PDA

View Full Version : Coon recipies wanted

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-21-2013, 03:12 PM
the boy and I are taking trappers education , he wants to trap some coons , pelts are paying decent again , I have heard some say coon is tasty cooked right, do you have any recipes.

Swamp Man
08-21-2013, 05:19 PM
the boy and I are taking trappers education , he wants to trap some coons , pelts are paying decent again , I have heard some say coon is tasty cooked right, do you have any recipes.
They are tasty if done right but I've never cooked any. We us to eat them when I was a kid but now they say not to eat them in Fl. because they are carriers of rabies. Now weather that's the truth or not I'm not sure but that's what the state game folks said some years back.

Outpost75
08-21-2013, 05:28 PM
http://preparednessadvice.com/recipes/how-to-cook-a-raccoon/#.UhUw3dK1GhM

Dean D.
08-21-2013, 05:29 PM
I've trapped them and put up the fur. I've never tried eating one, the stink of skinning and working the pelt was enough to keep me from thinking of trying them. Racoons can be carriers of multiple diseases, something to think about for sure. Latex or Nytril gloves are a good thing to wear when working on them.

I really enjoyed my time when I trapped. I'd still be trapping if PETA hadn't convinced the sheeple through dishonest ad campaigns to ban our most effective tools in this state. :evil: I fervently hope the beaver, possum, racoon, and nutria eat them out of house and home. :guntootsmiley:

mikeym1a
08-21-2013, 05:35 PM
How interesting. I've been pestered by a coon that sneaks into the house through the cat's window, eats her food, and then goes through the trash. One day soon, I'll be sitting there with my hi-powered 22 air rifle, and shoot the little bugger in the head. Hate to do that, but, the critter tears up too much stuff, plus, he brings in fleas! I can walk up to within 3 ft of him, and he just stands there and looks at me, until I tell him to get out. Hate to kill such a fearless critter, but, seems that is what I'm gonna do. And I hate to kill anything I don't plan to eat, so, I need to know how as well. When I was a kid, if I shoot a rabbit or squirrel, first thing you do is skin and clean it, mom would cut it up and soak it in a pan of salt-water. She said that was to get the blood out. Those critters she pan fried like chicken. REALLY tasty! (She was a great cook. Left us 35 yrs ago, so can't call her for advice.) If no one comes up with any ideas, I'll try pan frying that critter. :)

mikeym1a
08-21-2013, 05:41 PM
http://preparednessadvice.com/recipes/how-to-cook-a-raccoon/#.UhUw3dK1GhM

Nice page. The first is similar to what mom did. The second sounds absolutely delicious! Thanks for the link!!

redneckdan
08-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Get a nice young one and clean all the fat off you possibly can, quarter it like a rabbit. Set if up in your slow cooker with onion soup mix and some chicken or beef broth. Cook on low for the better part of a day. Once it falls apart cool the meat of and pick out the bones/shred the meat with a fork. Mix in your favorite BBQ sauce and toss it back in the slow cooker on high for a couple hours. Makes a damn good BBQ sandwich. People who try it knowing full well it's coon say it tastes like beef only better and more tender.

JeffinNZ
08-21-2013, 06:21 PM
Take a prepared 'coon and place it in a rubber boot. Wrap the boot in clay and bake for 2 days. Remove clay and 'coon. Eat boot......

[smilie=1:

Charlie Two Tracks
08-21-2013, 06:55 PM
I've had it before when I used to go to coon dog clubs around here. I'd have to be dang hungry to eat it again.

Swamp Man
08-21-2013, 07:43 PM
They seem intelligent, but so did my first wife! LOL!

Yeah I had a girlfriend years back that seemed intelligent,but turned out she was just a lunatic that read a lot. LOL

MtGun44
08-21-2013, 07:43 PM
Tried it once, never again. Armadillo is really good, coon is nasty.

Bill

gbrown
08-21-2013, 08:41 PM
My dad had a cajun friend that we hunted with--Ivy Thibodeaux--loved coon. I killed some and my dad killed some. Always fell to me to clean and skin the coon. First one I did, I looked at the carcass and thought..."looks like a newborn"...never had any desire to eat one of those things. My dad, who would serve anything in the house--barbecued stingray wings, turtle, etc. never brought one in. Kinda told me something. Understand there are some musk glands that need to be removed, don't know. I never did anything but clean and skin.

