PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas For 300 Winchester Magnum Blanks. 21 Gun Salute.

45&30-30
08-21-2013, 05:21 PM
Our local American Legion is firing at a funeral this Saturday for the brother of one of our Drill Team members. We use Enfield rifles but he would like to use his brothers Winchester Model 70 in 300 Winchester Magnum during the salute. Has anyone assembled blank rounds that can give me a good starting point to build some loads, i.e., fast or slow powder, card board nose, wax, etc. I want to avoid primers backing out and unforeseen complications. There will be time for a test fire. Our cemeteries are in the country and we can adjust ourselves to fire in a safe direction. Thank you in advance.

Nobade
08-23-2013, 08:27 AM
About 10gr. of Bullseye or other fast shotgun powder and cream 'o' wheat to the mouth of the case held in by toilet paper or wax is what I use to fireform cases that size. It is plenty loud, just fire them up in the air since that COW going at mach 3 is dangerous close up.

-Nobade

john hayslip
08-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Leave out the COW and use florist foam to block the mouth. I think nothing will go up from that tho still dangerous if pointed at someone.

country gent
08-23-2013, 03:54 PM
A charge of bullseye or fast burning pistol powder, will take some experimenting to get the right report. Poly fill or cream of wheat to fill case ( this is a big case and alot of air space) a plug of wax in the case mouth to put everything under a little compression. Black powder 3 or 4 f might work better but the smoke and clean up ( would need to be as soon as possible after firing) would be diffrent.

45&30-30
08-23-2013, 07:23 PM
Thank you all for the reply's. I should have checked this morning before I finalized my plans. The florist foam is a new thought. I will definitely hang on to it. I should have remembered about fire forming with COW and used it. The smoke from black would make the funeral memorable. [smilie=w:

What I ended up doing is pulling the bullets from 5 of his hand loads and pouring the powder back in the case. I sharpened the end of the case with the de-burring tool and cut plugs from thick corrugated cardboard then a large drop of Lee Liquid Alox on top. Finished it off with a heavy roll crimp for smoother cycling. The two test fires worked flawlessly. Not as sharp a report as our 30-06 blanks. I can see where COW and wax or foam would be better for pressure and fast powder for a little more noise.