PDA

View Full Version : 38-55 pp

wgr
08-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Any of you guys shoot paper patch boolits in your 38-55? II f so what weight boolit do you shoot? I would like to get out to 200yards with mine

Gunlaker
08-21-2013, 10:49 AM
You might want to try the black powder paper patching sub-forum, but I guess most of us that read that one also read this one :-)

I have a .38-55 that I shoot paper patched bullets in. It's a C. Sharps 1885 with a 1:15 twist Badger barrel. I shoot breech seated bullets patched to bore diameter. I'm using a Brooks elliptical bullet that's 1.29" long. I don't remember the exact weight but it's around 320gr in 16:1. I'm using Seth Cole 8lb paper.

I'm still working on my load, but the potential for excellent accuracy is there. In my 10 shot groups I usually get 2 or 3 flyers with the rest going into around 1 moa of vertical at 100m and maybe 1.25 moa of vertical at 200m. Hopefully I'll solve the flyers before too long.

Chris.

bigted
08-21-2013, 03:29 PM
what rifle and what do it slug out to? 200 yards is a big CAN DO. also have you ever paperpatched before? there are some good books to help a feller out with the beginning's of this fun process.

wgr
08-21-2013, 04:53 PM
The rifle is an h&r .The groove dia. is .380. yes i pp for my 45-70 not much but some

Nobade
08-21-2013, 10:32 PM
I shoot this one:
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=36-275P-D.png

in My H&R target rifle, I assume the same thing you have. If Greenhill is to be believed this is about the heaviest bullet it will stabilize. True or not, it shoots amazingly well and is very accurate to 500M easily. I cast them at .366" and patch them up to .373" which is a nice slip fit in the fired cases and into the bore. Either loaded with straight black and patch the bore between shots, or my favorite a light duplex load they both work well. I use a 1/4 inch grease cookie with either load. Tried lubed felt wads but it didn't shoot nearly as well. KIK FFg so far is the best powder, slightly outshoots Swiss 1.5F. I haven't tried it with Swiss 2F yet, don't have any.

-Nobade

bigted
08-22-2013, 03:21 AM
I have problems with my custom Hiwall but it has a GM 14 twist barrel 30 inch's long in a Winchester #4 contour which is very heavy ... and I have yet to get anything but jacketed to shoot well in it. I get leading slightly with it in any lead mix ive tried as well. mine will and does struggle with blackpowder also. I still try to figure this rascal out tho [with blackpowder] as it is such a fine and easy shooter with its heavy weight. good luck with yours.

what is your twist rate? also the rifling depth? I think this will have a great deal of influence on how good it does with paper patched boolits.