375supermag
08-21-2013, 08:43 PM
My mother cooked raccoon once many years ago...I must have been about 8 years old, fifty years later, I still remember that God-awful taste.

My advice... soak it in saltwater to get the blood out of it, boil it until it falls off the bone, slow roast it with a couple of potatoes and onions until done.

Take coon, roaster, potatoes and onions out in the back yard and bury the whole kit-and-kaboodle as DEEP as you can and call Pizza Hut for delivery.

Your stomach will thank you and you won't have nasty memories of what coon tastes like. Better for your mental health and it might stave off some very bad nightmares.

starnbar
08-21-2013, 08:48 PM
(Tried it once, never again. Armadillo is really good, coon is nasty.) Need to be careful gutting armadillos they can carry leprosy.

kenyerian
08-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Back in the 60's their was an older gentleman that was from the south that pay 50 cents for all of the groundhogs and raccoons that I could bring him. He would dress them out, soak them in salt water for a couple of days and then he canned them.

waksupi
08-21-2013, 08:53 PM
Treat it like turtle. Cut it up, boil it, and skim any fat off the top. After that, you can do what you want with it.

Sweetpea
08-21-2013, 08:54 PM
I'm thinking this thread started to draw Jim into the open...:popcorn:

gbrown
08-21-2013, 08:54 PM
(Tried it once, never again. Armadillo is really good, coon is nasty.) Need to be careful gutting armadillos they can carry leprosy.

I've seen that, but never saw anything on the transmission from animal to human. Have no clue. Everything I've ever read said that only 2 animals with leprosy are man and armadillo. Have handled a hundred or so in my life, never gutted or eaten. Back in the depression, they were known as "Hoover Hogs".

starnbar
08-21-2013, 09:09 PM
I have handled a bunch too when I was a young man never had a problem with em I found out about the leprosy thing when I took one of my hounds to the vet after he had a run in with a black bear in union co.

farmerjim
08-21-2013, 09:31 PM
Be sure to remove the scent glands when cleaning, then parboil them until tender. Season and put on barbeque for a short time. They taste like the dark meat on a turkey. If you miss any of the scent glands, they will be inedible.
Nutria is good too, tastes just like chicken.

dbosman
08-21-2013, 09:33 PM
A vendor or three at the old Eastern Market in Detroit sold just about anything made of meat. Someone bought coons.
Given all the coon poop we had to clean off where two roofs met (near a cherry tree) I can't even consider eating any.

I'm hoping this isn't too much hijacking. My son wants a coon skin hat.
I'm not prepared to cure, tan, and sew one. I'm open to suggestions.

Charley
08-21-2013, 10:00 PM
Remove the glands, as mentioned, and barbecue them. My uncle always used a baste made of salt, pepper, vinegar and water. Slop it on every 10 minutes or so, helps keep the meat from drying out.

bruce drake
08-21-2013, 10:02 PM
Take a prepared 'coon and place it in a rubber boot. Wrap the boot in clay and bake for 2 days. Remove clay and 'coon. Eat boot......

[smilie=1:

That Boot is still tastier than the Coon....

Bruce

JeffinNZ
08-21-2013, 11:23 PM
That Boot is still tastier than the Coon....

Bruce

I suspect that to be the case. That recipe also applies to Pukekos, native swamp hens in NZ. Now for Wekas (native rail) you boil them with a rock and when the rock is good and tender...........

Swamp Man
08-21-2013, 11:38 PM
It has a lot to do with who cleans and who cooks it's like anything else. The ones I eat as a kid were cooked by a friend's grandmother but everything that old woman cooked was great.

Gliden07
08-21-2013, 11:49 PM
I never really cared for it. Went to a couple game dinners that served it, tried it a second time figuring the first time it wasn't prepared right. Still didn't like it. I would try it again if it was at a dinner again?

Outpost75
08-22-2013, 11:49 AM
.....Now for Wekas (native rail) you boil them with a rock and when the rock is good and tender...........

