PDA

View Full Version : May have gotten first batch of lube too hot...how can I tell or what are the effects?

Manns50
08-20-2013, 11:11 PM
50/50 paraffin/vaseline and gas treatment. Didnt realize slow and low was the way to go....at brief times the batch was smoking slightly and I turned it down. Later read that this could make it useless? Anyone care to elaborate or explain the affects or how I can tell? Seem to harden up ok to a newbies eyes.

btroj
08-20-2013, 11:29 PM
Not gonna hurt it at all. Those ingredients can take the heat.

geargnasher
08-21-2013, 12:06 AM
"Gas treatment"? Sure you weren't supposed to be using the engine oil treatment version of STP? The light aromatic solvents in the gas treatment could have been the source of your smoke. Beeswax is very sensitive to being overheated (which is probably what you read about) as its delicate alcohol/ester chains get fried and it can become brittle and crumbly, but the petrol waxes can take a lot of heat and smoke a lot before any significant damage occurs. Paraffins in particular are resistant to heat oxidation, and paraffin wax and Vaseline are both paraffinic.

Gear

Manns50
08-23-2013, 08:31 AM
Ya i read that you can use either the gas or oil treatment stating they both have the ingredients your looking for. But they hardened up nice just having to find different lead than what I acquired as its almost pure lead. When doing the fingernail test I could make a groove in it with my thumbnail....had bought 20lbs of that. Can add the antimony mixture later I guess to utilize it but found a couple sources for WW $25 for a 5 gal bucket mixture lead or whatever is in there. Is this about the going rate? But I guess thats for another thread lol

geargnasher
08-23-2013, 01:42 PM
[smilie=b:

Gear

btroj
08-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Gas treatment is WAY different. Get the oil treatment. Trust me. And I am not a mechanic be any means. But once you see the difference in the physical properties of the two you will understand.

jules
08-25-2013, 06:22 AM
I made a batch of the 50/50 paraffin/vaseline and used STP oil treatment. I am having trouble getting it to stay in the grooves when I push the boolits through. I am pan lubing.

btroj
08-25-2013, 07:45 AM
Is it coming out because the lube is too soft and not staying in the grooves or too hard and breaking and crumbling out do the grooves?

See where this is going? Adjust the consistency of the lube to what you need.

Size of the lube grooves matters too. Larger grooves are easier, they hold enough lube to have some lube cohesion going on. Small grooves and that little ribbon of lube make it tougher, in my opinion.

fryboy
08-25-2013, 08:03 AM
your gas treatment ( besides being wrong ) will just evaporate leaving you with the remaining wax and vaseline , go ahead and reheat it ,in fact let it smoke some more to make sure that the alcohol etc in the gas treatment is totally gone and then add some stp OIL treatment

in my personal use i do not consider this lube to be hard , yes it will harden over it's melted state but to be hard i'd consider 60-75% wax more of a hard lube ,my best use with it was when i added lanolin USP to give it a bit more tack and flex ( this would/should also help jules tremendously )

jules
08-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Is it coming out because the lube is too soft and not staying in the grooves or too hard and breaking and crumbling out do the grooves?

See where this is going? Adjust the consistency of the lube to what you need.

Size of the lube grooves matters too. Larger grooves are easier, they hold enough lube to have some lube cohesion going on. Small grooves and that little ribbon of lube make it tougher, in my opinion.

It's not a flexable as C Red. It does seem to crumble a bit. And yes the grooves on the Lee .476 are small.

btroj
08-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Use a bit more Vaseline or a small amount of anhydrous lanolin.

shadowcaster
08-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Equal parts of of Dexron transmission fluid and STP oil treatment, make for a nice additive balance for many recipes. Gas treatment is definitely the wrong stuff.

Shad

jules
08-27-2013, 06:47 PM
Use a bit more Vaseline or a small amount of anhydrous lanolin.

Thanks, I'll give that a try

Manns50
08-30-2013, 12:25 AM
I have since pan lubed some 9's with that gas treatment mixture and it works quite well I think. Staying put in the groove and all I done was popped the bullets thru the hardened mixture after setting for 12 hrs. Nice ring on em looks like they were run through a lubrisizer.
I got this recipe from vids from YouTube "HP firearms" had read about several on here and diff places figured they would all be similar and just tried that one first. Time will tell I'm sure but after loading a few and letting em go I'm happy so far.

runfiverun
08-30-2013, 12:38 AM
what you really have to watch is ester oils and paraffinics.
that has to be the most thixotropic lube I have ever seen and the amount of work it takes to soften the mixture would wear a body builder out.
it hardens like a rock.

now mineral based oils will soften a paraffin wax until it is easily the consistency of Vaseline.
mainly because that is what Vaseline is anymore.

Manns50
08-30-2013, 12:38 AM
Username is usbrotherhood11b
Guess that's heritage pride firearms if anyone wants to search that source of that. I'm sure plenty of the knowledgable people on here know the straight scoop about it....as I am learning a lot since starting this hobby...very addicting for some reason!
But the guy seems to have some good tips and techniques.