PDA

View Full Version : Uberti 1885 results? Double-set triggers?

John F.
10-17-2007, 10:24 PM
Hi, folks,
I am looking at getting a Uberti 1885 High Wall in .30-40 Krag, with pistol grip and double-set triggers. I wonder if you owners of Uberti 1885's could comment on accuracy (specific figures are better than "shoots better than I can hold it...") and durability? I'm especially interested in anyone's experience with their double-set triggers, if anyone here has them -- work ok, durable, retain adjustment, approximate number of rounds fired? Anyone have to return one for service? If so, did they treat you well?

Thanks very much -- all information is greatly appreciated!
John

4060MAY
10-17-2007, 11:11 PM
the 38-55 I am acquainted with, has set only triggers. the front trigger only works when the rear trigger is set.
Contact Buffalo Arms, they carry the Cimarron line of Uberti Hi-walls

Kraschenbirn
10-17-2007, 11:54 PM
My straight-stocked, octogon-barreled .38-55 has the factory single trigger which lets off crisply at just a touch over 2 1/2 lbs. As I bought the rifle used, I can't say for certain whether it's been "tuned" or not but it's clean enough that I'm not about to tinker around trying to "improve" it, either.

So far, I've put around 500 rounds...all BP except for a few Pyrodex RS loads because I had some on hand and wanted to see how it shot...through the rifle with no problems whatsoever. A 265 gr. plain-base FP (25-1 alloy) over 48 gr FFg prints consistent sub-2" groups at 100 yds using the factory buckhorn rear sight/front post combination. I recently installed a Lyman 17A front sight which significantly improved the sight picture but am waiting for my backordered tang sight to show up before I take it to the range again.

Bill

Jon K
10-18-2007, 12:08 AM
John,

Do you know if the gun is in stock? Many dealers will list the Uberti High Wall w/double set trigger, but don not have it in their inventory. If they have it get it, because they have a long waiting list for DST rifles. 4060May is right, call Buffalo Arms. They always have Uberti High Wall on order, and they can tell you whats coming in on Uberti import list.

Jon

John F.
10-18-2007, 06:51 AM
Hi, folks,
Thanks much for the good information -- especially about the trigger only being able to be used in the "set" mode. I will verify whether all are like that -- don't know if I'd want one
that's limited in that way, so might change my mind about DST's. Thanks again for all your help!
John

John F.
10-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Howdy, all,
I checked into the DST on the Uberti 1885, and Cimarron says they are all that way (i.e., must be set with rear trigger in order to fire, no independent function of the front trigger.) The fellow there to whom I was referred for his "technical expertise" stated that "double set triggers use the rear trigger as a safety," and didn't seem to get my point that most REAL double set triggers can be fired using the front trigger un-set, at a standard weight of pull, or set for a lighter trigger pull weight, as you prefer. He also had no idea of what the adjustment range of the trigger was, whether it went below 1 lb, etc. He didn't sound like he'd ever actually fired one. This does not inspire confidence, that's for sure.

Given all that, I am starting to think of just getting the single trigger and having it tuned if necessary, or just skipping the Uberti all together. I sure was looking forward to having a fully functional DST, though.

If anyone here knows how light the Cimarron "DST" can be set safely, that would be helpful.
Thanks again,
John

twotrees
10-18-2007, 08:17 PM
I have a Uberti in 45-70 and at the shoots I go to, it out shoots/shoots with all the hi dollar guns.

Mine is a single trigger, but with the long range tang sight and bubble level front. I have even hit the creedmore Buff at 1000 meters (twice even)LOL.

The rifle shoots well and cleans easily and it sure is fun to watch the Big Boys when it out shoots them.

Good Shooting,

TwoTrees

cabezaverde
10-19-2007, 08:58 PM
John F. - check your PM's.

mag44uk
10-20-2007, 12:15 PM
I have the Uberti 1885 "carbine" in 45/70. It out shoots any other rifle I have,certainly out to 300 yards. 3inch groups at 200 yards using Swiss B/P and Lyman postell bullets.Marbles midrange rear and standard front.
The trigger is the single type and is very,VERY nice. I wouldnt pay the extra for a set trigger.
Regards,
Tony

John F.
10-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Hi, folks,
Thanks much for the good info! I normally wouldn't be so concerned about
this type purchase, but haven't gotten to handle one in the flesh; Uberti
can't tell me anything useful about the trigger, but gleefully states they'll
charge $150 restocking fee on returns.

I have definitely seen companies with better customer service.

Thanks again,
John