PDA

View Full Version : Fresh elk heart

Idaho Mule
08-21-2013, 11:56 PM
This works the same for deer or elk, or anything else I suppose. When I hunt I always carry a small, light canvas bag to put the heart in when removed from the animal. The canvas bag can leak a little but it lets it breath, unlike plastic. Upon arrival at home I rinse the heart quite well under cool water, being sure to pump and massage it to remove all the blood and clots. I then put it in a dish of cool, lightly salted water and refrigerate. It can stay in the fridge for at least overnight, or a couple days. When ready, remove it from the salt water and rinse thoroughly. Then slice into about 3/4" slices. Drag the slices thru a bowl of whisked up eggs, and then coat it with crushed breadcrumbs. We also use crushed saltine crackers, Ritz crackers, or Goldfish crackers, whatever we have. Drop these coated slices into a medium/hot fry pan, lightly oiled, and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes per side and then ENJOY!! Not very technical, but it works for us. JW

gbrown
08-22-2013, 10:06 AM
Never tried heart cooked like that, sounds good, though. As a kid, my dad would get beef hearts, usually 2 at a time, and my mom would roast or bake them, stuffed with dressing. She would cook them low and slow, basically all day long. Pretty good as I remember. I have saved the hearts of deer I killed and ground them up into chili. Complaints about "too chewy". I don't remember, but I probably cooked the meat like regular ground venison instead of low and slow. Most people who like processed meats would be surprised where pork and beef hearts end up. "ALL BEEF", it says on the package. LOL

Gliden07
08-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Theres an Asian restaurant here once or twice a year they have a Deer Heart and Liver game supper, Its to raise money for one of the local Sportsmen's clubs in my area. It is one of the best Dinners to get tickets for!! They serve rice and Asian style vegetables with it. We have always managed to get tickets for it. I think everyone is afraid to eat it!! LOL!!

gbrown
08-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Like I said, if people only knew what they were getting in the processed meats, or for that matter the chicken nuggets, fake rib sandwiches or their burgers from these Fast Food palaces. Compared to that mess, heart and liver look pretty nutritional. Any organ meat is high in chlorestoral, but once in a while? Don't think it hurts a bit. I still have an order of Chicken Express gizzards and fries about every 2 or 3 months. Heart and liver from a wild animal--sounds yummy to me. My dad had it until he died, but then again, he only made it to 85.

Gliden07
08-22-2013, 10:17 PM
I still have an order of Chicken Express gizzards and fries about every 2 or 3 months.

My Brother lives in Ft Wayne IN theres a place we always go to out there when I visit for deep fried chicken gizzards and homemade onion rings!! Place has been there since 1837!! Its called Nine Mile, the story I was told is it was called that because its 9 miles from the court house in downtown Ft Wayne!! Great place if your out that way!

MaryB
08-23-2013, 12:23 AM
Love fried chicken and turkey hearts, not a big gizzard fan, way to chewy

preparehandbook
08-23-2013, 12:53 AM
I like eating heart, but by the time I take out the chunks of rib and all the jacket fragments the raggedy bloodshot mess that remains never seems very appetizing.

kodiak1
08-23-2013, 09:02 PM
Bar-B-Qued Heart........ Put it on a spit and turn that bad boy over hot coals.

Ken.

tenncanshooter
08-28-2013, 10:21 PM
This works the same for deer or elk, or anything else I suppose. When I hunt I always carry a small, light canvas bag to put the heart in when removed from the animal. The canvas bag can leak a little but it lets it breath, unlike plastic. Upon arrival at home I rinse the heart quite well under cool water, being sure to pump and massage it to remove all the blood and clots. I then put it in a dish of cool, lightly salted water and refrigerate. It can stay in the fridge for at least overnight, or a couple days. When ready, remove it from the salt water and rinse thoroughly. Then slice into about 3/4" slices. Drag the slices thru a bowl of whisked up eggs, and then coat it with crushed breadcrumbs. We also use crushed saltine crackers, Ritz crackers, or Goldfish crackers, whatever we have. Drop these coated slices into a medium/hot fry pan, lightly oiled, and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes per side and then ENJOY!! Not very technical, but it works for us. JW

New to the forum and saw this. Totally agree w/this method. I use straight flour w/just enough homemade cajun seasoning to taste. This is great in the kitchen or in camp. Lots of good memories.