PDA

View Full Version : might be tupperaware id think of buying

Lloyd Smale
10-18-2007, 02:37 PM
http://www.downrange.tv/ruger/index.htm Id wait for a compact .40 though.

454PB
10-18-2007, 10:57 PM
I was just reading about it. I have mixed feelings about striker fired handguns. I have a couple of them and always feel uncomfortable when handling them. Too many years of handling 1911's and Hipowers I guess. Nice looking gun, though.

Lloyd Smale
10-19-2007, 06:41 AM
I share your conserns but what appeals to me is its the first ruger semi auto that doesnt look like its been carved from a 4x4

9.3X62AL
10-19-2007, 10:34 AM
That is a handsome beast. Harking back to the Ruger XGI.......I'll hide and watch for a while longer.

scrapcan
10-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Loyd,

I agree with you. Ihad a p89 that I sold because I could just never warm up to it. It shot really well, just could not get used to the looks or the feel.

S.R.Custom
10-20-2007, 08:15 PM
I share your conserns but what appeals to me is its the first ruger semi auto that doesnt look like its been carved from a 4x4

+1 :mrgreen:

BigSlick
10-21-2007, 08:02 AM
I watched a couple of the videos

They had me until they said 'magazine disconnect'

I'll wait and see how the initial units are reviewed.

Nice idea though, especially the adjustable sights, modular internals and the back strap.

LCI, I can take or leave
________
Avandia Classaction (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/avandia/)

crabo
10-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Lloyd, I think you might be interested in this. Here's John Farnum's take on this pistol.

New Ruger SR9:

At long-last Ruger, it seems, finally "gets it," at least some of it! Ruger
's new SR9 is a Glock-like, autoloading pistol. Striker-fired, plastic-framed, and with variable grip-geometry, this pistol is designed to compete directly with Glock and S&W's M&P series. Adhering to Ruger's MO, it is attractively priced at well under $400.00. Ruger has finally realized that heavy, maladroit autoloading pistols with, user-hostile, two-stage, manual decocking levers are of no interest to police-department purchasers.

Unfortunately, Ruger has equipped this otherwise promising pistol with their
version of a magazine safety. It is the worst of the worst! With the
magazine removed, the trigger functions normally, dropping the hammer, but the gun is prevented from firing. Magazine safeties on S&W pistols simply make the trigger go slack, which is sensory input to the shooter that the magazine has become unlocked or is not inserted at all. Either way, the shooter instantly knows what to do to correct the problem and get his pistol running. With the Ruger, the magazine safety, when activated, will still allow both trigger and hammer to function normally. It simply blocks the firing pin! Upon hearing a "click," instead of a "bang," the shooter knows little, because the pistol has told him little. Chamber might be empty. Might be a dud round. Magazine may be unlocked. To me, this is a source of needless confusion. Happily, the SR9's magazine safety is easily removable, at the option of the owner. Upon acquiring a copy, this would be my first act!

The pistol also "features" ambidextrous, two-position manual safety levers.
A manual safety on a pistol like this is, of course, a silly redundancy, but it can be easily ignored, which is what I'd do if I carried one.

The pistol is nicely rounded off, devoid of sharp corners and edges.
Trigger is similar to SIG's DAK.

On balance, the SR9 is a positive development. Ruger is a grand, old American gun company, and it is in all our best interests that they be successful.
After floundering in irrelevance for decades, Ruger, at long-last, has a main-stream, serious pistol that will compete legitimately with Glock, S&W, H&K, Beretta, Kahr, et al. I only wish they would spend at least some of their time talking with people who actually carry guns for serious purposes, rather than just lawyers, nanny-state politicians, and purely-recreational, target shooters!

/John