PDA

View Full Version : Boolits out of round?

bbwhais
08-19-2013, 11:05 PM
What is an acceptable amount of out oc round for a cast boolit? I am casting 158 gn 38 cal Lee tumble lube swc. I am having .001 and .0015 varences in the boolit bases. Will this cause me problems when loading as cast? As cast is .3595 to .3605. Thanks for all the help you guys /gals have provided so far.

mroliver77
08-20-2013, 12:42 AM
You will never know.

Some of use "Beagle" our molds which is shimming the halves to not fully close. I have went .005 or so. Running the boolit through a sizing die moves the metal around and makes the boolit somewhat round. As long as the out of roundness is even or balanced it causes no problem. This will allow one to increase the diameter of a boolit without permanently changing the mold.

I know very few that can shoot handguns well enough to notice inferior boolits anyhow! ;)

JeffinNZ
08-20-2013, 06:10 AM
Don't worry about. They'll be round upon exiting your muzzle.

pdawg_shooter
08-20-2013, 09:21 AM
Don't worry about. They'll be round upon exiting your muzzle.

Yep, time you shove the bullet down the barrel with 12000/15000psi behind it, it will be just as round as the bore is.

ku4hx
08-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Will this cause me problems when loading as cast?

I'm fairly certain you'll be able to shove them into your appropriately flared cases with little difficulty, but that's not the real issue. Create a few dummy rounds using boolits of various diameters and see if they chamber OK. The only way to tell for sure is to actually try them; everything else is just guessing.

fcvan
08-20-2013, 01:27 PM
I read, and later tried, loading some out of round as cast boolits, and then pulled them. The process of seating and crimping can and does resize a boolit. If the dies are set incorrectly, the boolit will be too small. If seated and crimped properly it will true up an out of round boolit to a degree. Beyond that, the boolit will be resized to bore diameter upon launch.