PDA

View Full Version : First bottom pour pot

Desertbuck
08-23-2013, 03:51 PM
How come I didn't get one years ago I produced twice as much in half the time, even spending a little time for a learning curve I produced this much. I was thinking I would need a bigger one but this little lee 10 pound pot is making all the boolits I could ask for. I absolutely loved it melts the lead very fast with very little smoke. And I can't believe how easy it is to pour cleanly and uniformly I love Lee products. And that kitty litter trick that you guys talk of makes it even easier to keep the alloy clean without flexing.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/24/enage5yr.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/24/7uvana3e.jpg

USAFrox
08-23-2013, 04:38 PM
I LOVE my Lee bottom-pour caster. I don't understand all the people who crow about how great ladle casting is. Seems to me to be much faster using my bottom-pour. Easier, too. Dunno. Maybe someone can enlighten me on why they think bottom pour is so bad, but until then, I love it!

aspangler
08-23-2013, 04:58 PM
I use ladle casting for small runs and my old Herters bottom pour for thse all afternoon runs with hundreds of bullets.

USAFrox
08-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Is it a time thing, where it's quicker to ladle for a real small run, rather than pulling out and warming up the bottom pour? If so, I'm not sure how that could be, because either way you have to heat up a pot. I guess I just don't get the ladle thing.

mold maker
08-23-2013, 07:00 PM
I think a lot of it is determined by what you started with, and the success you had. Those who started with the ladle seem to stick by it.
I started with a Saeco Bottom pour, and still use it along with several others. There are several molds that I get better success with a ladle, but this is usually only tried after trouble with the bottom pour.

glockky
08-23-2013, 09:34 PM
I am not familiar with the kitty litter trick could someone fill me in?

el34
08-23-2013, 09:53 PM
I am not familiar with the kitty litter trick could someone fill me in?

Same thing as fluxing but you just let it stay there, covering the surface of the lead. It produces an oxygen barrier to help prevent tin oxidation. I use pine shavings or sawdust, it returns tin oxide back into tin (sort of) which then gets stirred back into the alloy. Pine shavings (small animal bedding litter from WM) do an excellent job.

BACKTOSHOOTING
08-23-2013, 11:23 PM
Now you need to get a PID unit and you'll get even more consistant cast

el34
08-23-2013, 11:28 PM
Now you need to get a PID unit and you'll get even more consistant cast

Feelin' kinda cocky eh? Now that you got yours working and all...
j/k.

BACKTOSHOOTING
08-24-2013, 12:57 AM
Feelin' kinda cocky eh? Now that you got yours working and all...
j/k.No not at all, [smilie=1: Just an educated observation