PDA

View Full Version : High praise for a Lee Roundball Mold

Maven
08-22-2013, 11:00 AM
A few weeks ago I purchased a NIB Lee .535" single cav. RB mold at a very attractive price. Why? Because I'd read that suitably patched, that diameter RB was wonderfully accurate in Thompson Center .56cal. Renegade Smoothbores. As I have such a gun, I decided to experiment with the .535" RB. The mold I received is of the old design and needed very little "Leementing" before I degreased, lubed (alignment pin & fins; sprue plate bottom & hinge bolt), and yes, smoked it with wooden matches. I'm happy to say it cast beautifully, if a tad large: .5365", which isn't a problem in the Renegade's .560" bore. Weight variation was <1gr. too, averaging 229grs., which is quite close to the Beartooth Bullets calculator's finding: http://www.beartoothbullets.com/rescources/calculators/php/roundball.htm?v1=.495&v2=2876.1

As for 25 yd. accuracy using a .024" denim patch, let's just say that it needs further testing. The mold is a keeper and may see additional service in my Isaac Haines .54cal. as its bore enlarges slightly with use.

PS Paul
08-22-2013, 12:56 PM
I recall reading a piece from Richard Lee (maybe in their reloading manual?) where he tells us they first bore a hole close to the diameter, then use MASSIVE pressure to crush the aluminum into the final diameter of the ball. Seemed pretty clever.....

TXGunNut
08-22-2013, 11:10 PM
I have a couple of six-banger RB moulds, pretty impressed with them. A six-banger is overkill for a c&b revolver and a front-stuffer but they free up my casting time for more tedious casting chores.