PDA

View Full Version : TC G2 Contender availability

Mike Hughes
08-20-2013, 07:40 AM
I have noticed a lot of people shoot these and seem to really like them. From looking at online pics, the G2 stainless looks like a good choice, but I can't find one available. Does anyone know of a source for these? There is quite a few of the early model on Gunbroker. Is the G2 a lot better than G1? I would like to acquire barrels for 30-30, 223, and 44 mag. The barrels seem to be readily available. I probably need another gun, about as much as I need a hole in my head, but these things look like lots of fun!

7br
08-20-2013, 02:39 PM
You might try http://www.edstc.com

Doc_Stihl
08-20-2013, 04:34 PM
If you're into larger calibers you should check out the Encore as well. More options.
A G2 in SST isn't common. (SST is not stainless, TC doesn't offer anything stainless steel)

williamwaco
08-20-2013, 05:27 PM
They were bought by Smith and Wesson.

My local shop specializes in them. He says they are very hard to get since Smith and Wesson bought them.

Give them a try :
http://spsgunstx.com/

Fishman
08-20-2013, 05:32 PM
Hmm, the TC Thunderhawk I have says stainless, and I've had it for close to 20 years. I also have a stainless Contender frame and a stainless 30/30 barrel. At least they call it stainless?

To the original poster, the Encore is much stronger, but it is a heavier gun as well. If you want a Contender, I'd say go for it. If an original frame showed up, I wouldn't pass on it for a G2 frame though. The G2 is very nice, and there are some barrels that are G2 specific, but the old frames work just fine.

Mike Hughes
08-20-2013, 05:36 PM
You might try http://www.edstc.com
Thanks, I will give them a call and see what they have in stock

If you're into larger calibers you should check out the Encore as well. More options.
A G2 in SST isn't common. (SST is not stainless, TC doesn't offer anything stainless steel)

TCA G2 Contender Pistol 30-30 14" SS
This is the way Bud's list it on their site, I thought the SS meant stainless steel. Thanks for pointing that out, I guess its a gray coating and might have been disappointed. I do like the looks of it. I will check out the encore. I have heard of them, but I thought they were single shot rifles. I need to do a little more homework
Thanks

Mike Hughes
08-20-2013, 05:52 PM
They were bought by Smith and Wesson.

My local shop specializes in them. He says they are very hard to get since Smith and Wesson bought them.

Give them a try :
http://spsgunstx.com/
Thanks, I will also check with them. I didnt realize Smith and Wesson bought them.

Hmm, the TC Thunderhawk I have says stainless, and I've had it for close to 20 years. I also have a stainless Contender frame and a stainless 30/30 barrel. At least they call it stainless?

To the original poster, the Encore is much stronger, but it is a heavier gun as well. If you want a Contender, I'd say go for it. If an original frame showed up, I wouldn't pass on it for a G2 frame though. The G2 is very nice, and there are some barrels that are G2 specific, but the old frames work just fine.

Thanks Fishman, I was kind of hoping to hear that the original contenders were good. There are quite a few on GB, some were in new condition at somewhat reasonable prices

John Allen
08-20-2013, 05:58 PM
I have two of the original contenders and about 12 barrels. The originals work just fine.

27judge
08-20-2013, 06:09 PM
I have 2 stainless contender frames and 2 encore stainless frames I sold the 3rd encore stainless frame ,had them for some years tks ken

M-Tecs
08-20-2013, 06:18 PM
The original Contenders was first blued than later they offered a plated version for time period. To use the plated barrels on a blued frame you had to ream the pivot pin. They dropped the plated version and went to stainless steel. Currently they offer a treated stainless steel on some models. http://www.tcarms.com/technology/

Cosmiceyes
08-20-2013, 07:10 PM
I have noticed a lot of people shoot these and seem to really like them. From looking at online pics, the G2 stainless looks like a good choice, but I can't find one available. Does anyone know of a source for these? There is quite a few of the early model on Gunbroker. Is the G2 a lot better than G1? I would like to acquire barrels for 30-30, 223, and 44 mag. The barrels seem to be readily available. I probably need another gun, about as much as I need a hole in my head, but these things look like lots of fun!

