PDA

View Full Version : road trip, NJ via PA

Czech_too
08-20-2013, 06:54 AM
Later in the year I intend on visiting some family out in NJ. Figure on stopping in Pottsville, PA maybe do the Yuengling tour and stay overnite in Frackville, PA. Any interesting shops in that general area? By interesting shops I mean muzzleloaders in particular, although I do collect beer glasses also.

Brian

Ithaca Gunner
08-20-2013, 07:11 AM
Dixon's Muzzle Loading Shop just off I-78 Crumsville-Kutztown exit, (PA) that may be a little out of your way, but worth it. It's like a supermarket for muzzle loaders and black powder guns in general. They host a gun maker's fair in July/August that's a real treat to attend. Google them for contact info, directions, and hours.

I did the Yuengling tour about 6 years ago, it's well worth the side trip and if I remember right, it was free, but you'll want to spend some money in the gift shoppe. I love the 1907 calendar with the dogs!

Sasquatch-1
08-20-2013, 07:48 AM
If you are into old trains, Strasburg is about 1.5 hours away. Great train museum there. Also a lot to do for young kids and right in the middle of Amish country.

Boondocker
08-20-2013, 09:04 AM
If your in Pottsville you have to head to Dixons. I don't know where you are going in Jersey but 78 East by dixons heads you to Jersey also. Plus they are 15 miles from a real nice Cabelas.
http://mapq.st/1bPp2Hb

http://www.dixonmuzzleloading.com/index.php?section=muzzleloadingshop&link=contact

dragon813gt
08-20-2013, 09:55 AM
I know it's a tourist trap. But Cabela's is about 15 minutes from Pottsville. There are a lot of nice mounts.

Czech_too
08-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the 'tips'. I had been told about Strasburg by the relatives. Now I know why, their big into trains, large and small. Dixon's I had heard of but it just didn't register, I attribute that to the gray matter going the way of the hair line. Definitely gonna have to put it on the map. The Yuengling tour is still free but in order to make the last one, on a weekday, I'd have to leave here about 6 A.M. and while I am an early riser that's pushin' it. It would be much easier to do it on the way back. Beer glasses to go, my kind of place. I made the Cabelas outside Columbus a couple of weeks ago. Managed to only walk out with a Pietta '58 Army.

Bad Water Bill
08-20-2013, 02:57 PM
You might want to check with BLACKSMITH.

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.

Ed Barrett
08-20-2013, 07:18 PM
Have a Black and Tan for me at the brewery. I did some computer systems work for the Pottsville Republican newspaper 30 years ago. You might think of stopping at Hersey PA too.

Blacksmith
08-20-2013, 11:24 PM
It depends on when you are making the trip and where in Jersey you are headed. Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association has a show in October, some local clubs have shoots open to the public, across from Strasburg Rail Road is Pennsylvania Rail Road Museum, the DuPont Black Powder Works at the Hagley Museum in Wilmington Delaware, Sarco moved to Pennsylvania, +1 on Dixon's, around Philly are lots of historic sites, the mercer museum is a little north, an hour south is Baltimore, another hour + puts you in Washington DC for Smithsonian and NRA Museum. Lots to see depending on available time and interests.

Ithaca Gunner
08-21-2013, 04:27 PM
I forgot to tell you, Yuengling has their Oktoberfest beer out now! I like their Bock a little better, but the Oktoberfest runs a close second. Stock up while it's available!

oldfart1956
08-21-2013, 09:21 PM
If you're traveling on I-81 be sure and get off at the Scotland, Pa. Exit! I think it's exit 21 now. Fort Chambers Gun Shop. Jim Cullers has been catering to the muzzleloading crowd for more than 40 years. He always has a rack of nice custom guns on consignment (looking for a left-hand flint 12ga.?..he had one!) and is well stocked on most everything. And he carries all the major brands and has parts and supplies. Been buying there myself since 1976. Tell him Audie sent you. :) He has a website also. Audie..the Oldfart..