PDA

View Full Version : What BHN is recommended for deer?

Adam10mm
10-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Want to get a deer this year with a handload. Must be my own boolit too. Last year I missed one at close range with a pistol. Jerked the trigger trying to rush the shot (was trotting) and shot low.

Due to convience, I'll be using my pistol during school days and the 45/70 on weekends. I have a carry permit and can have my pistol loaded in transport so I don't have to mess with loading and unloading when I leave to go to school, just leave it locked in my truck. I'll basically be hunting with my 4" 10mm 1911 carry gun. I like dual purpose calibers.:mrgreen:

So my choices are going to be a 230gr SWC from my 10mm at about 1000-1100fps and the 45/70 405gr RCBS at a target 1900fps from my Guide Gun.

I have some linotype and lots o' WW at my disposal.

Lloyd Smale
10-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Id say for those velocitys anything ww or harder would do just fine. You best be careful bragging about your lead i only live a little ways from there and you might see me sneeking around your garage at night

dubber123
10-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Id say for those velocitys anything ww or harder would do just fine. You best be careful bragging about your lead i only live a little ways from there and you might see me sneeking around your garage at night

Remember the bad back Lloyd...better bring a hand truck!:drinks:

Lloyd Smale
10-18-2007, 05:46 PM
ya the back thing hasnt been doing well. I had some emg tests and anohter mri and it showed nerve damage and the doctor feels that if it hasnt gotten better by now it probably wont. He has shifted gears more to pain management now. I have a injection in my back sceduled for two weeks from now and there talkin implanting electrodes in my back to hook to some muscle stimuator. I dont know how impressed i am with that route. He about told me that i would never be a lineman again.

Adam10mm
10-18-2007, 11:23 PM
I have to compete with redneckdan too!

Lloyd Smale
10-19-2007, 06:50 AM
If you two ever find a motherload dont be shy about giving me a jingle. As a matter of fact if you ever get down this way Ive got a box with some 10mm brass in it that you can have.

GLynn41
10-19-2007, 10:03 AM
IMHO ww air cooled might deform maybe- at 1000+ but deer are soft targets personally I doubt it with out some thing done to aid expansion - does'nt mean it won't kill just expanding is questionable--mho

Adam10mm
10-19-2007, 11:34 AM
If you two ever find a motherload dont be shy about giving me a jingle. As a matter of fact if you ever get down this way Ive got a box with some 10mm brass in it that you can have.

Dan is sitting on a nice chunk from his grandfather. I'm waiting on a quote from my supplier for a 55gal drum of WW dropped off at my house. I'm starting a casting business up here.

Don't think I'll make it out there anytime soon. I've only been to the Marquette area once when me and the wife were looking for a place to live. Deciding between NMU or FU, my future inlaws said free room and board if I go to Finlandia, so we moved up here instead.

I can do trades for the brass. I got a bunch of 223 polished military, close to 50# of #8 shot, 375 H&H brass, Federal 20ga target hulls up the wazzoo (~1K+). Let me know.

Bret4207
10-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Plain old WW will do just fine in either application IMO.

Lloyd Smale
10-19-2007, 08:44 PM
good luck with the casting business. I tried it for a while but found if i sold bullets at the price the comercail casters were selling them i was lucky to be making minimum wage. A guy needs a big magma auto caster and auto sizer to even begin to compete. If you have to hand cast it just doesnt pay. The brass is yours just send my your address in a pm or to lws43@hotmail.com.
Dan is sitting on a nice chunk from his grandfather. I'm waiting on a quote from my supplier for a 55gal drum of WW dropped off at my house. I'm starting a casting business up here.

Don't think I'll make it out there anytime soon. I've only been to the Marquette area once when me and the wife were looking for a place to live. Deciding between NMU or FU, my future inlaws said free room and board if I go to Finlandia, so we moved up here instead.

I can do trades for the brass. I got a bunch of 223 polished military, close to 50# of #8 shot, 375 H&H brass, Federal 20ga target hulls up the wazzoo (~1K+). Let me know.