Well I had hope someone would have answered you question. I have both. The G-2 lets you cock,and uncock without opening the action each time. The G-2 changed the angle in the grip so you fingers don't get popped by the trigger guard and adds a better comfort angle.G-1 barrels fit the G-2,but G-2 barrels don't fit the G-1.If you get a thumb-hole stock for a G-2 it feels like a rifle grip. That makes your sight plain lower also.
Midway has a lot of both barrels,and attachments. midwayusa.com
There are a lot of custom barrel makes for them also. :)'s

Iowa Fox
08-21-2013, 07:07 AM
Smith & Wesson is not going to produce any more Contenders. Their sales reps have conveyed this message to the distributors no matter what you hear. Over the years T/C produced blued, gray plated called Armor Alloy which looked like stainless, and Stainless. The s/n on the frame will always tell what the frame is. Blued frames have no prefix before the s/n. Armor Alloy frames have an A preceding the s/n. Stainless frames have a S preceding the s/n. Over the years a lot of blued frames have been plated. Beginning at s/n 195,000 T/C went to the easy open feature plus other enhancements. The pivot pin for the EO is centered right above the trigger vs in front of the trigger for the non EO. When owned by the gentlemen Thompson & Center they were quality without compare. Life time warranty with outstanding product support. The employees took great pride in the products they produced. Like so many great American companies those days are gone. Be patient as there are a lot of T/C frames and barrels out there and deals to be had. For a first time buyer I would suggest the easy open G1s, stainless were all easy open, g2s, or Encore pre Smith & Wesson. Keep in mind parts availability is probably going to slowly dry up for these fine firearms. Thanks Smith & Wesson and Greg Ritz.

ubetcha
08-21-2013, 07:34 AM
[I have one on order from a friend of mine and he had call S&W to find out about my order because it's been a couple of months now. He was told that they have installed a new computer system and it would be another 6 WEEKS yet. Problem with the new system.[smilie=b:

Mike Hughes
08-21-2013, 07:39 AM
Well I had hope someone would have answered you question. I have both. The G-2 lets you cock,and uncock without opening the action each time. The G-2 changed the angle in the grip so you fingers don't get popped by the trigger guard and adds a better comfort angle.G-1 barrels fit the G-2,but G-2 barrels don't fit the G-1.If you get a thumb-hole stock for a G-2 it feels like a rifle grip. That makes your sight plain lower also.
Midway has a lot of both barrels,and attachments. midwayusa.com
There are a lot of custom barrel makes for them also. :)'s

Smith & Wesson is not going to produce any more Contenders. Their sales reps have conveyed this message to the distributors no matter what you hear. Over the years T/C produced blued, gray plated called Armor Alloy which looked like stainless, and Stainless. The s/n on the frame will always tell what the frame is. Blued frames have no prefix before the s/n. Armor Alloy frames have an A preceding the s/n. Stainless frames have a S preceding the s/n. Over the years a lot of blued frames have been plated. Beginning at s/n 195,000 T/C went to the easy open feature plus other enhancements. The pivot pin for the EO is centered right above the trigger vs in front of the trigger for the non EO. When owned by the gentlemen Thompson & Center they were quality without compare. Life time warranty with outstanding product support. The employees took great pride in the products they produced. Like so many great American companies those days are gone. Be patient as there are a lot of T/C frames and barrels out there and deals to be had. For a first time buyer I would suggest the easy open G1s, stainless were all easy open, g2s, or Encore pre Smith & Wesson. Keep in mind parts availability is probably going to slowly dry up for these fine firearms. Thanks Smith & Wesson and Greg Ritz.
Thanks guys, this is good information

Can anyone tell if this is the easy open version, I don't have access to the serial #

marshall623
08-21-2013, 09:56 AM
Dosen't look like it, the easy frames have a pin in the side of the frame above the trigger

williamwaco
08-21-2013, 07:22 PM

That's what "they" say so I bought an original frame at a gun show. I have tried over two dozen barrels on it and not one of them will work with it.

So I have an unusable frame.

M-Tecs
08-21-2013, 08:42 PM
That's what "they" say so I bought an original frame at a gun show. I have tried over two dozen barrels on it and not one of them will work with it.

Why is it unusable? What isn't fitting or working properly?

kenyerian
08-21-2013, 09:11 PM
http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/ Lots of good info on contenders on Mike Bellm's website.

Anonym
08-21-2013, 09:40 PM
I have an original G1 in SS and it has a MUCH sweeter trigger than any G2 I've looked at. The issue with cocking, letting down, and recocking isn't that big of a deal so long as you know how to work the trigger guard. They typically don't require a full break down to recock.

Other than the G2 muzzleloader barrel (which is next to impossible to find anymore anyway), all barrels are supposed to interchange between the models. Some may require fitment with the locking lug, but that can be true within the G1 models or the G2 models, not just between them.

My G1 has two G1 barrels (both Custom Shop), a new G2 barrel, plus I've had a couple others that have since moved on. Never had any issues with any of the barrels fitting my frame. Those that seemed to not seat properly did so after a quick polish of the locking lug.

