PDA

View Full Version : What is the vent for?

slughammer
10-17-2007, 07:48 PM
What is the reason for the venting around the nipple? Is it to bleed off extra pressure and reduce the force that the primer is pushing back? Or is it because the primer can't contain the pressure and will rupture?

I'm shooting a TC Black Diamond with a 209 primer. The amount of venting back into the action is making a mess of things. I don't mind cleaning the black powder out of the barrel, but I would rather not get it back into the lock work.

I've seen conversions where they are using a 25acp brass; does that close the system and contain the whole works, or is it vented also?

Buckshot
10-18-2007, 01:17 AM
.............I thought you were talking about a vented nipple. I don't have any experience with an inline. I didn't think they'd be vented?

..........Buckshot

slughammer
10-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Thats ok, I don't have any experience with a percussion side lock.

On my inline nipple, there is venting and lots of it.

Blammer
10-18-2007, 01:44 PM
on my percussion side lock there is a "vent" on the hammer part. This prevents the "blowback" from 'recocking' the hammer.

the vent could possibly be doing the same thing, preventing "blowback" damage by not allowing the 'hammer' or 'firing pin' from being thrust violently backwards due to excaping gases.

freedom475
11-05-2007, 03:40 AM
When I used to shoot with a mountain man club I noticed many of the shooters had vented nipples(a very small hole in the side of the nipple) on there cap lock guns.
When I asked "why?", they said that there was a pocket of air trapped between the powder in the barrel and the cap. When the cap is fired the trapped air is compressed, causing slow ignition and missfires. But with the vent the air has a place to go thus allowing for a faster more reliable ignition.

I am not familiar with an in-line but the vent might stop primer blowout.

MT Gianni
11-05-2007, 12:39 PM
TC offered this on their sidelocks, Uncle Mike called it a "Hot Shot" if i recall correctly. TC must have carried it over into their in-lines. Freedom is correct for the reason's behind it. Gianni