Similar to the old New Hampshire recipe for Loon, except that after adding water sufficient to cover the rock, you add a pint of whisky, then cover the crock tightly, sipping from the remainder in the bottle until it is gone, then you uncover the crock, throw away the rock and the Loon and then drink the warm gravy as a chaser before going to bed.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-22-2013, 01:06 PM
I think i can figure something out, i think the important part is remove all fat , par boil to get the rest of the fat off , and make sure the glands were removed

MtGun44
08-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Gutted and eaten dozens of armadillos in central Fla in 60s and 70s. Whole family
ate it and loved it, Mom told me to get one whenever I wanted. Never heard of the
leprosy thing, nobody every got sick. Good eating. Like white pork on one end and
red beef on the other. Amazingly different meat on one animal, more different than
white and dark on a turkey.

Bill

dbosman
08-22-2013, 03:08 PM
There are lots of "skin caps" available on the 'net. so do a search. I was thinkin' along the lines of skunk myself, sort of a political protest. <G>

Thank you.

10 ga
08-22-2013, 04:29 PM
I'm hoping this isn't too much hijacking. My son wants a coon skin hat.

I'm not prepared to cure, tan, and sew one. I'm open to suggestions.

Look up USA FOXX.

Coon is pretty good eating. Depends on age, season and what they been eating. Around here I get $3 to $5 @ selling just the meat(cornfield coons). At that price I don't eat em, just sell them. Yeah hides been going up but the market may not be so good this year. 10

gbrown
08-22-2013, 06:04 PM
Gutted and eaten dozens of armadillos in central Fla in 60s and 70s. Whole family
ate it and loved it, Mom told me to get one whenever I wanted. Never heard of the
leprosy thing, nobody every got sick. Good eating. Like white pork on one end and
red beef on the other. Amazingly different meat on one animal, more different than

Bill

The leprosy thing is just that both man and armadillo have it. Never have read anything about transmission from armadillo to people. I've never read anything definitive about how it is contracted. Anthrax exists in the soil in sw tx and mexico. Every now and then, you will read of a case that popped up with a rancher or a leather worker. Same with Bubonic plague, a naturally occurring illness in the steppes of central Asia. Travelled to Europe with rats that hitched a ride on some of the Mongol hay and supply wagons.

Swamp Man
08-22-2013, 06:33 PM

Bill I heard that when I was a kid from my Dad's uncle. He lived out by Melrose Fl and shot everyone of them he seen because he said they carried leprosy. I just thought he was a crazy old coot that like to drink beer and shoot things. Every time I seen him seemed like he was outside with a beer and his shotgun.

bob208
08-22-2013, 06:43 PM
straight from my southern Appalachian cook book.

after coon has been skinned. defatted and deglanded. wipe with damp cloth. dust out side with baking soda. rubbing it into the meat. rinse in 2-3 changes of cold water. put in roasting pan and add following. water to just cover,2 chopped carrots, 2 chopped onions , 2 stalks copped celery. cover and simmer for 30 min.

remove and allow o cool. then rub inside and out with a mixture of 2 parts salt,1 part pepper.

to make dressing mix following. 2qts. bread crumbs. 1 1/2 tsps. poultry seasoning, 1 sliced apple.
1 tsp. salt, 1 beaten egg, 1 cup milk, 1/4 tsp. pepper 1 chopped onion.

stuff and skewer add a little water cover pan tightly and roast at 350 deg. until tender. baste often and brown as with a turkey.

gbrown
08-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Everybody is saying remove the glands. There may be someone interested in eating one of these things that does not know what or where the glands are. Like me. Cleaned/skinned plenty of them, but never looked for no glands. I have no interest in eating a coon, possum or armadillo, as long as I can afford chicken and ground chuck. Could be, with the way our government is going, I may learn to acquire a taste for the more exotic foods. I'm sure one of you more knowledgable could enlighten us dummies.

flounderman
08-22-2013, 08:55 PM
I don't know why people jump in to answer a question when they have no idea or experience. I hunted coon for years and ate hundreds. Never caught a disease or threw up skinning or cutting up the meat. You can cook them different ways. Main thing is to cut them up, and remove all the fat you can and the kernels under the front legs and in the back legs. Then you parboil the meat until you can remove the rest of the fat. After that you can cook them how you prefer. We would roast them with dressing, quite a bit of sage and onion as well as salt and pepper. You could wrap the parboiled pieces in foil with Italian stove top dressing and some onion and put it in the oven and get good results. I prefer a younger animal and you could put a potato or two in the mix with an older animal. A potato will mitigate strong flavors when cooking wild game. Any animal needs to be taken care of as soon after it is killed and handled correctly, if you want decent meat. You can gut shoot it, leave it lay around for a few hours before you skin it, get your hands into the hair and glands and then handle the meat and you can ruin the taste of about any animal. Skin it without touching the meat and wash your hands before you start butchering. Use a gambel to hang the animal from and don't get hair all over it and be careful opening the body and gutting it. Keep everything clean and don't figure you can wash it up and it will be ok. Bad meat doesn't happen, it is usually caused by bad handling. It can have fur, feathers, or scales and if you don't take care of it, it isn't going to be good.

