PDA

View Full Version : Uberti Cattleman 44-40 Chamber reaming

alexanderkidd
08-20-2013, 08:48 AM
I've read online that Uberti 44-40 revolvers can be inaccurate, due .430 cylinder throats but chambers that can't accommodate larger diameter bullets. One of the articles suggested a solution was to have the cylinder reamed out so that normal .44 caliber bullets can be used.

I have a revolver that has .430 cylinder throats but won't chamber any bullets larger than .428. Does anyone know of a gunsmith out there that performs this kind of custom reaming service?

BCgunworks
08-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Reamers for the job can be purchased or rented from several places.

It is a job that can be done by hand with a little tlc.

BCgunworks
08-20-2013, 09:14 AM
Reamers can be rented or purchased from several places.

Adjustable reamers are also an option.

This is a job you can do by hand with a little TLC.

alexanderkidd
08-20-2013, 04:41 PM
What kind of reamer do I need? Any leads on where to rent one?

BCgunworks
08-20-2013, 04:50 PM
An expandable hss reamer will work. Make sure it covers the size range you need.
They are not too expensive. You could buy one and have it for the future. You will need a set of mics or calipers to measure it.

Go slow and take your time.

portlybowlofpigfat
08-20-2013, 06:06 PM
brownells used to sell a kit with the reamer and pilots . 10 years ago it was something around $30

alexanderkidd
08-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Don't suppose you remember the part number of have a link to it?

MtGun44
08-25-2013, 05:26 PM
I am confused. As far as I know, groove diameters for .44-40 are .427, so if you
load a .430 boolit into a .430 throat behind a .427 barrel, you should have a
really good arrangement.

Bill

HATCH
08-25-2013, 05:48 PM
To be honest most modern 44/40's use 44 mag/44spl barrels.
I size my 44/40s to .430

My brother No_1 has a reamer set and is doing all my cowboy caliber pistols.

DougGuy
08-25-2013, 06:20 PM
I have a new .431" Manson reamer, PM if you want to send your cylinder here.

alexanderkidd
08-25-2013, 07:00 PM
I am confused. As far as I know, groove diameters for .44-40 are .427, so if you
load a .430 boolit into a .430 throat behind a .427 barrel, you should have a
really good arrangement.

Bill

This is true, but larger bullet diameters do not chamber in the cylinder, so the cylinder throat can't be matched to the bullet. I have tried with a Lee .44 mold and was not able to get the bullets to chamber even after sizing them down .002 or .003.

I found reference to this being a problem with Uberti 44-40s here (last post in the thread):

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-230700.html

No_1
08-25-2013, 07:04 PM
My experience with the 2 Uberti revolvers and 1 Ruger Vaquero currently in my safe would be pistols which are built using barrels designed for 44 Mag / 44 Special. The Uberti's cylinder throats slugged .427 which was easily corrected to .430 with little trouble using the reamer I purchased from Manson reamers (http://www.mansonreamers.com/) .

After reading this thread a couple of times I believe you are having problems different than what I experienced. You indicate the throats of this revolver are already at .430 but ammo built with .430 boolits will not chamber. I do not believe a throat reamer is going to solve your problem. When I first loaded for the Uberti's I thought I was having the same problem as you until I increased the crimp. In closing, If you are not crimping then I suggest a roll crimp and if you are then I suggest you try a little bit heavier crimp before you ship the cylinder off for rework.

JMtoolman
08-27-2013, 09:27 AM
I also am having problems with a couple of 44-40's chambers. My Rugers have small throats were .425 and the bores of the barrels are .431. So I reamed the chamber mouths to .431, but now my brass with .431 bullets are a press fit into the chambers. Now I need to ream the chambers to open up to handle the loaded rounds. I guess I will have to order a chucking reamer to take a couple thousands out of the chamber necks. Been busy and haven't got around to it. This is what happens when manufactures combine new and old measurements for production runs. We have to re-invent the wheel to get things to work. The toolman.

alexanderkidd
10-02-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm wondering if it's possible that the expander die I have isn't opening the necks of the brass enough to handle larger bullets. The outside diameter of the expander plug is .425 (so .002 smaller than a .427 bullet). So the .427s get seated without case buckling/bulging, but perhaps .430 causes a bulge which hangs up the case in the cylinder. Does this sound plausible? If so is it possible to get a larger diameter expander for a RCBS cowboy 44-40 die?

MtGun44
10-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Try using a soft alloy and a fast powder like Bullseye, and the largest boolit that will
chamber. This may bump up and get it to work.

Another trick is to drill in a few hollow bases, maybe 1/4" about 3/16" deep as a trial. This
may expand the base enough to get good results. If it works, you are stuck finding a
HB mold or making a drill jig to drill them.

Both methods were how the old ammo was made to work in these guns.

