PDA

View Full Version : some kind of Colt

shaper
08-21-2013, 05:41 PM
While talking to a neighbor about smelting lead today, another neighbor came up and ask me if I knew how to load a muzzle loading pistol. I ask him what kind of pistol he had. He said it had the name "Colt" on it. I'm thinking, maybe a Navy Colt? The guy said he had not shot it but has owned it a long time. He said he had everything to load it but just didn't know how. He wants me to find out the procedure. I told him he didn't need to have it blow up in his hand and I would give him a hundred bucks for it. He actualy looked like he was considering it. So, If any of you guys know the proper system to load this thing I would apreciate if you would send the information to me.
I still do not know what kind of Colt it is because he didn't have it with him and he didn't know.

Outpost75
08-21-2013, 06:24 PM
An original Colt percussion revolver, not one of the Ital reproductions, if in good mechanical condition, is worth too much to shoot. You should help your friend get an honest evaluation and appraisal and he will be grateful for your not taking advantage.

shaper
08-21-2013, 07:48 PM
No, I don't plan to try taking advantage of him. If it is a replica I would like to see it in action, if not I know better than firing such a valued weapon. Anyway, it is in Atlanta and he will have to go get it. We were hoping someone with some experiance with a muzzle loading pistols would give us some information on the loading. If we suspect it to be a real Navy Colt, I will advise him against firing it and will get him on line with someone with a lot more knowledge than I have.
Are you willing to advise him?

Outpost75
08-21-2013, 07:59 PM
I can help you with the how-to info, and there is good treatment of it in Keith's bok Sixguns (1956).

I learned as a kid on an original Colt 1851 Navy and was coached my my Grandfather, who learned from a Civil War vet when he was a kid. The cap&ball revolvers are fun to shoot and satisfying.

John Boy
08-21-2013, 08:07 PM
Shaper - read this ... http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah/Choy.html

bigted
08-22-2013, 03:43 PM
just take the revolver to a qualified gunsmith with a good or better reputation and he or she can give a value of the piece. if a original 1800's colt then it be a keeper and not a shooter. if a newer colt or Italian then by all means shoot it if everything checks out such as;

1- cylinder stop's in correct place.
2- barrel is not badly pitted.
3- cylinder bores are not egg shaped.
4- main spring is strong.
5- full cock notch is solid and holds.
6- face of cylinder is flat and straight.
7- space between cylinder is at least consistently .005 or better but not over .015 inch.
8- wood is strong and solid on frame for a safe hold for control.

would think that if it meets all these criteria then it be a shooter and there is NO reason that even if an old colt that it should shoot just fine ... however IF an old Colt then foolishness in collecting would prohibit it from being shot at any condition.

loading a cap n ball revolver goes as such; ... 36 cal.

1- de-oil the cylinder and barrel.
2- snap proper size caps on each nipple to burn out left over oil out of nook,s n cranny's
3- now with .375 diameter balls on hand ... get a measure that holds about 16 to 18 grains of 3f powder.
4- pour 18 grains [for instance] into the first cylinder hole on the right side of cylinder.
5- place a .375 ball over the powder in that loaded hole.
6- use the ram rod under the barrel and ram the ball down firmly on the powder.
7- fill the next hole with the same amount of powder and place a ball over it and repeat the ramming home on top of the powder.
8- load all cylinder chambers in the same fashion ... [here is a further thought ... if going to carry ... then load only 5 out of a 6 shot or 4 out of a 5 shot ... reason is that you will desire the hammer to rest on an empty chamber].
9- now carefully cap the nipples with a snug and good fitting cap on each nipple that has ball n powder in it.
10- NOW this is a loaded revolver and when you point it at something make sure you desire it to be destroyed. she is ready to shoot ... have a ball.

now for 11- after the shot on each chamber ... pick up the revolver in an over head fashion and cock it again so the splintered cap will fall outta the way so as not to jam up the werks... picture the early western movies where the feller looked like he were trying to throw the ball outta the revolver at each shot ... this is proper for a non-customized revolver.

whewww that's all from the peanut gallery.

TXGunNut
08-22-2013, 11:44 PM
I pretty much do it the way bigted does it but I put a little Wonder Lube on a felt wad, yellow side up, over the powder, under the ball. Some folks smear lube over the front of the cylinder instead.

bigted
08-23-2013, 01:32 AM
ahhh yes ...thanks TXGunNut ... forgot about the Crisco. I also do the Crisco over the loaded balls to lube the barrel a bit and also coats the revolver for cleanup later after the smoke clears. don't know why I neglected to include this step ... another old fellers moment I guess.

Wayne Smith
08-23-2013, 01:14 PM
I also use lubed wads under the ball. I make my own from wool window seal and Emmert's lube.

Springfield
08-24-2013, 01:31 PM
I prefer to just make some small balls out of BP bullet lube and press them over the loaded lead balls. In hot weather the Crisco makes a large mess.