PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Lube

drhall762
08-22-2013, 01:16 PM
I know this is nothing new especially on this forum however, it is a first time try for me. I mixed up some 5/4 Beeswax/EVOO this morning. Simple as all get out. Will try it out this weekend if the rain holds off. Feels good and hopefully will work. I only posted it here because BP ML is about all I shoot anymore.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-22-2013, 01:52 PM
that should work , if you pick a fat with a higher melting temp you can use less of the expensive bees wax

I use rendered deer tallow in a 3 parts tallow to 1 part bees wax to get the consistency i like , but deer it is probably one of the highest melting temp fats

rodwha
08-22-2013, 01:58 PM
What is EVOO?

I've been using Gatofeo's #1 lube for wads and pistol bullets.

w5pv
08-22-2013, 02:23 PM
I use Ed's Red and love it,not as good as vaseline for door knobs.

Junior1942
08-22-2013, 02:50 PM
EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil?????

drhall762
08-22-2013, 02:57 PM
EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Yes indeed.

rodwha
08-22-2013, 03:02 PM
The Mrs got after me when she noticed me perusing the cooking oils, olive oil in hand. "What are you doing with that?" With a big grin I turned and replied, "Gonna shoot it out of my rifle!" To which she replied, "Oh no you aren't!" That's when she handed me the grape seed oil. It's all I've used so far for patch lube.

waksupi
08-22-2013, 03:25 PM
I know this is nothing new especially on this forum however, it is a first time try for me. I mixed up some 5/4 Beeswax/EVOO this morning. Simple as all get out. Will try it out this weekend if the rain holds off. Feels good and hopefully will work. I only posted it here because BP ML is about all I shoot anymore.

My God man, do you realize what this means? You've invented Bore Butter! :wink:

Fly
08-22-2013, 03:42 PM
My why did I not think of that (wink)
Fly

drhall762
08-22-2013, 04:01 PM
Yuck it up.

dondiego
08-22-2013, 05:06 PM
It may be bore butter, but it is YOUR bore butter. Now go out and invent moose milk! I nearly lost an arm trying to milk a moose once......stupid. I should have read more of these threads!

Fly
08-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Hey bud we have all done that as you.Thats why we messing with you.Muzzleloaders
all think alike.We like to try things, that you can't with modern fire arms.But no matter
what we do some one has done it before.And more with lubes than anything I know.

Have fun Fly

drhall762
08-22-2013, 11:15 PM
Oh I get it. That was why I said it was a first for me. I just started getting serious about BL again. Trying my hand at making and mixing it all, including the BP and the priming mixture. Going to try to soak my first wads tomorrow and see how well they soak it up. I PP a lot of my stuff and like to put a lubed wad under the bullet and on top of the powder card. Its kind of a British thing I picked up but seems to work well.

I don't care what dondiego says, I am not milking a Flipping MOOSE.

waksupi
08-22-2013, 11:18 PM
Flipping a moose may be difficult, but it would make things more convenient!

Boerrancher
08-23-2013, 12:02 AM
I even rendered some squirrel fat once to try it as a lube. Didn't work so well and the wife got mad because I used one of her good pots and stunk up the house.

Best wishes

Joe

Hellgate
08-23-2013, 12:51 AM
I do my rendering when the wife is out of town. Deer tallow & beeswax 50/50 makes a fine firm BP & smokeless lube.

10 ga
08-23-2013, 04:17 AM
I do my rendering when the wife is out of town. Deer tallow & beeswax 50/50 makes a fine firm BP & smokeless lube.

Dittos, "" on that.
Winter formuls I add a bit of peanut or grapeseed oil to soften. so it's 50-50-50 that tallow/beeswax will get hard as a rock in cold weather.

Fly
08-23-2013, 10:43 AM
I love to read lube recipes, for they go on for ever.But it is fun to read.

Fly

Hellgate
08-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Fly,
It's sorta like BP cleaner/solvent formulas too. They all work to varying degrees. It's like my adage for medical situations: if there are a multitude of cures or treatments for a disease/medical condition it means one of two extremes, either the condition will get better no matter what you use (common cold: tons of "cures/remedies") OR no matter what you use it isn't going to get better (toenail fungus/tons of "cures/remedies" but doesn't go away). Thankfully BP lubes and cleaners are in the former category.

Fly
08-23-2013, 04:39 PM
Great Points buddy!

Fly

supertodd
08-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Just remember not to try to milk the moose that have antlers haha

drhall762
08-23-2013, 07:26 PM
Now on a serious note, it is the ratio of the wax and oil that changes as temperature changes, true? In other words, a little more EXVO as the temp drops and maybe a little less in the hot Texas summer?

