PDA

View Full Version : 1851 Navy Cut barrel- Now loading lever flops around.

jabilli
08-20-2013, 06:32 AM
Hey folks-
A year or two back I cut my 1851 Confederate Navy revolver from full-barreled to about the same length as the shorter barreled (I suppose some call it the "Sheriff" configuration.)

Yeah, I know. I should have just kept it as-is and bought a shorter barreled version- In retrospect I realize my decision was a poor one. :-p

Anyhow, the loading lever no longer has that little latch that keeps it in place... Any suggestions for keeping the lever up where it should be? I've used a rubber band, but I'd prefer to use a more permanent and not-so-crappy looking alternative. Suggestions?

BTW- A 3/8's socket wrench extension fits the square part of the loading level very well. ^^

Ithaca Gunner
08-20-2013, 07:28 AM
It's a gut gun, just do away with it, or mill the barrel and what's left of the lever for a modified Walker type loading lever hook.

KCSO
08-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Yes you cut just a little too much off. If you had left another inch you could have set the catch back. Now you need to do like the Walkers did and run a spring clip through the loading lever. As the lever is pretty useless as is you might want to file out a filer block and erase the lever all together. Or you could do like Ithaca Gunner said too.

Sorry

bigted
08-20-2013, 03:04 PM
when I cut my brass Remington down I just took the latch and re-used it for the shorter lever and drilled the loading lever and used the spring and catch attachment for holding it in place like it did when original.

the 3/8ths extension is a great idea for using the loading lever that is snipped close to the hinge. it looks cool this way as well when the lever is snapped up in place... rather then just gone. [my opinion]. if you do just do away with the lever as many did and have done ... then just have a brass loading ramrod built with a nice ball on the end to protect your palm when loading the little hummer.

I figured that my brass frame revolver was a good candidate for my experiments as it were cheap and wont last for a great many full power shots anyway without stretching the frame. so I fired up the hacksaw and gathered files and stones and set about doing just what you are doing. keep going and post your progress and as soon as I get back to my project ill post photo's of mine as well.

fogg64
08-20-2013, 08:00 PM
I cut my '51 just about as short as yours. I keep the loading lever out til I need to reload. It only takes a few seconds to install plus the lever is still the original length.

John Allen
08-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Could you silver solder on a spring clip or maybe a tab for a piece of leather to loop over the nub.

Good Cheer
08-21-2013, 12:50 PM
Could you silver solder on a spring clip or maybe a tab for a piece of leather to loop over the nub.

A neodymium wafer magnet? I use one under the rear sight ladder on a 1842 Fremont. It's like epoxy that you can take off and put back on!
:drinks:

45 Bravo
08-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Dude, cool gun, a little short, but it does look better than no lever at all.

Oh, Why is your wedge in upside down?

45 Bravo

jabilli
08-22-2013, 01:56 AM

jabilli
08-22-2013, 01:59 AM
Solution found! As Good Cheer suggested, a neodymium magnet works swimmingly. I think I'll grind a bit off of the top of the loading lever to account for the space the magnet takes up- The way it currently is (not flush) kinda drives me crazy. :-p

45 Bravo- The reason it's in upside down is because sometimes I can be an idiot. hahah :-p Thanks for pointing that out, now I know which way it should go in. :-)

45 Bravo
08-22-2013, 08:16 AM
Yes that would drive me crazy to with that in there. At that angle.

How about this.
Drill a small hole in the flat top part of the loading lever and put a smaller neodymium magnet countersunk in the hole flush?

Then it would sit back in its normal position.

Just a thunk
I have a smaller magnet (about 1/8 to 3/16 in diameter) if you need it I can mail it to you

45 Bravo

jabilli
08-24-2013, 04:10 AM
45- Bravo: A kind offer, thank you. :-) I think I'll just stick with how I've got it right now- I Dremeled the top portion of where the loading lever is round, I'd say it fits pretty well.

bigted
08-27-2013, 06:26 PM
that is the stuff! how does it stay put when the trigger is pulled and under recoil? if it stays put then you have a winner for sure AND the look of a "full" revolver appearance.

Baron von Trollwhack
08-27-2013, 09:04 PM
BTW, the Sheriff configuration was one with a 5 inch long barrel. Mine is Navy Arms from 1967. You have made a belly gun.

BvT

45 Bravo
08-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Looks good, No floppy!

Works for you, works for me!!

Like the extension rod too!

45 Bravo

John Allen
08-29-2013, 09:37 PM
This was great idea I never thought about a magnet