oscarflytyer
08-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Get a nice young one and clean all the fat off you possibly can, quarter it like a rabbit. Set if up in your slow cooker with onion soup mix and some chicken or beef broth. Cook on low for the better part of a day. Once it falls apart cool the meat of and pick out the bones/shred the meat with a fork. Mix in your favorite BBQ sauce and toss it back in the slow cooker on high for a couple hours. Makes a damn good BBQ sandwich. People who try it knowing full well it's coon say it tastes like beef only better and more tender.

I am guessing this is how it was done the one time I had it. Was in a crock pot in bbq sauce. Had been slow cooking for quite awhile, I am sure. Do remember having to skim the grease off the top few times. I certainly remember it as being a very tender tasty bbq. Would eat it again if I knew that was how it was prepared.

noodles mcgee
08-22-2013, 10:04 PM
I shot a huge coon in my coop last year. I eat just about anything. Not so with my wife and kids.

Anyways I prepare almost all my critters about the same way

Crockpot till the meat falls off the bones. Then use the meat in just anything you want meat in.

Awesome in a salad. Mixed with mayo. Or like a bbq pulled pork

Wayne Smith
08-22-2013, 10:05 PM
For general information leprosy is a virus that is very difficult but possible to transmit. I am assuming that it is the same virus but have no real idea, just because it is named the same. Father Damian lived and worked in the leper colony in Hawaii for years before he contacted the disease. He was in daily contact with and treated the wounds of the lepers. Rubber or vinyl gloves would be adequate protection. Chances are, even if it is the same virus, that one could be in contact with it many times before catching it, but why take the chance?

MtGun44
08-23-2013, 02:39 PM
If you were at Melrose you were REAL close to where I was back then.

Bill

gwpercle
08-23-2013, 03:22 PM
My brother and I cooked an old male coon he had killed. Didn't know about the "glands" , we just skinned it, gutted,par- boiled in salted water to tenderize it and finished it on the grill. It tasted muskey, nasty-gamey about like your gym socks smelled at years end. I will never do that again untill I watch someone else remove those glands. I don't know where they are or what they look like but find out and REMOVE all of them.
Armadillo's ( they are very tastey ) do not have any glands nor do nutria ( nutria are vegitarians and are quite good to eat) . Here in Louisiana you get a $5.00 bounty for the tail and you get to keep the meat and hide. Good luck with the trapping it is sure to be a fun project.
Gary

Smitty's Retired
08-29-2013, 12:17 PM
gwpercle, there are two glands (one under each armpit) under the front legs, and there are two glands in the crothch area between the rear legs. The ones between the rear legs sometimes will come off when you skin them. But they will look kind of like gray or dark colored beans win a flap of tissue and are usually have a bit of fat around them. When you remove them, pull them up and cut around and beneath them . Try to not squeeze them too much while pulling them up to cut out.

My grandmother used to soak the meat in a brine usually about two gallons of water, 3/4 cup of salt, and 1/3 cup of baking soda. She would soak the meat overnight, then rinse, and would parboil before grilling, or cook in a dutch oven with onions, potatoes, carrots,salt, pepper, smashed clove of garlic, and sometimes with cabbage.

Like others have said, it's all in how you skin it, and how you prepare it. And like others have said, be sure to trim as much fat away from the meat as you can.

Jeffrey
09-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Be sure to remove the scent glands when cleaning, then parboil them until tender. Season and put on barbeque for a short time. They taste like the dark meat on a turkey. If you miss any of the scent glands, they will be inedible.
Nutria is good too, tastes just like chicken.

I've put a tablespoon of liquid crab boil in the parboil water when doing as above. Came out good.