Fly
08-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Yep! you got it.
Fly

double8
08-24-2013, 02:51 PM
I started messing around with Marvel Mystery Oil years ago.
I precut round patches using a couple of large washers the size of a cut patch, and clamped a few folds of ticking between them. Cut around the washers with a sharp knife...nice round patches the correct size. Put 'em in a jar and poured just enuff MMO in to get them all damp, not wringing out wet.
Works great for me and my 1972 Zoli Zouave and round balls.
Much better than chewing on an old pair of levis for patching. :mrgreen:

nanuk
08-26-2013, 12:06 PM
It may be bore butter, but it is YOUR bore butter. Now go out and invent moose milk! I nearly lost an arm trying to milk a moose once......stupid. I should have read more of these threads!

just make sure it don't have horns next time....

ballistim
08-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Don't try to milk a moose with only one teat! ;-)

Eljay
09-04-2013, 04:32 PM
Beeswax and mutton tallow is another classic mix, but the olive oil smells better!

It's handy to have something along those lines around. Both seem to be really good at protecting bores from moisture, and I use the same stuff to lube black powder boolits. I just put 1/4 cup each in a little bowl, nuke in the microwave until it's melted, and once it cools enough to just start to solidify up I keep stirring until it's solid. Super easy.

Lead Fred
09-05-2013, 10:37 PM
Reprinted from the Muzzleloaders Forums
Everything has been tired before,
This is what works
__________________________________________________ _______________
Stumpy's Moose Juice

A general purpose blackpowder solvent and liquid patch lube. Shake well before usin

Castor Oil 3 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.
Witch Hazel 4 oz.
Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) 8 oz.
Water (non-chlorinated) 16 oz.

I dip my patching in this twice and let it dry laid flat on wax paper in between. Makes a semi-dry patch material that's easy to carry & use. If you don't mind carrying a little bottle it's a GREAT liquid lube as is.

Stumpy's Moose Snot

A premium multi-shot between wiping (10+) patch lube stable over a wide temperature range.

SPECIFICALLY designed for use of patched round balls in a loading block

Beeswax 2 oz.
Castor Oil 8 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.

Heat beeswax in a soup can set a pot of water. ( A double-boiler. I keep my beeswax in a one pound coffee can and measure out what I need by melting it and pouring it into measuring cups). Add just enough water so the inner can does not begin to float (should be just short of the lube level in the can). Heat the water to a low boil. In a separate can, add the castor oil and Murphy's oil soap (cold). Once the beeswax is melted, swap the castor oil can in the pot of water for the beeswax. Add the beeswax to the oils. It will clump up. Stir with an ice tea spoon as the mixture heats up. When it fully melts there will be a scum that floats to the top and just won't mix in. Be patient. DO NOT COOK THE MIXTURE. Once the solids are dissolved there is no need to heat further. Skim the scum off. Remove the mix from the heat and wipe the water off the outside (so it won't drip into the container when you pour it out). FINAL TOP SECRET STEP: Add a teaspoon of Murphy's Oil Soap and stir vigorously. This last step makes the lube frothy and smooth - really adds to the appearance; though it doesn't seem to matter to the function of the lube. Clamp the can in the jaws of a vice-grip pliers and pour into the waiting tins. Allow to cool a half hour.

IROCZ
09-06-2013, 12:44 AM
Dumb question, could pork fat be rendered into tallow? We buy a whole pig every year and they always include the fat. We have used it to grind in with the deer sausage. Could it be used as BP lube for conicals? What do you do to render it? just cook it down? Thanks.

GunSlingerNM
09-06-2013, 03:10 AM
You can use any animal fat. I use canola oil only cuz it cheap compared to olive oil and prefer not to use animal fat because it goes rancid and stinks.

Junior1942
09-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Dumb question, could pork fat be rendered into tallow? We buy a whole pig every year and they always include the fat. We have used it to grind in with the deer sausage. Could it be used as BP lube for conicals? What do you do to render it? just cook it down? Thanks.Yep, just cook it down. To a shooter, the pure lard derived from that fat is more valuable than the rest of the hog. Pure, rendered down hog lard is the main ingredient of my "Junior Lube" which I sell a lot of and which bunches of guys make with the instructions on my web site. The recipe is: exactly 3 fluid ozs of melted lard; exactly 400 grs of solid beeswax; exactly 100 grs of Alox solid bullet lube.

Do NOT use factory-made lard sold in supermarkets. It contains preservatives, including citric acid!

You can use any animal fat. I use canola oil only cuz it cheap compared to olive oil and prefer not to use animal fat because it goes rancid and stinks.The rancid and the smell are due to bacteria. Nuke it for one minute and kill the bacteria and the smell. Also when you're not using the lube, keep it in the refrigerator.