PDA

View Full Version : mold question 38 wadcutter??

mainiac
08-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Does tom @ accurate molds,,make a 148 wadcutter copy of the H&G #50?

dubber123
08-23-2013, 07:37 PM
I can't answer your specific question, but I assume you are still working with your S&W m14. It might be worth trying a few different wadcutters, not that any will likely do better than the H&G, but rather that most will do just as good. I tried many designs when looking for 50 yd. accuracy in my m14, including the H&G, RCBS, numerous Lyman designs, and found they all offered similar accuracy. I was delighted to find the LEE standard lube design shoots just as well. I lucked into a 6 cavity that throws 6 perfectly round .358" boolits. Another thing I found during testing was BRP's 150 RF outshot all of the wadcutter designs handily.

williamwaco
08-23-2013, 08:33 PM
i can't answer your specific question, but i assume you are still working with your s&w m14. It might be worth trying a few different wadcutters, not that any will likely do better than the h&g, but rather that most will do just as good. I tried many designs when looking for 50 yd. Accuracy in my m14, including the h&g, rcbs, numerous lyman designs, and found they all offered similar accuracy. i was delighted to find the lee standard lube design shoots just as well. i lucked into a 6 cavity that throws 6 perfectly round .358" boolits. Another thing i found during testing was brp's 150 rf outshot all of the wadcutter designs handily.

ditto.

mainiac
08-23-2013, 09:12 PM
i guess ill check into this lee mold,,thanks..

Ive been shooting the 358091,,and it shoots scary accurate,but it gives me fits with sticking boolits.
And its a bevel base,,hate bevel base....The boolits get stuck by the bevel feature built into the mold.Ive thought about having it machined into a square base,or buy something else....

GLL
08-23-2013, 11:12 PM
Send Tom a couple of the H & G # 50 bullets and he will draw up an exact copy for you or modify it to your personal specs !

Jerry

mainiac
08-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Send Tom a couple of the H & G # 50 bullets and he will draw up an exact copy for you or modify it to your personal specs !

Jerry
Dont have any of the #50,s here.Ive never shot them,but have read alot about how they used to be a favorite.Im in the market for a new mold,and am just studying the situation.....

I have a new to me model 14, that is a superb shooter,it deserves a killer accurate mold to feed it...

The #50 isnt a bevel base is it??

dubber123
08-24-2013, 07:09 PM
Nope, H&G #50 is flat base, at least my copy is. The Lyman you are using used to be a favorite, and my copies are all flat base, it's odd that yours has a bevel base. As I mentioned, once past 25 yards, I found the wadcutters lacking compared to other designs. Not bad at 50, but certainly beatable.

rintinglen
08-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Actually, the H&G came both ways, there are #50's, and 50 BB's. I have a 4 cavity Flatbase which I have shot a fair few thousand of, it works better, (though in fairness, is no more accurate,) than the 358-495 I had. The boolits tend to stick more in the Lyman mold, whereas they more or less rain out of the H&G. Either should shoot under 2 MOA from your S&W.

Mohillbilly
08-25-2013, 02:15 PM
bevel base blocks are for speed of loading while at the press , in case of your going to load 14,000 and have a hard time getting them started into the case .

HARRYMPOPE
08-26-2013, 01:32 AM
I have a HG#50 2 cavity FB somewhere in the shop if you are interested.