Bill

bob208
10-02-2013, 07:30 PM
now for the big question. have you shot it yet? how does it shoot? or are you going by what you have read?

alexanderkidd
10-02-2013, 09:25 PM
now for the big question. have you shot it yet? how does it shoot? or are you going by what you have read?

I've shot it a fair bit. The groups at 15 yards were wider than other pistols by a fair margin using Oregon Trail hard cast .427 bullets.

Piedmont
10-03-2013, 12:59 AM
I'm wondering if it's possible that the expander die I have isn't opening the necks of the brass enough to handle larger bullets. The outside diameter of the expander plug is .425 (so .002 smaller than a .427 bullet). So the .427s get seated without case buckling/bulging, but perhaps .430 causes a bulge which hangs up the case in the cylinder. Does this sound plausible? If so is it possible to get a larger diameter expander for a RCBS cowboy 44-40 die?

No that doesn't sound plausible. When you are done reaming your chambers you my want the larger expander, but as long as there is no true buckling, that bulge is just caused by a larger bullet in a smaller case. It won't cause a chambering problem. You are worrying about the tight place below the large bullet, if I am reading you correctly, and the tighter part will chamber fine.

If the case neck is belled, the large bullet will go in the case. If the bullet is relatively hard, the case neck won't size the bullet down even with an undersized expander.

If you get true case buckling it will be very apparent to the naked eye.

alexanderkidd
10-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Try using a soft alloy and a fast powder like Bullseye, and the largest boolit that will
chamber. This may bump up and get it to work.

Another trick is to drill in a few hollow bases, maybe 1/4" about 3/16" deep as a trial. This
may expand the base enough to get good results. If it works, you are stuck finding a
HB mold or making a drill jig to drill them.

Both methods were how the old ammo was made to work in these guns.

Bill

Are there any hollow-base .427-.428 molds to be had? Would be interested in trying this method.

Also would Clip-on Wheel Weight lead be too hard?

MtGun44
10-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Test the idea by drilling some soft cast plain based slugs before
doing anything, easy and cheap. You will probably have trouble
finding a factory HB, but I wonder if Erik could rework a regular
mold to HB? HBs are normally made nose-pour and regular molds
are all base pour, so I wonder if it is possible to recut and remount
the sprue plate. If serious, after proving it will work, contact Erik
at Hollowpoint Services.

Cast up some soft boolits to the largest that will chamber and load over
a stiff charge of fast powder, this may well work, too.

Bill

fourarmed
10-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Alexander, I have the same problem with a relined '73 Winchester. The bore was supposed to be .428 but was .431, and bullets that size in any brand of case chamber hard. It is easier to work on a revolver cylinder than on a '73 chamber, so if you can find a chambering reamer (not the throating reamers that most of the replies are talking about) with a larger neck section, it should be fairly easy to open them up. I know some finish reamers can be pulled into the chamber using a rod inserted through the muzzle. I don't know if oversized ones are available for the 44-40.

nitro-express
11-13-2021, 03:34 PM
Alexander, I have the same problem with a relined '73 Winchester. The bore was supposed to be .428 but was .431, and bullets that size in any brand of case chamber hard. It is easier to work on a revolver cylinder than on a '73 chamber, so if you can find a chambering reamer (not the throating reamers that most of the replies are talking about) with a larger neck section, it should be fairly easy to open them up. I know some finish reamers can be pulled into the chamber using a rod inserted through the muzzle. I don't know if oversized ones are available for the 44-40.

Every caliber seems to have issues of some sort. It's been my experience that the 44-40 does have a few quirks. The small neck, ie: too small to accommodate a boolit that is any bigger than 0.427" is one. The 38-55 rifle has a similar issue with any boolit over 0.379". Opening up the neck can be accomplished with a chamber reamer. Or some specialty reamer, perhaps.

I have a newer production Smoke Wagon and the throats are my issue. My chambers will accommodate 430 boolits. Unfortunately my throats are 0.4335", and the groove diameter is 430.

I do wonder when the gun industry will get these right!

Outpost75
11-13-2021, 04:13 PM
The problem is that the chamber NECK is too small to allow cartridges assembled with .430" bullets to chamber. My Ruger Vaquero had .430 barrel groove diameter with .427 cylinder throats and .444 chamber neck. John Taylor rechambered the cylinder to open chamber neck diameter to .447-.448 and cylinder throats to .4305". He also fitted and chambered a Bowen cylinder blank to .44-40 for my Super Blackhawk. I shoot Accurate 43-206H .430" bullets with 6.5 grains of Bullseye for good results.

My Pietta Frontier came with correct dimensions from the factory and uses the same ammo with .430 bullets assembled in Starline brass. No leading, very accurate. My original Winchester and 1905 Colt New Service shoot well with the same ammo.