PDA

View Full Version : Powder coat, and sticking to the pan ?

capt.hollis
08-20-2013, 10:38 PM
I know this has been answered, but not much luck yet finding a good answer. Anyone have a good method of lifting these bullets off the pan, or keep them from sticking to the tray ? I have found a great powder coat I think ? It's a polyester base ? Baking at 350 degrees for 20 minutes

xyankeeworkshop
08-21-2013, 11:35 AM
Reynolds Wrap Non-Stick aluminum foil seems to be a favorite amongst the electrostatic PC crowd. It's more expensive than regular foil, but you can reuse sheets up to a point.

bstone5
08-21-2013, 11:54 AM
Try this material for keeping the coated bullets from sticking.

There is little still around the base of the bullet to be removed.

I use the same for the electrostatic and the piglet method even with the High Tech coating.

capt.hollis
08-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Sweet Guys ! Thank you a bunch !!!

capt.hollis
08-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Try this material for keeping the coated bullets from sticking.

There is little still around the base of the bullet to be removed.

I use the same for the electrostatic and the piglet method even with the High Tech coating. hey, how are you removing the extra paint around the base? Also are you powder coating the base of the bullet ? Thanks a bunch man

xacex
08-21-2013, 01:23 PM
That is the other issue with PC plain base on foil. Set the boolits on 1/4" nuts and it will solve both problems. You can use regular foil instead of non stick

Azshooter2013
08-21-2013, 01:42 PM
+ 1 for the 1/4" nuts, I drilled 50 small holes in my tray and used 6/32 bolts and nuts to make stands for the bullets to sit on, it keeps them steady and they fall right off after cooking, that is until the tray fills up with powder coat, usually at around 1000 bullets.

bstone5
08-21-2013, 04:53 PM
I made a plastic holder that is round I put in the Battery Drill and sand the base edge to remove the powder coat.

Just a few seconds will clean up the edge of the base using some 200 grit shop roll paper.

The holder is split so the drill chuck will make the ID of the holder tight enough to hold the bullet.

I used some plastic tubing one time and split with a pocket knife.

I do not coat the base with the powder coating gun since I usually install cola can gas checks on the base of the bullets.

With the Piglet method the complete bullet gets coated with the base edge clean.

capt.hollis
08-21-2013, 09:36 PM
Ohh wow guys! Thanks for the input here. My powder coating method looks terrible . Can you post your recipe . Are you using the gun or just shaking them in a can. I'm using a thinner to the powder and the powder is activating, but it's pretty blotchy, and not a consistent coverage. I appreciate the ideas again guys . Very very cool ideas and will be trying it out .

bstone5
08-21-2013, 10:47 PM
The Piglet method works better with a automotive Lacquer thinner.

The below is from the Piglet method thread.

As state in another post it was left over PPG Duracryl, acrylic Lacquer Thinner, DTL 105 from painting a car. as far as ratio I just add the thinner in enough to get the bullets wet with a little extra and then just sprinkle in the powder mixing and adding more powder till I get a nice coat on bullets. if I make it too thick I will adds a drop or so more thinner. Usually the bottom of my plastic container is cover good after the bullets are finish. This dries out but when you do another batch and add thinner again it gives good coating on the new batch. if I could come up with a better way of baking without the hardware wire marks then it will look store bought.
Forgot to add this is Harbor Freight powder coat. I got the 4 colors of white, black, yellow and red.

NineInchNails
08-22-2013, 02:27 PM
^ ^ ^ From what I've read, the Harbor Freight powder is harder to work with. Many were using Acetone, but when switching to lacquer thinner it supposedly worked better.

When switching to the Powder By The Pound powder people were getting significantly better results in comparison to the Harbor Freight powder.

capt.hollis
08-25-2013, 01:50 AM
Are many using the powder coat gun while making there application? My shake in a jar method is not coming out quite as we'll as I've wanted.
^ ^ ^ From what I've read, the Harbor Freight powder is harder to work with. Many were using Acetone, but when switching to lacquer thinner it supposedly worked better.

When switching to the Powder By The Pound powder people were getting significantly better results in comparison to the Harbor Freight powder.