Nothing wrong with the G2s, but there was nothing wrong with the G1s either. I'd just recommend a later one that has the top-of-the-hammer selector switch and the "easy open" feature. They are definitely far easier to get a very nice trigger out of compared to the G2.

I also have an Encore, and unless you're going with heavy calibers, I will grab my little Contender over my Encore any day of the week for it's size and weight. Mine is strictly used as a carbine and not a pistol.

You can find anything you want for either model, whether it's a custom barrel or a custom/thumbhole stock. Get whatever you can find and whatever fits your budget and enjoy it! Just don't pass up a nice G1 because of those trying to market the G2...

NoZombies
08-22-2013, 02:27 PM

I'll give you $50 for it ;)

williamwaco
08-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Why is it unusable? What isn't fitting or working properly?

The G2 barrels will not lock into battery.
You can install it into the frame and insert the hinge pin but you cannot close it.

I am told but that do not know that the original barrels work fine with the G2 frame.
I know for sure that the G2 barrels will not work with the original frame.
( Of course, I have not tried all of them but I did take it to a gun store and tried it with two dozen different barrels and none of them would close up. )

halfslow
08-22-2013, 11:50 PM
WW:
I thought surely SPS would be able to help.

The Contender has a removable firing pin bushing.
Have you tried a new barrel with it out?
I have heard that the firing pin bushings were sometimes shimmed to set head space.
That could interfere with the lockup.

williamwaco
08-23-2013, 08:40 PM
WW:
I thought surely SPS would be able to help.

The Contender has a removable firing pin bushing.
Have you tried a new barrel with it out?
I have heard that the firing pin bushings were sometimes shimmed to set head space.
That could interfere with the lockup.

SPS is where I tried out all the various G2 barrels.
At that time he didn't have any of the older ones. I guess I should try that again.
He said the G2 Barrels could be modified to work without damaging them.
I had him modify one and it works, about two times out of three.

ubetcha
08-28-2013, 09:21 PM

Does this also include the Encore?

leadman
08-31-2013, 06:21 PM
If the new Contender barrels don't work on the frame you bought there is something going on with it. I have 3 G1 frames and have barrels from very early to just a couple of years old. A couple of the barrels had locking lugs that needed to be thinned a little to work. The tip on the recoil plate is a good one and easy to check. Try to close the barrel and see if the chamber end of the barrel is hitting the frame or recoil plate. If the recoil plate there is a screw in front of the hammer that holds it in. I do have some of the Bellm shims that are used to set the plate closer to the barrel so it is possible someone did this.
Also look at the side of the frame where the standing breech meets the main part of the frame. This is where a wave in the metal will clue you to a stretched frame. You have to catch the light just right to see it. THere might also be an issue with the lock just under the breech of the frame that the locking lugs slide into and push it back.
Take a permanent marker and darken the locking lugs on the barrel and then try to close it. This will tell you if they are going under the frame to push the lock back.
They are also making an Encore frame with a Weathershield finish. I bought one sight unseen as I could not find one to look at. It is a rough surface that looks like it was sandblasted then some type of chemical process is done to it to prevent rust. Not very good looking at all and I will not buy another. It does work just fine though.

cheetah
09-01-2013, 10:40 PM
"The G2 barrels will not lock into battery.
You can install it into the frame and insert the hinge pin but you cannot close it."

The Leupold DD base overhang can interfere with the top of an early frame - there has to be daylight.

Ken TN
09-05-2013, 03:12 AM
I sold all of my Contenders 2 blue and 2 stainless. I now have 4 of the G2's also 2 blue and 2 stainless. The G2's can have a great trigger pull if you follow Mike Bellm's directions on his web site. www.BELLMTCS.COM He also has springs to make the pull lighter and also higher power hammer springs for better ignition of primers if needed. He's done a LOT of barrel work for me and I can't say enough about his great work.

When I converted to the G2's I found a few of the original barrels did not allow me to cock the hammer. The G2 newer barrels have a slightly different locking lug.
I called TC and told them I needed new lugs for all the barrels and the lady balked at the request. When I reminder her that all their ads indicated the G2 took all prior barrels and that we had an issue with misrepresentation and false advertising I ask to speak with a manager. He sent out lugs for all of my barrels...15 at the time.

Check with http://edstc.com/ Ed was the treasure for the TC Collectors association and sells barrels and some frames. If he does not have one I bet he can direct you to one or place a want ad in the ONE GOOD SHOT TC Collector magazine for you.

I have just added a stainless Encore rifle to the mix in 204 and 243, just need to load and sight it in.

Ken

unclebill
11-10-2013, 04:02 PM
i have a 1975 contender with the original .357 mag bbl.
and a brand new T/C .22lr match bbl.
both function perfectly.