PDA

View Full Version : Contender re chamber questions ...

CATTLEMAN
08-20-2013, 12:59 AM
I am considering re-chambering a contender barrel currently chambered for a rimmed cartridge to a slightly larger rimless cartridge. I have access to a lathe and a skilled machinist / teacher (who is not a gunsmith) to walk me through the lathe operation and setup. I am not interested in hiring it done as my real goal is to learn the process with hands on experience.

My questions are:
Are contender extractors hardened?
Are replacement extractors available and if they are where?
In switching to a rimless chamber will I need a new extractor or can the old one be cut to work?
Is it best to re-chamber the barrel with the extractor in place or to remove it and cut it separately.
If it should be cut after the barrel is re-chambered should it be cut re-installed in the barrel or completely separate?
Any tips on doing these re-chambers?

leftiye
08-20-2013, 05:57 AM
It would help to know the desired before and after calibers. Used to be able to buy extractors from T/C, don't know about now after the move. Should be able to re contour the old one as there is extra metal. Rimless extractors do work differently than rimmed ones do BTW. I'd fer sure remove the extractor whilst chambering. The problem with having it in place and cutting it or the chamber is that it won't be held secure and it will rattle/chatter might destroy your reamer and/or your chamber or extractor.

CATTLEMAN
08-20-2013, 01:19 PM
The conversion I am contemplating is 22 WRM to 5.7 johnson (aka 22 MMJ spitfire or 30 carbine x 22)

Wayne S
08-20-2013, 02:19 PM
http://bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=24

Or SSK industries is where I would go to ask your questions

ratboy
08-20-2013, 10:46 PM
The conversion I am contemplating is 22 WRM to 5.7 johnson (aka 22 MMJ spitfire or 30 carbine x 22)

i rechambered a 22wmr to donaldson wasp.
the extractor in my barrel was not hardened.
i removed the extractor, cut the chamber and then used a file to fit the extractor. were i to do it again, i might try to cut the chamber with the extractor installed but it was not hard to fit by hand.
i think the biggest worry would be making sure the extractor does not move during the process.

CATTLEMAN
08-25-2013, 02:10 AM
I appreciate all the information!!!

Thanks