. Kind of like "clip" vs. "magazine", right? :)

prs
08-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Bruce, so is 'there' versus 'their', and those other pairs so often used backwards on this board. So, nothing new. ... felix
Hey! Jest wut ar'ya try'n t' say thar?

prs

prs
08-26-2013, 10:27 AM
My plows have mould boards. My bread gets moldy. My Lyman moulds seem to work better than other folk's newer Lyman moulds. My Lee molds work fine too, at least the 6 cavity ones do.

prs

blackthorn
08-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Fatelk is correct! Either spelling is (dictionary) acceptable. That said, I personelly use "Mold" to describe the green/gre(a)y stuff that forms on cheeze etc.

Rattlesnake Charlie
08-26-2013, 11:39 AM
I love stirring the pot.

fatelk
08-26-2013, 12:43 PM
I love stirring the pot.

I tried, with my "clip vs. magazine" comment, but I guess you all are too smart to take that bait. :bigsmyl2:

Mal Paso
08-26-2013, 06:33 PM
'M old, with or without U.

303Guy
08-26-2013, 06:42 PM
If Americans can use "mould" for casting boolits and "mold" for fungus then so can I. Maybe in a few generations it will become official. From now on it'll be 'mould' for me.

Gtek
08-26-2013, 09:06 PM
It appears it has been a long hot summer, type in castbullets and see what you get. We now return you to your regular programming. Gtek

Lights
08-26-2013, 09:25 PM
I am a Moldmaker and have been one for over 25years. I build plastic injection and MIM molds. I have NEVER been called a Mouldmaker and I have NEVER built a mould.

fatelk
08-26-2013, 09:28 PM
Hold on 303Guy, I just saw your location. It appears (according to wikipedia) that while it's at least somewhat acceptable to do as you say here in the U.S., the exact opposite appears to be the case in New Zealand. Careful not to offend any of your fellow Kiwis by importing American grammatical tendencies! :)

When speaking of the noun describing a form for casting a shape, the US will also use the "mould" spelling, but defaults to "mold" when referring to the fruiting bodies of tiny fungi. In New Zealand, "mold" is the spelling adopted when describing a form for casting a shape while "mould" is used when referring to a fungus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences# Miscellaneous_spelling_differences